Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Ok - 2nd time trying to update this - apologies if my details appear twice!!

Tues 19th
    6.82 miles @ 7:55 pace. Nice easy run from Donore through Phoenix Park and back again. Pushed the pace slightly up Chesterfield (about 7:30-7:20 pace) for 3 miles - then slowed it down again.

Wed 20th
    Work, Studies and Family conspired against me - so didn't get to do the planned 35m tempo run.

Thur 21st
    Decided to do the tempo run this morning - otherwise it wouldn't get done. Dur to football later, I changed it slightly to a 4m tempo.
    The route I picked for this included Military Hill, Upper Glen Road and the Furry Glen.

Done a 1:28mile warm up (7:38 pace) - warmup was too fast but it was baltic out!

Tempo pace: 4.2 miles @ 6:30 pace. Done this too fast - had planned to do 6:40-6:50ish pace especially on the hills - but glad I persevered at the quicker pace. Gives me confidence over those hills for GIR.

Warm Down: 1:12 miles @ 8:18 pace

Overall 6.6 miles@ 7:02

Plan for PM: Take the U13 GAA training session (recovery for me) - then 1 hour of 5 Aside - where no doubt despite my best efforts I'll get cramp!.

On Friday morning I'm off to the UK for an MBA residential course - will be bringing the gear with me just in case I get some early morning time on the treadmills. The days run til 9:30 every night, so not expecting too much running.

Am glad that I've started the tempo run phase of the training plan, I need to develop the endurance and stamina to hold the speedwork for 10k onwards. The long runs (all with quick 10k paced finishes) - start in 2 weeks

The intervals/sessions dont stop, so I need to be careful in what I take on and watch for signs of injury & overtraining.

Fri 22nd - Sun 24th Feb:
    In UK for a college residential for the weekend. Long days where class finished at 9:45pm and the poor location of the Gym meant no running since Thursday.

Monday 25th Feb:
    Had a day off work, so took advantage of the weather and time.
    Had planned a session, but due to no running for a few days I changed that plan to a fartlek session over the 7.2m course that I run in the park.
    Good speed up the Furry Glen, nice 6:35 mile on the 15 Acres and good 10k pace up the Khyber. Kept the pace strong up Chesterfield and finsihed with a strong 5:40 last 0.4m.
    Very happy with the run,despite the dog being a bit slow today!!
    legs felt great.

Overall 7:2miles @ 7:09 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

That little break from running was probably needed. you'd been working seriously hard lately with your sessions. Hope the MBA gig went well for you.Not easy to balance that stuff with other aspects of your life.

Tuesday 26th Feb
    Run 1
    2.5 miles @ 8:12 pace
    Just managed to get the dog out for a little run before it got dark. Was hoping to get 4 miles done, but got too dark and too dangerous to have her out. had a 30 min wait before heading out again.

Run 2
    6.8 miles @ 7:36 pace - left the little one to Donore and set off around the Park with the headlamp. Found myself running the 1st mile from Donore Harriers down to Park Gate Street with a crowd from Donore.
    Felt like an intruder so crossed the road :) - it did get me thinking about joining a club, but my running times are a bit sporadic - a good few of them occur during work hours - and I dont think I could disicpline myself to set times.

The run felt good and strong - I wanted to run just above 'Easy' level but well below 'tempo' - maybe 'steady' or 'brisk' is a better term. - There must be an ISO standard for these terms??

Wed 27th
    5.04 miles @ 8:13 pace - Lunchtime recovery run down the phoenix park. Beautiful day out there!
    Dont think the dog understands the rules of the road yet along Military Road and the S Bends - she went on the road a bit - must get her to sit the theory test :0 (think she'd find it a bit woof....)

Theres a charity fun run in work on Thursday - so technically I'll be getting paid for running. For that 20 mins I'll be a professional runner :-)

Thursday 28th.

You know the old story, you wait forever for a sub 6 min mile and then 2 come along at once!

We had a 'fun run' today in work. Last year this was my 1st ever 5k race.

Although not a chipped race, it was a well marked out course, with a clock finish and people with stop watches etc. the clock was out by 18 secs but that's another story.
    Met with davemcmahon before hand, small world that we work in the same place!

