Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fantastic running RK, shows how much you have come on in over a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great rep times there RK, looks like the short work you have been doing is really paying off. A nice flat 5k race now and you will blitz your PB. Have my first speed session tonight. 6x800 ..unchartered territory for me so should be interesting!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Super session. I can see some big PBs coming your way in the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Boards must be a runners version of Facebook!

Anyone else hooked on reading as many logs as possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

No, its just you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

rasher_m wrote: »
    No, its just you

And me:)... I don't do facebook though.

Well done RK. Your focus is really paying dividends, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Yep! Inspirational stuff looking at some of the sessions and times people are posting. And it's much better than facebook;

"I had 10 pancakes yesterday lol!"
    10 mins later
    "It's not fair, I'm so fat..."

RedRunner wrote: »
    And me:)... I don't do facebook though.

Well done RK. Your focus is really paying dividends, fair play.

Ah RedRunner dont be such a spoil sport ;)

^^;)...I'm not as prolific as RK though! Obviously "works" from home a lot!:D

• Advertisement

...thats more like it :D

I'm a busy man, I just manage my time well!!

I might become one of these people who only update once per week 'cos they're cool n'all. :D

Thursday 14th

Valentines Day..............

At work all day til 6.
    Put the U13 GAA team through their paces - its a nice easy work out for me as well - nothing too strenuous.

1 hour of 5 Aside - ran around like a sweaty fool - played crap.

Pub with some buddies for a nice romantic chat about all things sport.

Who says romance is dead?

I did give her breakfast in bed with a card that I actually made myself - complete with personalised verse!

It started like this
    " There once was a woman from Kentucket.........."

Friday 15th

3 mile recovery- 8:23 pace.
    Legs felt tired from Wednesdays session and Thursday football.
    - was going to take a rest day, but felt that a short run would be more beneficial.

Now to go and buy the ickle one some spikes for her Donore debut on Sat & Sun.

Thursday 14th

Valentines Day..............

At work all day til 6.
    Put the U13 GAA team through their paces - its a nice easy work out for me as well - nothing too strenuous.

1 hour of 5 Aside - ran around like a sweaty fool - played crap.

Pub with some buddies for a nice romantic chat about all things sport.

Who says romance is dead?

I did give her breakfast in bed with a card that I actually made myself - complete with personalised verse!

It started like this
    " There once was a woman from Kentucket.........."

Jerry Kiernan may be able to give you some tips on putting GAA players through their paces too:D (Did you hear the interview on Newstalk Off the Ball alst night?)

I heard a good rhyme today, topical if a bit lacking in evidence but I thought it was quite funny...

Roses are Red
    Violets are Glorious
    Don't try and Surprise
    Oscar Pistorius

Your training regime BTW continues to amaze me , well done .You'll be doing sub 19 5ks in no time

Didn't hear the rant, but read about it!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056881368

Love the poem btw.......mad business.

Saturday 16th
    7.3m @ 8.19miles: Wasn't feeling the love on this run, felt tired, mojo was running low, dog was slow and kept stopping, even changed route to jizz things up - just wasn't happening. Sorry, 'Running' - its not you........its me.

This kinda scared me - 1st time in a long time (1 yr +) that I felt like this - I think its my body trying to tell me something.
    Maybe going from an average of 4 runs a week to 6 (+ football) is a bit much too soon?
    Maybe the 5k & 10k plans I've been doing are too demanding on my body?

Decided to drink loads of wine & beer and see what happened :-)

Sunday
    Rest day. No recovery run, no core work out, no football - just a rest day. Brought my girls to the movies - loved it. Need to do more of this.
    Legs felt great on Sunday night.
    I've often seen peoples logs where they speak about how 1 rest day can totally rejuvenate them and I've never believed it - thats 'cos I was taking 3-4 rest days per week at the time, so didn't really feel understand. I think.

But on Sunday evening, I was feeling super. 1 rest day felt great! Or ,maybe it was the drink from Saturday??

Monday

I thought about taking an easy run on Monday and just taking a handy week, but after about 2 seconds, I abandoned that idea and stuck to my plan - which was a session.
    At this stage I'm thinking of changing my name to SessionKing..............

Plan was to do a 3x 800/1200 compound run.
    This involved doing the 800m @ 5k pace - NO recovery - and doing the 1200@ 10k pace
    Then a 3 min recovery and repeat.

How it panned out was a bit different - I underestimated the workout, but happy that I had the flexibility to alter it on the go.

