Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Tuesday 8th

5m recovery run. Went out late - as I'm normally an afternoon runner - possibly my latest run ever (9pm). Felt very hungry during run - just had dinner 2 hrs previously, so maybe hadn't got enough during the day - also mad busy with work & MBA.

5.06 miles @ 8.04/m

Wednesday 9th
    8 X 2 mins @ 3k pace.

1st off, changed my settings to metric as I'm focusing on 5k/10k for the coming months, so I want to get used to KM splits.

Ran 2.37km warm up down to the Phoenix Park and then done 8x2 mins with 2 mins recovery run in between.

2 min splits were on average 0.53km in distance.
    Split paces (KM) as follows:
    1. 3.47
    2. 3.46
    3. 3:41
    4. 3:44
    5. 3:42
    6. 3:39
    7. 3:41
    8. 3:36

ran each recovery at about 5:50 pace.
    2.71km home @ 5:37 cool down.

Really enjoyed that session - found the splits tough, but delighted that I kept the pace quick and didn't lapse as the reps went on.
    Next weeks session is a hill session (8x1min) and the a repeat of tonights but tougher as its 10 x 2 mins.

In other news today..........................I've bought the kindle version of Daniels, only cost about €10 on Amazon. So thats in the mix for the coming weeks if I can find time to read something other than a college book.....................

total KM 12:25 @ 4:48/km (58.49 mins)

Total for Jan: 69.7 km / ~43miles

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Tuesday 8th

5m recovery run. Went out late - as I'm normally an afternoon runner - possibly my latest run ever (9pm). Felt very hungry during run - just had dinner 2 hrs previously, so maybe hadn't got enough during the day - also mad busy with work & MBA.

5.06 miles @ 8.04/m

Wednesday 9th
    8 X 2 mins @ 3k pace.

1st off, changed my settings to metric as I'm focusing on 5k/10k for the coming months, so I want to get used to KM splits.

Ran 2.37km warm up down to the Phoenix Park and then done 8x2 mins with 2 mins recovery run in between.

2 min splits were on average 0.53km in distance.
    Split paces (KM) as follows:
    1. 3.47
    2. 3.46
    3. 3:41
    4. 3:44
    5. 3:42
    6. 3:39
    7. 3:41
    8. 3:36

ran each recovery at about 5:50 pace.
    2.71km home @ 5:37 cool down.

Really enjoyed that session - found the splits tough, but delighted that I kept the pace quick and didn't lapse as the reps went on.
    Next weeks session is a hill session (8x1min) and the a repeat of tonights but tougher as its 10 x 2 mins.

In other news today..........................I've bought the kindle version of Daniels, only cost about €10 on Amazon. So thats in the mix for the coming weeks if I can find time to read something other than a college book.....................

total KM 12:25 @ 4:48/km (58.49 mins)

Total for Jan: 69.7 km / ~43miles

Sorry RK very hard to be impressed by those splits when they are in a foreign language!

Can't get my head around it yet - actually had to write out some splits in KM and corresponding mile pace and stick it on my wall - just so I'd know what the 'real' (mile) pace was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Sorry RK very hard to be impressed by those splits when they are in a foreign language!
    Can't get my head around it yet - actually had to write out some splits in KM and corresponding mile pace and stick it on my wall - just so I'd know what the 'real' (mile) pace was.

What is this KM thing that one speaks of?

Kilos per Mile?

Get back to the real stuff!! :D That Kilos per mile business is a load of malarkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Your splits are looking quite impressive, especially in the 1200m loops on Monday. I'll be very interested to see how this plays out with the Park Runs.

• Advertisement

thanks, I picked a 5k plan that has a lot of interval work.

As the weeks go on, there are more reps and some intervals get longer.
    The types on intervals also get interesting with more 'compound' runs - it adds a lot of variety.
    Theres also some longer runs (up to 12 miles) with the last 1-2 miles at 5k pace. - so it'll be very interesting to see how it translates to 5k races!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

blockic wrote: »
    That Kilos per mile business is a load of malarkey!