I started out on the front row, and set off. Within about half a mile, there were 2 guys out front and a pack of 4 including me. After a mile, one guy set out on his own and let us 3 to run. I felt strong and took the lead within our 3 some.
    Mile 1 was a 5:59 mile.

Mile 2 came and went, still feeling strong and still leading the 3 some, mile 2 was 6:06.
    As I approached mile 3 I was on my own, the guy in front was about 20 secs ahead, the guy behind was about 20 secs behind and fading.
    I pushed on, feeling great, couldn't believe how good I felt.
    Mile 3 was 5:52!!

Finished off strong, for a time on the Garmin of 18:18 and 4th place! (54 sec unofficial PB)
    Delighted!

Don't quite know where that came from, didn't expect it and gives me lots of confidence for future races.
    Not too sure on the protocol for calling it a PB as it wasn't a chip timed race, but I'll look to repeat it in the near future for an 'official' PB.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, 1 hr GAA training with the u13's, 1 hour of 5aside and right now..........

I'm boll!xed!

Thursday 28th.

You know the old story, you wait forever for a sub 6 min mile and then 2 come along at once!

We had a 'fun run' today in work. Last year this was my 1st ever 5k race.

Although not a chipped race, it was a well marked out course, with a clock finish and people with stop watches etc. the clock was out by 18 secs but that's another story.
    Met with davemcmahon before hand, small world that we work in the same place!

I started out on the front row, and set off. Within about half a mile, there were 2 guys out front and a pack of 4 including me. After a mile, one guy set out on his own and let us 3 to run. I felt strong and took the lead within our 3 some.
    Mile 1 was a 5:59 mile.

Mile 2 came and went, still feeling strong and still leading the 3 some, mile 2 was 6:06.
    As I approached mile 3 I was on my own, the guy in front was about 20 secs ahead, the guy behind was about 20 secs behind and fading.
    I pushed on, feeling great, couldn't believe how good I felt.
    Mile 3 was 5:52!!

Finished off strong, for a time on the Garmin of 18:18 and 4th place! (54 sec unofficial PB)
    Delighted!

Don't quite know where that came from, didn't expect it and gives me lots of confidence for future races.
    Not too sure on the protocol for calling it a PB as it wasn't a chip timed race, but I'll look to repeat it in the near future for an 'official' PB.

Great running there.Sub 19!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Delighted!

Great run RK, it has been coming. Your training has been solid. Now i have a target to hunt down!! :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

54 secs? I know of a cyclist who had that sort of impressive improvement. Jeez it's supposed to be a fun run....

I'm very jealous of your times and lack the skill to hide it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1 wrote: »
    Haven't ran MSB's race, Le Cheile 5k and Bob Heffernan 5k in May are both fast races, and just outside the city so close enough for commute. I think your being soft on yourself with sub19. Sub 18.30 is well within your capsbilities.

Love when i'm right, great running RK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great stuff! A race is a race so it certainly counts!!

Can't wait for your sub 3 marathon report over the next 12 months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Thursday 28th.
    Finished off strong, for a time on the Garmin of 18:18

:eek:

Thursday 28th.
    and 4th place! (54 sec unofficial PB)

:eek:

That's great going! Suddenly a whole bunch of your 2013 goals look a tad unambitious.:D Next stop, podium!

Cheers Druss, the only person I want to beat is myself, so podiums don't interest me.......ahem.........does that make me sound magnaminous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

18:18 :eek: This is getting serious!

Even scared myself!

Feb finished off with a good month running wise. Ran 24 times in 28 days and add 3 games of 5 aside in there as well.
    Milage not too high compared to others, but as I'm doing a 10k plan - thats ok. Longest run in Feb was 9.x miles.

Also had travel to the US for work and a weekend in UK for college - so not too bad milage wise and run wise.
    Also feel that my running was of a good quality and very specific.
    Table updated below.