2mile warm up (jog down to the Phoenix Park)
    Rep 1: 800m in 3:02 (6:05 pace) - No Rec - 1200 in 4:44 (6:19 pace)

Rep 2: 800m in 3:02 - (6:05 pace) - Then I died...............briefly.
    I stopped and paused the watch and had one of those transendental moments where you think 1 hour has passed, but its really about 43 seconds. I had a long argument with myself. The 'bad' me was saying that I shouldn'r run 10k's - I'm not able for it - stick to marathons. Its easier..........
    Then the 'good' me would tell the 'bad' me not to be so stupid. Its a run, a training run - it cant beat me. I've a goal for the 10k and I'll hit it.
    The bad me just laughed.

So 43 seconds later I unpaused the watch and unleashed a 1200m in 4:32 (6:03 pace) - that'll show him.............

Rep 3: 800m in 3:10 (6:22 pace) - 40 sec recovery - 1200 in 4:47 (6:23 pace) - delighted with this rep - the short break really helped and the pacing felt more controlled.

Jogged home.

When I got home I was surprised to find that I'd ran 9.3 miles - thats the highest single run milage that I've done since mid December.

Meanwhile - earlier in the day.......... on the way home from work, I dropped into the new Nike outlet in Blanchardstown with the expectation of getting a cheap pair of shorts.

I came away with a pair of Lunar Eclipse 2 that set me back €42 Euro. I dont think I've ever paid so little for a pair of runners since God was a boy. Looking forward to breaking them in. My girls are embarrassed for me as they are luminous orange!

So - this week, I fell out of love with Running, had an argument with it - bought it a present and had fun making up!

Sunday
    Brought my girls to the movies - loved it. Need to do more of this

Love this bit, great HTFU on that session, well done. Any plans on a race to blitz that 5k PB?

Now - lets try to manage expectation, Tang!!

By blitzing, do you mean that I'll achieve my 2013 goal of doing a sub 19 min 5k? (a 17 second PB is a blitzing in my books).

I'm thinking of the MSB 5k in Dublin City Center on March 16th? - But dont know what the route is like.
    Need to do some reseach on upcoming 5k's. The route in the Marley Park Run looks ok as well.

Main goal now is a sub 40 10k.

I was planning on the K Club 10k in April for that one, but I'll be travelling the week before and getting in late on the Friday night. So not sure about it. The GIR is the previous week, but its a horrible course for a PB.

Haven't ran MSB's race, Le Cheile 5k and Bob Heffernan 5k in May are both fast races, and just outside the city so close enough for commute. I think your being soft on yourself with sub19. Sub 18.30 is well within your capsbilities.

Don't be talking about soft targets, that'll just set J off.

• Advertisement

Just checking Bob Heffernan results from last year, first 110 19mins or under, easy for you. The young Cork man might even consider it!!

Cheers tang, appreciate that, seriously.

Don't be talking about soft targets, that'll just set J off.

haha, some fecker you are!!:D I smell a 5k showdown coming on....
    tang1 wrote: »
    Just checking Bob Heffernan results from last year, first 110 19mins or under, easy for you. The young Cork man might even consider it!!

Looking for fast, flat 5k and 10k races in May and June, need to start eclipsing some of my 2013 targets so I can set new ones!

This looks good. Middle of the week, about 90mins from me but it could work!!! Now any nice 10k races around May/June??

blockic wrote: »

Looking for fast, flat 5k and 10k races in May and June, need to start eclipsing some of my 2013 targets so I can set new ones!

This looks good. Middle of the week, about 90mins from me but it could work!!! Now any nice 10k races around May/June??

22nd of June 7.30pm on Saturday evening, Mick Manning 10km in Dunshaughlin. As fast a 10k you'll get anywhere. Strawberries & cream given out at the finish!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    22nd of June 7.30pm on Saturday evening, Mick Manning 10km in Dunshaughlin. As fast a 10k you'll get anywhere. Strawberries & cream given out at the finish!!!

Anything that has strawberries and cream is good with me!:D

Edit: any 2013 date yet for that Bob Heffernan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I'll take a piece of that action ;)

Anything that has strawberries and cream is good with me!:D

Edit: any 2013 date yet for that Bob Heffernan?

Tuesday 21st of May J. Usually an 8pm start.

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'll take a piece of that action ;)

Ah Jaysus, give the old fella a chance!

Blockic is so young his voice hasn't broken yet.( and he's $hit hot)
    Gavlor, your log could be my log in about 2 years, your times are so good.

Any race has to have a handicap system, based on age and previous times.

There, we're all agreed now. As you were.

Ah Jaysus, give the old fella a chance!

Blockic is so young his voice hasn't broken yet.( and he's $hit hot)
    Gavlor, your log could be my log in about 2 years, your times are so good.

Any race has to have a handicap system, based on age and previous times.

There, we're all agreed now. As you were.

Here less of it, your older & quicker than me so your not doing to bad!!

• Advertisement

Great post earlier A. Enjoyed reading that.

The follow posts conjured up visions of you guys tearing around the cloisters of Oxford/Cambridge, with Chariots of Fire playing in the background:)

Advertisement