Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Did you get a ticket for Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nah - me getting one is like going through a marathon cycle without me getting injured - extremely rare :)

you get one.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nah - me getting one is like going through a marathon cycle without me getting injured - extremely rare :)

you get one.?

Im supposed to have one alright but i won t believe it till I have it in my hand. Due to collect tomorrow night. My old GAA team coming good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

A, I gotta say buddy that you either need to banish those demons asap and actually believe that you are capable of running sub 3 or else forget about it for this years marathon.

It seems to me that you are always half beaten before you cross the start line anytime you set a lofty target.

Training mileage is only part of the battle, getting your head in shape (I'm not referring to a statts style hairdo!) is just as important.

In reality, there is f&ck all difference between a 2.59 & 3.04 marathon

Gavlor wrote: »
    A, I gotta say buddy that you either need to banish those demons asap and actually believe that you are capable of running sub 3 or else forget about it for this years marathon.

It seems to me that you are always half beaten before you cross the start line anytime you set a lofty target.

Training mileage is only part of the battle, getting your head in shape (I'm not referring to a statts style hairdo!) is just as important.

In reality, there is f&ck all difference between a 2.59 & 3.04 marathon

Welcome back, hope the hols went well.
    Don't really agree about been beaten before crossing the startline.

Felt great at the start of the HM last week - emailed the coach the previous night and said same. All was well before the start.
    Was actually thinking of a 1:23 finish the days before the race. Had an email penned to the coach regarding same, but didn't send it.

Maybe my log only reflects the more negative aspects of how I'm feeling - but its more so on training runs.

Must rectify that if that's the perception of me.

• Advertisement

Welcome back, hope the hols went well.
    Don't really agree about been beaten before crossing the startline.

Felt great at the start of the HM last week - emailed the coach the previous night and said same. All was well before the start.
    Was actually thinking of a 1:23 finish the days before the race. Had an email penned to the coach regarding same, but didn't send it.

Maybe my log only reflects the more negative aspects of how I'm feeling - but its more so on training runs.

Must rectify that if that's the perception of me.

Hols were great, you are feeling the brunt of my post-holiday depression :D

I guess my point was that having read your race reports, particularly the hm's, there is an air of self doubt in your ability. Its Exaggerated as soon as things start to get tough. You've solid training done and definitely have the pace for sub 3. I don't really know what there is to be negative about!

Thursday 19th.

Plan was for 10m with 6-8 at MP.
    Out early enough for this one - decided to split the difference & do 7 at MP.

Put the watch on 'distance' and 'time' as I didn't want to get overly hung up on pace.

Pace felt good - I knew I was going faster than MP on some sections, but thought the wind and some inclines would level it out.
    Was a bit shocked when I downloaded the splits.

MP section:

So my 7m at MP became 7m at HMP - coach ain't gonna be happy at that........:confused:

1st 2 MP miles were downhill, so this helped me find a pace and I guess I just went with it.
    Felt comfortable enough throughout, with exception of uphill on Chesterfield and also a few sections into a headwind.

While much faster than planned - delighted to do it and find it comfortable.

Calf held up ok - into a good habit daily of managing it with ice, stretches, exercises and massage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

super session - did you have your heart monitor with you? be interested to see if your HMP miles were at your usual MP heart rate.

statss wrote: »
    super session - did you have your heart monitor with you? be interested to see if your HMP miles were at your usual MP heart rate.

yeah - my HR was 155 for the 10 miles - but the HMP miles started at 157 (87%) and rose to 167 (93%) by the last mile.

So, maybe average MP HR at the start - and hed that for about 5 miles - but by the 7th mile it was at my normal HMP HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

[

MP section:

So my 7m at MP became 7m at HMP - coach ain't gonna be happy at that........:confused:

You really do confuse me at times!! :rolleyes: Where was this last Saturday?

Great session, but bit risky pace wise so soon after Athlone esp with the calf! Bold Boy. ;)

From reading the log though it's not the first time you've taken the risky option! Couch has his hands full with you! :P

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    You really do confuse me at times!! :rolleyes: Where was this last Saturday?

Great session, but bit risky pace wise so soon after Athlone esp with the calf! Bold Boy. ;)

From reading the log though it's not the first time you've taken the risky option! Couch has his hands full with you! :P

Stop stirring..... I really thought I was running at MP as it felt confortable.
    Didn't have it on the watch so going by feel.

But I take your point regarding the HM and the calf - trust me the pace wasn't intentional.

Stop stirring..... I really thought I was running at MP as it felt confortable.
    Didn't have it on the watch so going by feel.

But I take your point regarding the HM and the calf - trust me the pace wasn't intentional.

So what you're REALLY saying is that when you don't think about the pace too much it seems a bit easier??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Gavlor wrote: »
    So what you're REALLY saying is that when you don't think about the pace too much it seems a bit easier??? ;)

sssshhhhh you telling him the secret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yeah - my HR was 155 for the 10 miles - but the HMP miles started at 157 (87%) and rose to 167 (93%) by the last mile.