Month|2011|2012|2013

January|18|17|133.1

February|15|80.3|121.2

March|20|88.3|0

April|40|66.1|0

May|44|105.2|0

June|50.1|122.6|0

July|56.1|60|0

August|122|129.6|0

September|125.1|184.8|0

October|126.2|126.2|0

November|23|54.3|0

December|38.5|87.4|0

Total|677.8|1122.2|133.1

For March I plan to just do 1 race - the MSB 5k in city center - but may also do a park run - possibly Marley.

Friday March 1st:
    Nice 5m recovery run around Phoenix park. Pace 8:23.

Saturday March 2nd:
    6.5 miles (@ 7:38 pace) around the Ph park again. really enjoyed this run. Mixed up the pace a bit - a good 5k pace up the Khyber and a final 0.4m at 5:40 pace kept the pace strong.
    The fast finishes are to help my finishing speed, gives me a kick too!

Sunday - rest day: Watched the titanic plates of power in London switch from Le Arse to Spurs - (thats for you J)

Got an even better kick from reading all the race reports, hugely inspiring to me. Will be looking to include the HM in next years calander!.

For March I plan to just do 1 race - the MSB 5k in city center - but may also do a park run - possibly Marley.

When is this race? I might have to venture up to shift the titanic plates of power in the 5km down south! :D

Monday 4th March

Overall 10:29m @ 7:40 pace (inc 5x1m with 3min R)

Wanted to combine a good session, some hills and a run above 10 miles.

The plan called for 5X1m (3min rec) so I decided to do a 2m warm up running down to Phoenix Park, then do the GIR route for this session.

Mile 1: 6:22 - felt good and strong from Chesterfield to the North road and around to near the monument.
    Mile 2: 6:03 - included down the Khyber, so a good pace
    Mile 3: 6:00 - The dreaded Military hill - nailed it too fast though - kept the pace over the S bends.
    Mile 4: 6:10 - the upper Glen road and down the furry glen & UP the other side -Definitely too fast. Dying.
    Mile 5: 6:18 - Was feeling it in the legs, but I know endurance is an issue right now - meant to run down Furze, but kept on the side of the Ordanance Survey.

Ran 2m home as a cool down - but again - the last half mile or so, I held 6:20 pace again.

Delighted with the run - definitely need to work on endurance - 12x400 on Wednesday, a 10m on Sunday (last 1m at 10k pace) and then a 2x2mile next monday should help.

I think I need a good strategy for the 2 10k races in April. I'm thinking that the GIR may be a tune up for the K-Club - but will be going out to get the sub 40.

Interestingly - last week I had my highest milage since Dub marathon training (only 36 miles) but didn't feel the same level of fatique that I was feeling earlier in Jan & Feb.

Nice one. Sub 40 not a bother to you in April.

blockic wrote: »
    Nice one. Sub 40 not a bother to you in April.

I know, but when little gits run 38mins for 10k in the middle of a HM - then it gets a bit more serious.........:D

• Advertisement

I know, but when little gits run 38mins for 10k in the middle of a HM - then it gets a bit more serious.........:D

Haha, sure run sub 38 in the K club afterwards then!! I have 18:18 written in permanent marker on the wall btw. You're going down!! :D

On a serious note, met belcarra's buddy yesterday. Finished 40 seconds ahead of me. Did he run 16:XX in your 5k thing last week? Bloody hell that was some run for a fun run!! Same with yourself!!

blockic wrote: »
    Haha, sure run sub 38 in the K club afterwards then!! I have 18:18 written in permanent marker on the wall btw. You're going down!! :D

On a serious note, met belcarra's buddy yesterday. Finished 40 seconds ahead of me. Did he run 16:XX in your 5k thing last week? Bloody hell that was some run for a fun run!! Same with yourself!!

yep - and like you, only got serious about running recently. Lovely fella.
    Very determined runner.

yep - and like you, only got serious about running recently. Lovely fella.
    Very determined runner.

Hopefully we'll pace each other around Rotterdam!

Tuesday 5th March

5.11 recovery run @ 8:11 pace.
    Went out a bit late on Tuesday so couldn't bring the dog, also wanted to be home for the game on the telebox. Normally run around a park somewhere, but just ran around Carpenterstown & Blanch. Very uninspiring. Very smoggy. Legs felt a bit heavy during & afterwards - unlike Nani's leg, which must have felt quite light to reach the full backs chest area!!