I have this vision of dazza and blockic dictating their posts to a secretary using shorthand, who sends the comments, via a series of tubes ;), to someone with a computer and internet connection :)

RayCun wrote: »
    I have this vision of dazza and blockic dictating their posts to a secretary using shorthand, who sends the comments, via a series of tubes ;), to someone with a computer and internet connection :)

It's digital dication that we young folk use these days :D

Thur 10th Jan

I coach a girls U13 GAA team, so we had our 1st session back today. Keeps me active, but nothing to report.

Also play 5-Aside football on a Thursday night, this was also the 1st night back. Think I sweated a couple of barrels worth during the hour!
    I'd love to know the scientific stimulus you get from 5 Aside. All I know is that when I woke up on Friday morning, my Glutes were sore and both my feet felt like they had grade 9 PF. No Joke.

Friday 11th Jan

Rest Day.
    Heres what my rest day entailed...............
    In work for 8am meeting, followed by wall to wall meetings up to 5pm. Home for 5:30 then up to my home office to complete my 1st project for MBA final year - was there til 11 (ish).

Then spent about an hour looking over posts from Tergat (a Boards Legend - If you haven't read his stuff, search his name on the Boards search bar).

Sat 12th Jan

Went down to the Phoenix park with the intention of doing an 'Easy Run' - started off that way for 3 miles or so. As I approached the Khyber (had to trick the dog into going down the Kyhber) I was thinking about how many of the DCM race series go up Military road, and I haven't ran that hill in a few months, at the same time as I was thinking that a couple went by on their bikes, so what was a guy to do? I shot off up the Khyber for about 0.4m at about 5:45 pace for the duration. Racing the bikes to the top. (I love racing when the other parties dont know they're racing!)
    During this part of the run, the only thing in my head was "How am I going to explain sprinting up the Khyber as part of a recovery run on Boards?"
    Felt very 'energised' (knackerd) after that and went the remaining distance at a comfortable easy pace, with the exception of the last 500m where I went for an all out sprint to mimic the last bit of a race.

7.69m (12.37 km) @ 7:48/m pace

Sun 13th Jan

Was raining & snowing on Sunday morning, so I donned my Leggings (free last year with a pair of runners) for their 2nd run ever! Intention was to do an easy run and during this run do my 8X100m hill intervals that is in my plan for the coming week.

Due to 2 games of footie, I wanted to do this session today to ensure I'd get to my 2 soccer games and have time for my other session. Most of the run was at a recovery pace and I picked a small enough hill for the 8x100 - while running by the green that seperates the Chapelizorid gate from the hospital, theres a little path going through the green - that'll do I said - so done the 8 100m repeats there.

Normally I have them programmed in my watch, but not on this occasion, so just sprinted to a count of 15 and took a walk recovery back down.
    Finished these and carried on with my 'recovery' run!!
    Overall 7:07m (11:38km) at 8:31 pace ave.

thats 32 miles for the week and 58 for Jan so far.

I know that this week has seen my do 3 sessions and a tough game of 5-aside football - with not too many 'real' recovery runs.
    Hopefully next week I'll address this and do a couple of recovery runs in amognst the footie and 10x2min session planned.

My plan for next week is:

Monday AM 3m recovery
    Monday PM 5-Aside

Tuesday 5 mile recovery

Wednesday 10 x 2 mins

Thurs: U13 GAA training & 5-aside

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Either Malahide Park Run or 7m easy

Sunday: 40 mins at tempo

Mon 14th Jan
    Didn’t get out for the planned recovery run due to work getting in the way!

PM: 1 hour of football on Astro. Met an old friend who has turned into a 3:06 marathoner! Good to trade stories.