So, maybe average MP HR at the start - and hed that for about 5 miles - but by the 7th mile it was at my normal HMP HR.

Could you hold 157 (87%) for a Marathon? Could you hold 167 (93%) for a marathon? If you continiued to run at that pace would the HR have kept rising? After how many miles would you have fell over? :pac:
    To be honest I'm surpirsed you can be running at 93% max HR and it feels like MP......

Edit: Sorry if I seem a bit harsh (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    After how many miles would you have fell over? :pac:

25.9 miles :cool: :D

You jogging Saturday RK?

Could you hold 157 (87%) for a Marathon? Could you hold 167 (93%) for a marathon? If you continiued to run at that pace would the HR have kept rising? After how many miles would you have fell over? :pac:
    To be honest I'm surpirsed you can be running at 93% max HR and it feels like MP......

Edit: Sorry if I seem a bit harsh (again)

Does anyone read the whole bloody message as opposed to just the paces :pac:

Had I of known what the pace was I'd have changed it - but I didn't monitor the pace - faster Pace wasn't intentional - felt comfortable - went with it. end of. full stop.

going to run with the 1:40 group on Sat - some before & some after.
    Not beering due to GAA match later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done A on the PB last week in Athlone and fair play for hanging in there. Sounds like a very tough run. Forget it now and move on. Look how comfortable you were in todays session. Different days different results.
    re the calf, mine keeps flaring up until i get the dreaded dry needling :eek: done and this fixes it, otherwise it just keeps coming back and is worse each time.
    Take care, follow your own gut for DCM. Its great to get everyones feedback here but at the end of the day you have to run the race.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Had I of known what the pace was I'd have changed it - but I didn't monitor the pace - faster Pace wasn't intentional - felt comfortable - went with it. end of. full stop.

I knew I was going to come across wrong.

No I did read your message. My surprise is that you can be running at 93% of your max HR and it feels easy. I guess it is hard to know by feel what MP effort is like until you have had the unfortunate experience of blowing up in a few of them (:o). Maybe an Idea would be to ignore pace in the MP sections but display HR. Maybe try to keep the HR to a fixed but sustainable number; one you feel that you could hold for a marathon. Let the pace be what it is and see afterwards. As you get fitter your pace will improve for the same effort.

I'd suggest for most people 85% max might be in and around that number...

Bummer about saturday maybe catch you after the race for a few miles...

I knew I was going to come across wrong.

No I did read your message. My surprise is that you can be running at 93% of your max HR and it feels easy. I guess it is hard to know by feel what MP effort is like until you have had the unfortunate experience of blowing up in a few of them (:o). Maybe an Idea would be to ignore pace in the MP sections but display HR. Maybe try to keep the HR, to a fixed but sustainable number one you feel that you could hold for a marathon. Let the pace be what it is and see afterwards. As you get fitter your pace will improve for the same effort.

I'd suggest for most people 85% max might be in and around that number...

Bummer about saturday maybe catch you after the race for a few miles...

:P

I understand what your saying - I don't plan on running that pace on Oct 28th, so hopefully the HR will be lower.

For the next PMP session - I'll do a better job of hitting the numbers.

edit:
    For now I'm trying to build a base of info on HR - I really dont understand training by HR - so Pace is my bible right now. Post DCM I'll be looking more into HR training using the info gained in this cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I think this session has been a little over analysed. You've run a really good sessions where a fast pace felt a lot easier than you otherwise would have anticipated. It's a great confidence boost going in to what is probably the peak of your training for DCM.

I wouldn't think too much about the training you have done thus far. If it's got you in the shape whereby you're capable of hitting your sessions over the next month then you'll be in a great place come the end of October. Plenty of training to get under the belt yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Remember the devices are to monitor your run not control it. I find checking in every 1-3 miles is enough. The less you look the better in my opinion.

Run easy, smooth and relaxed and enjoy yourself allow yourself to develop natural speed. When I get injured or sore I blame myself for running wrong. When I run from the core with forward lean gravity helps and my legs are the better. When I'm sore I try to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Normally running with to much focus on the lower limbs instead of a central focus with the legs and arms in locomotive action following my direction, as I describe it.

Maybe I'm wrong sure I'm only running a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great session. No comments, just a great session.

And don't be afraid to tell nosey bastards like me to fuck off now and again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

So now you're targeting 2:50??? Noice!

P.s. See you Sunday....you boys are in for one hell of a beating;)

You feeling better now, princess??!! :D

lets all go to RK's log and analyse the f*kc out of it..................again

Cleanman wrote: »
    So now you're targeting 2:50??? Noice!

P.s. See you Sunday....you boys are in for one hell of a beating;)

not a bloody Mayo man................

ahem............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ahem............

Mayo for salads, Dublin for Sam ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

lets all go to RK's log and analyse the f*kc out of it..................again

take the log offline unto DCM is over...that'll learn 'em :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ahem............
    272634.jpg
    keep-calm-mayo-for-sam.jpg

Advertisement