Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Yep, Corvallis is where I'll be. Nice micro brewery scene going on.

Actually, I'm starting to take back what I said......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Yep, Corvallis is where I'll be. Nice micro brewery scene going on.

Actually, I'm starting to take back what I said......

About me being a nice person? :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    You've had no real sustained improvement because you haven't exactly rested it. Would you not take a few days r&r and take stock then? I wouldn't be throwing away that training on a knee (calf) jerk reaction.

Even if you went 3.10/15 pace it's a pb and more vital marathon experience.

you know, I thought about that - long and hard - even about just going 3:20 - it would still be a PB.
    But it doesn't interest me - running the next 4-5 weeks then the 1 month recovery with potential long term damage to my calf for the sake of running a half baked race?
    I'd rather get the leg right - and stop flaffing about with training plans and internal mental strife and just nail the next cycle.

I've learned so much this training cycle - both physiologically and mentally.

statss wrote: »

Who's log will we over analyse now instead ?! Career Move? :pac:

I think thats started already..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

drquirky wrote: »
    Just to defend Portland its actually a pretty cool down. GREAT beer. Also- you aren't far away from the spiritual home of Asthma- Eugene, Oregon. If you are at all close- you should swing by, check out Hayward Field and run Pre's Trail....

Think Rogue Beers are from up that way can't stress enough how good the Pac NW is for beer.

FYP quirky ;)

Hard luck RK on the injury, now use the experience to cop the fook on with some of your crazy runs... You're not getting any younger! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Bummer - sorry to hear that RK. Fair play for making a decision (one way or the other). I don't know much about marathon training (apart from all the reading I do here:D) but sounds like your training was going great and that's got to give you huge confidence for a big year in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

http://www.chirunning.com/blog/entry/healing-running-injuries-with-the-bodys-wisdom

See if this helps. I find being positive helps and sending natural healing energy to the area! I do meditation and am a fan of dry needling using Chinese method!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Man, didn't see that one coming at all! Not sure what to think! Gutted for ya. :(

I didn't seem like you were ever even thinking about cutting it (from reading the log) but looks like you have given it good thought. Only you can make the best call as you know how bad the calf is more than any of us.

Having said that, (can't believe i'm going to say this!) I'm tending to agree with Gavlor. After all the training it would be benefitial to get another DCM under the belt even to jog around and enjoy the run/day, after all you have put so much into it with your plan leading up to it all year!

Take 5 days off running and give the calf actual rest, go for an easy run then next week and make the call closer to the time? I personally think that all is not lost yet!

The US trip not being at an ideal time probably had a say in the matter too I would think....

But at the end of the day, go with your gut.

By the way...
    * Having a coach who espouses the virtues of easy running was a revelation to me and had I engaged his help earlier, I'd be gliding to a sub 3 performance this year.

That lad has a big enough head as it is, we can't be making it any bigger! :D;)

Cheers Johnny -

its the fact that I'm limping while walking now that's really made the decision.
    I'm more worried about not letting it heal right and suffering calf issues all through next year - & at my age, there's not many good years left!
    So, giving it proper time to heal is important - its the "main thing" actually ;).

As for future plans - I was looking up marathons in Barca (March) & Kildare (April) - also looking at the HM in Waterford in Dec and Kilkenny in Feb - but I do also like the short stuff.

Whilst meant to be doing my near overdue final assessment, I read through my entire log from earlier (I think everyone should do that with their own log every now & then) - I certainly got great enjoyment out of training for 5k-10k's earlier in the year.
    It excites me (not in that way....) to think about getting back into this - but also mixing this with some decent longish runs and not only keeping the endurance base up, but building on it.

So I'll take time to decide what the next course of action is.

I got too worked up all last year over plans - wont happen next year. Its a simple sport.
    I'm sure the fast guy with the big head and penchant for easy running might help me out if needed - I'm sure there's a way you can train for everything all at once!!

Also meant to say earlier - the guys in Moone let me defer my race til next year - nice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just catching up on the break news. Jaysus, that I was not expecting! Truly devastated for you A and so impressed about how quickly and easily you've made your mind up.

I'd be the exact opposite and be dragging the arse out of it before I eventually made a call. Athlone HM case in point!

Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi RK, sorry to hear the calf has gotten to the limping stage...that was the stage i had to make my decision too. It was ok running but as soon as running stopped i was limping and thats not good. I've had the dry needling and few weeks rest and so far, back 1 week doing easy runs and there are thankfully no issues.

So hard and all as it may seem, it was the correst decision to make.

Enjoy the break in the US and try not stress, but just so you know the will to run will be even stronger now that its not an option!!:rolleyes: Take care!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Bummer :( Sorry to hear that RK

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

its the fact that I'm limping while walking now that's really made the decision.
    I'm more worried about not letting it heal right and suffering calf issues all through next year -

Really surprised to read that DCM was not going to happen. I didn't see that coming. I know you won't have taken that decision lightly and will have listened to your body. Once you can't walk properly it does make the decision easier in a way.
    & at my age, there's not many good years left!

Nonsense. We've at least another good 20 years running. Sure look at these M60 records to aim for:

5K 0:16:12 Adriaan Heijdens (NED)
    10K 0:34:14 Luciano Acquarone (ITA)
    Marathon 2:36:30 Yoshihisa Hosaka (JAP)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

outforarun wrote: »
    Nonsense. We've at least another good 20 years running. Sure look at these M60 records to aim for:

Sure Ed Whitlock was still banging out sub 3s into his 70s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Whitlock

Sub 3 not off the cards for a good long time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hopefully be back running mid October, too late for DCM but looking forward to setting new goals and cracking that sub 3 in 2014.

Ah Jesus, and there I was looking forward to a bit of a smack down for DCM13... :(:(:(

Seriously, sorry to hear about the injury. Get well, and we might have a few Parkruns in Malahide or St Annes in December...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Only catching up now, sorry about the injury, look after it and the base you've build up will have you flying when you recover, sub 3 next spring has a nice ring to it

Cheers guys - really appreciate the messages.

In America with work this week, in Portland Oregon, so really missing running around here!!
    Injury update - Today was the 1st day walking without pain since last Wednesday. Still doing the stretching and raises - but its a chore to do them......

Its amazing when you are in the middle of a training cycle, how much running consumes you - both in the planning of it, reading of it, preparing, running, showering, stretching etc.

When you take a break for a week and do other stuff, it really helps refocus the balance.
    looking forward to getting back to it, but striving to keep the balance.

Balance is 'the main thing' for me now.........(until the next training cycle starts)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Enjoy the US and take the time out of your training schedule to try some of those Man Vs Food challenges there. Hope the leg heals up quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

& at my age, there's not many good years left!
    outforarun wrote: »

I was gonna mention the record for backwards running while juggling three balls, but it looks like that record is out of reach too :(

Sunday 6th

No running since Wed 25th Sept, so thought the 11 day rest would do the calf good.
    I've not been as diligent with the exercises in the last few days so need to get back on them.

Planned a gentle 3 mile run today but stopped after 0.5m due to calf again.

Very frustrating, but what can you do!
    I think I'll be paying the Sports Injury Clinic a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

After 11 days rest thought your calf might have improved??? Sounds like it needs a bit of work plus rest. Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Have you used that Sports Injury place before? What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Used them in 2010, when i got a lump of glass extracted from my right foot. Very professional organisation, and great facilities. Just hope you have plenty of VHI cover...

RedRunner wrote: »
    After 11 days rest thought your calf might have improved??? Sounds like it needs a bit of work plus rest. Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Have you used that Sports Injury place before? What's it like?

Thanks RR - yep - thought so to. Starting to think its not muscle related.
    No pain or any apparent knots when I foam roll, but pain can come and go when I walk - could be nerve or some kind of 'band' issue?? Thats upto the docs to diagnose not Google :)

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Used them in 2010, when i got a lump of glass extracted from my right foot. Very professional organisation, and great facilities. Just hope you have plenty of VHI cover...

Thanks for that - luckily, I have the insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

How's life treating you RK? Any improvements? If you fancied something different when you are better - a casual mountain run in December to keep you ticking over - a few of us are thinking of entering a team for this http://www.runtheline.ie/ Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Or buy a bike ;) great for building up the calfs!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Or buy a bike ;) great for building up the calfs!!

17 Mile cycle yesterday - never mind the calf, ar$e is killing me today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Wait an hour or two, digger should be along soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TRR wrote: »
    Wait an hour or two, digger should be along soon :)

You called Pirate? ;):D

Advertisement