Tuesday 15th Jan
    11:05km in 4.56km/m (6.86miles @7.57)

The older Ickle ‘un joined Donore Harriers tonight, so I dropped her & her buddy down, left the car there and went for a nice loop. Down to Park Gate street, up Chesterfield avenue, through Whites gate, back down Knockmaroon hill to Donore.

Was a cold night, so didn’t push the pace, was supposed to be an easy run after all.
    After the run, the legs felt sore. Not sure if it was the older Asics (450 miles?) or the cold or a mixture of both.

Wednesday 16th Jan
    10 x 2 mins (2 min recovery)

Warm up: 2.37km @ 5.4 pace

1st 5 reps going downhill in Chesterfield Ave (with headlamp!)
    2nd 5 reps going uphill.

Rep km
    1 3.49 (6:08)
    2 3.47
    3 3:40
    4 3:40 (5.54)
    5 3:45
    6 3:46
    7 3:47
    8 3:41
    9 3:47
    10 3:57 (6.21)

Cool Down: 2.64km @ 5.5km/m pace.

1st 6 recoveries, I walked 30 secs and jogged for 1min 30
    Last 4 recoveries were 50/50 walk run.

Overall felt much more comfortable that the 8x2min last week. I focused on breathing and form.
    By the last rep I was ready for a good pace, but no matter how hard I pushed, it was the slowest rep, albeit I was running uphill outside Whites Gate in Phoenix Park. Maybe the uphill (or mild incline as some call it) was tking its toll – the effort felt hard, which is the important thing.

Came home, showered, ate then hat to go for a 2mile walk to get the dog out – done my legs good.

Jan: 117.6 km (73.1 miles) from 13 runs.

• Advertisement

Thur 17th
    Didn't get out for my planned recovery run on Thursday as my car was stolen from my driveway!!

Thurs PM: 1 hour of 5-Aside - great workout - sweating buckets. Felt really strong for the whole hour - normally feel tired near the end.

Friday 18th
    a bit sore after Thursdays football, the wind & rain didn't look too inspiring to me.

Had a cup of HTFU and went out for a 4m recovery - average pace 8:13. Felt like a session battling that wind & rain.
    Even the dog thought it was mad running in that.

Think I need a recovery after the recovery..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thur 17th
    Didn't get out for my planned recovery run on Thursday as my car was stolen from my driveway!!
    Jeez that's a bit of a sickener :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Thur 17th

Thurs PM: 1 hour of 5-Aside - great workout - sweating buckets. Felt really strong for the whole hour - normally feel tired near the end.

Friday 18th
    a bit sore after Thursdays football, the wind & rain didn't look too inspiring to me.

Had a cup of HTFU and went out for a 4m recovery - average pace 8:13. Felt like a session battling that wind & rain.
    Even the dog thought it was mad running in that.

Think I need a recovery after the recovery..........
    Sorry to hear about the car Al.

Thur 17th

What a sickener for ya! Was it found or anything yet?

Cheers guys. Not found yet.

Bigger question is will I bother doing Malahide tomorrow or a 7m run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Cheers guys. Not found yet.

Bigger question is will I bother doing Malahide tomorrow or a 7m run?

Thats a kick in the preverbials, Malahide could be well boggy in that weather. 7m run might be the better option.

My thoughts exactly tang. And I'll get a lie in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

My thoughts exactly tang. And I'll get a lie in :-)

Yeah sure you'll need to be up early if you're going to hitch a ride to malahide

damn catholic guilt is ravaging my brain for that low blow

guinang wrote: »
    Yeah sure you'll need to be up early if you're going to hitch a ride to malahide

damn catholic guilt is ravaging my brain for that low blow

I lol'd (as my daughters would say)! :)

Sat 19th

The plan called for a 40min tempo run, but was tempted to do Malahide park run instead.
    With Raheny 5 mile next week and the possibility that Malahide would be a bit of a mudbath, the tempo run would serve me best.

Looking at Daniels, a 40 min tempo would be 7:00m/mile based on my Vdot of 51.8 (very technical now..............)

Set out with my running buddy, parked the car in Farmleigh and 1 mile warm up.
    Went into the 40m tempo and knew instantly it would be a struggle to keep a smooth 7:00m/m pace - I think due to the many interval sessions, I was quickening up to 6:30's, then slowing down to hit the pace. Bit of a pain really - need to work on that.

After 35 mins into the tempo pace, I was tiring - the 2 games of footie and the 2 sessions in a week were coming back to me.

Decided not to push the last 5 mins - I was happy enough with a 35 min tempo as I haven't done a tempo in a long time now. So done 2 miles back to the car.

Splits:
    8:19
    7:02
    6:51
    6:46
    6:53
    6:47
    8:01
    8:06

Had a couple of interesting turns of direction during this run!

In keeping with the Wildlife theme that has become prevalent on others logs :-), I was just starting the tempo part of the run when a group on horses came into view by the Aras - now, as I had the dog with me, I had a choice - Keep going and the dog would bark at the horses and there'd be a danger of one of the kids being thrown, Stop (that wasn't going to happen, I was doing a tempo ffs) or change direction - so took a detour up the visitor center road for a few mins while the horses crossed the road.

Then while running on the Acres road, I was going to go toward the Popes cross, but there were a load of deer just on the edge, blocking the path. So again, due to having the dog in tow, I went back around Acres. Damn wildlife - getting in the way of my running.

Also decided that this Kilometer thing is not for me - I can only think in miles.........I tried to modernise, but failed :-)

Overall 8:02m at 7:20average (58:48 mins)

Jan Totals:85.1miles

• Advertisement

Also decided that this Kilometer thing is not for me - I can only think in miles.........I tried to modernise, but failed

Finally saw sense so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sat 19th

Also decided that this Kilometer thing is not for me - I can only think in miles.........I tried to modernise, but failed :-)

Overall 8:02m at 7:20average (58:48 mins)

Jan Totals:85.1miles

Ha ha .I know how you feel. It reminds me of that old movie with Clint Eastwood "Firefox" where he steals a Russian fighter jet but to fly it he has to "think in Russian". I feel like KMs are a different language running-wise. Good work today man.

Sun 20th

6.17m recovery run - average pace 8:17 - nice run, felt comfortable and not too cold. Didn't look at the watch once.

Monday 21st

4x1200 (3k pace) with 200m rec

Was looking forward to this, so due to our US brethren being on holidays today, my afternoon was meeting free, so I took advantage of the daylight and went off for the session about 3pm - thankfully most of the snow was gone, but it was still very wet!

Done 1 mile warm up and then went into the session. As I'm now reading Daniels, I knew that my VDOT meant that 1200 repeats should be done in 4:36mins - about 6:10 pace.

The 1st rep was ok, 2nd rep went too fast as a result the 3rd rep was painful - I died in the last 200meters - didn't think I'd be able for a 4th rep, but surprisingly it was my most controlled rep and felt fine :-).

I walked (very slowly!) all the 200 recoveries - varied from 1:40-1:50 mins.

Rep Time(mins) Pace Max HR
    1 4:34 6:05 177
    2 4:27 5:56 164
    3 4:35 6:08 166
    4 4:33 6:05 166

1 mile cool down.

The HR surprised me – I thought it would be higher, especially at the 3rd rep.

Delighted with this session – 5:48miles in 43.27 mins.

Jan total: 96.7m

** edit - I really need to learn to do a table **

This is what I get for mixing up my current plan and the Daniels book.

Just reread my plan for today: Run 4x1200 at 5k pace not 3k pace as I done- and heres me working out vdots etc........eejit.

No harm done - maybe I'm sandbagging the 5k pace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

This is what I get for mixing up my current plan and the Daniels book.

Just reread my plan for today: Run 4x1200 at 5k pace not 3k pace as I done- and heres me working out vdots etc........eejit.

No harm done - maybe I'm sandbagging the 5k pace?
    No wonder you walked the recoveries :p

Sun 20th

6.17m recovery run - average pace 8:17 - nice run, felt comfortable and not too cold. Didn't look at the watch once.

Monday 21st

4x1200 (3k pace) with 200m rec

Was looking forward to this, so due to our US brethren being on holidays today, my afternoon was meeting free, so I took advantage of the daylight and went off for the session about 3pm - thankfully most of the snow was gone, but it was still very wet!

Done 1 mile warm up and then went into the session. As I'm now reading Daniels, I knew that my VDOT meant that 1200 repeats should be done in 4:36mins - about 6:10 pace.

The 1st rep was ok, 2nd rep went too fast as a result the 3rd rep was painful - I died in the last 200meters - didn't think I'd be able for a 4th rep, but surprisingly it was my most controlled rep and felt fine :-).

I walked (very slowly!) all the 200 recoveries - varied from 1:40-1:50 mins.

Rep Time(mins) Pace Max HR
    1 4:34 6:05 177
    2 4:27 5:56 164
    3 4:35 6:08 166
    4 4:33 6:05 166

1 mile cool down.

The HR surprised me – I thought it would be higher, especially at the 3rd rep.

Delighted with this session – 5:48miles in 43.27 mins.

Jan total: 96.7m

** edit - I really need to learn to do a table

Weekly Mileage|5.48 miles
    MTD|96.7 miles
    YTD|96.7 miles

There ya go!

Weekly Mileage|5.48 miles
    MTD|96.7 miles
    YTD|96.7 miles

There ya go!

Gentleman and a scholar. Much appreciated.

Tues 22nd
    Easy Run: 6.83miles @ 8:06/m pace.

Left my 1st born off at Donore Harriers and set off on a nice loop, cold but felt ok. Easy pace. Glad I had the headlamp in Phoenix park - nearly went on my ear a couple of times.

This run brought me over the 100 mile mark for the month - I'm delighted with this as my longest run in Jan was 8:19 miles, so it shows good consistent running 'most days'.

Also got me thinking that I'm on course for my 2nd largest milage month 'ever' - and got me asking myself - "what am I training for" - most people in their logs have a marathon ahead - for me its just about building speed right now. No real 'A' race until the 10k's in April - and I haven't started a 10k plan yet.

Wed 23rd Jan
    12x400 @ 3k pace

Wasn't sure if I should have done this or not, have had a lot of running days recently and not many down days. With Raheny next Sunday, I was tempted to leave this and not do it. Decided to do it and use the Raheny 5mile as one of next weeks sessions.

For the session itself, I felt good doing it.
    Two of the reps were uphill and were at 6:25 pace.
    All the other reps were between 5:54 and 6:10 pace.

Jogged the 200m recovery's

Weekly Mileage|18.6 miles

MTD|109.8 miles

YTD|109.8 miles

Thur 24 th
    1 hr of football.
    Was on a team of 4 against 5, so a lot of running (and some sweet goals :-) ).

Fri 25th

Legs felt ok after Wed session and Thursdays football, but still wanted to do a recovery run. Once the Sky's opened, I was tempted to sit it out. After a hot cup of HTFU, I put the gear on I wondered where the dog was, normally shes by the door waiting for me, she was hiding under the table as the weather was so bad! just went to a little park across from the house. It's a half mile loop, so done 8 loops in the lashings of rain, mainly just to be able to say on the log that I ran in the lashings of rain :-0 and add to my masculinity!

4.02m in 8:03m.

• Advertisement

Sat 26th
    3.05 miles @ 8:23 pace - easy run just to loosen the legs.

Sun 27th ** Raheny 5m **
    Pre Race:
    This race was never on the agenda for me, as it was never a 'goal race'.

So why was I as nervous as hell the day before and especially the morning of the race - Cant recall being this nervous before a race in the past? Even my kids asked me why was I taking deep breaths............

I think the nerves were down to registering for a 5m race without having done training beyond 5k for the last month. As I've been following a 5k plan, all my intervals and speed work were geared to 5k races - so I think in my head, once I hit 3.1miles, I'd grind to a complete stop :-)

Race Day
    Woke up feeling very relaxed and the legs felt in good shape - the 2 easy runs obviously done them good.
    I arrived in good time in Raheny, parked in the church, discovered Spurs were 1 down to Leeds, then went off grumpy to get my number......

Got my number - well organised set up - and back to the car for a while - got myself ready and went back to the course.
    Met davemcmahon in the hall again and shared a few words with him - thought I seen Digger & CL in the hall, would have went over to introduce myself, but I hadn't got a pen for an autograph :-), maybe next time.

Went out to do a warm up and met redrunner - good to see him on his feet - his little lad was doing one of the junior races - then it was into the coral.
    I thought that I had went fairly high up (as I read about previous races being congested) - but maybe I had got in too early as by the time the race started, I seemed very far back. (good to hear the 1 min silence for Heffo!).

My 1st mile was terrible (6.31)- constant zig zagging through people and trying to find space. I had hoped for a quicker 1st mile as I new I wouldn't have the endurance to hold the pace in mile 4-5.

As we approached the 2nd mile, I was still passing people, but had to chase to pass - it was still slower than planned at 6.25.
    3rd mile was much better - could stretch the legs more and managed a comfortable 6:20 - felt great at this stage - passed 5k in sub 20, and felt comfortable doing it.

Mile 4 was done in 6:18 - I was still feeling good at this stage, the burn only kicked in at the later stage of this mile - so maybe I wasn't pushing it hard enough earlier (especially in the 1st 2 miles). I was still passing people and not too many people passing me - so I must have been fairly far back at this stage.

Mile 5 came along(maybe the later part of mile 4), and as I was going up the hill, I lost concentration and settled in behind a group of people, their pace had slowed and I allowed mine to slow as well for a while - but I knocked myself out of that and kept going - turned the corner after the hill and got knocked for 6 with the wind that blowed - wasn't expecting that and my pace slowed drastically.
    We could hear the loudspeakers so knew we were close, my legs were burning at this stage but wasn't hearing the negative thoughts that I had before - it was all about pushing hard.
    Mile 5 was 6:37 - with the wind and hill, I feared worse but hoped for better!

Came to the park near the finish and tried to move past some people, but the legs hadn't got any more in them - a I rounded the corner I sprinted as hard as I could - passed a few people and finished in 32:24.

I was disappointed with this time as I had done 32:30 in the Race series in june '12 - so really wanted to do 32:00 (or at worse 32:15).

However - now, in hindsight, when I think of my goals - there was no substance behind this goal. Why did I think I could do 32:00, which is Sub 40 10k pace, when I've only done 3 weeks of a 5k training program?
    In hindsight, I'm delighted with the time, given the training and the conditions, in all honesty, I only felt the wind on the last mile (maybe a bit on mile 2).

On finishing I met Marthastew - she had just finished her race (33:xx) and was delighted but still remembered my 1st (real) name, despite only meeting her once, and was ever the lady (a legend in my books).

Walked back with Davemcmahon who was still buzzin' on his good time - then got to the car to hear that Spurs had lost to Leeds. Bummer.

** Learnings from today **
    (1) Have real expectations based on recent training rather than on hopefully beating an old time.
    (2) Ensure you get a decent place in the pen! - I was too far back - I'd say this cost me 10 secs.
    (3) Remember not to constantly talk about loosing 10 secs over a 32min 24 sec race to your family - they just dont get it!
    (4) Do a decent rekkie on the course. The hill surprised me as did the many downhill parts and flats.
    (5) Respect the full distance of the race and dont loose concentration, especially in a short race like this.

Delighted to read about so many great performances at this 5m, the Dungarvan race and the Hell&Back.
    Well done to everyone.

Ave 5:03m @ 6:26 pace

Advertisement