20 mins stretching & core work.

Wed 6th March

12x400 session with 200 rec. (in the pi$$ings of rain)

Wanted 2 things from this session.
    (1) To run all the reps in a controlled (but hard) way.
    (2) To have the pace controlled that my last rep was my fastest.

To do the above I wanted my breathing and running form to be good - so focused a lot on that during the reps.
    Delighted with the session - This is my 3rd 12x400 this year and each one shows a good progression from the other.

For the last session on 13th Feb, I had 11/12 reps under 6min pace. For this session I had 9/12 under 5:30 pace (slowest rep was at 5:40 pace - 85 secs (3rd rep)).

23 Jan: Ave time per rep: 92 secs
    13 Feb: Ave time per rep: 84 secs
    6 Mar: Ave time per rep: 80 secs

The last rep I completed nearly all out in 74 secs (4.56 pace) - all the other reps were controlled.
    I walked 100m of all the recoveries and jogged 100m.
    I also had about 3 'hands on knees looking at the ground with spit all over my face' moments :)

So very happy with the session - doing 400m intervals a couple of days after doing a 5x1m certainly makes the 400's feel easier.

really enjoying training at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done thats a great improvement over a short space of time :)

Serious run there RK. Well impressed with the last rep. You'll kill the 5km next week!

Great running once again...not long before sub18

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Yowser that's quick...almost as quick as your quick witted nani gag.

Good running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Tuesday 5th March

5.11 recovery run @ 8:11 pace.
    Went out a bit late on Tuesday so couldn't bring the dog, also wanted to be home for the game on the telebox. Normally run around a park somewhere, but just ran around Carpenterstown & Blanch. Very uninspiring. Very smoggy. Legs felt a bit heavy during & afterwards - unlike Nani's leg, which must have felt quite light to reach the full backs chest area!!

20 mins stretching & core work.

Wed 6th March

12x400 session with 200 rec. (in the pi$$ings of rain)

Wanted 2 things from this session.
    (1) To run all the reps in a controlled (but hard) way.
    (2) To have the pace controlled that my last rep was my fastest.

To do the above I wanted my breathing and running form to be good - so focused a lot on that during the reps.
    Delighted with the session - This is my 3rd 12x400 this year and each one shows a good progression from the other.

For the last session on 13th Feb, I had 11/12 reps under 6min pace. For this session I had 9/12 under 5:30 pace (slowest rep was at 5:40 pace - 85 secs (3rd rep)).

23 Jan: Ave time per rep: 92 secs
    13 Feb: Ave time per rep: 84 secs
    6 Mar: Ave time per rep: 80 secs

The last rep I completed nearly all out in 74 secs (4.56 pace) - all the other reps were controlled.
    I walked 100m of all the recoveries and jogged 100m.
    I also had about 3 'hands on knees looking at the ground with spit all over my face' moments :)

So very happy with the session - doing 400m intervals a couple of days after doing a 5x1m certainly makes the 400's feel easier.

really enjoying training at the moment.

RK, thats a great post with some solid training going on...but the most important part of that post is the last line(IMHO):D

• Advertisement

a Medium Long one this :) - not spoke to anyone in about an hour.............

Thursday 7th

3m recovery run to get the dog out. Nice little 6 laps around a small park right outside my house. nice but boring as be dammed.

Listened to a great podcast "Stuff you should know" - they have loads of different topics each week, some interesting, some not. Worth a listen if your Marathon Talk podcast hasn't downloaded yet.

Thursday PM - Brought the u13 girls training in the rain - soaked, but a good session
    Thursday PPM- 5-Aside footie - good game. Scored loads :) Best part was the drink afterwards............

Friday 8th
    5m recovery in Phoenix park with my running buddy - nothing spectacular except that she was able to keep up with me!! , 5m at 8:33 pace - needed a nice slow recovery run.

Sat 9th
    11m run - longest run I've had since God was a boy. Didn't bring the dog today - she was going out later with OH.
    Wanted to work on endurance as I've not had many 10+ miles in the past few months - so went the 1st 5 fairly easy (7.58 pace) in 39:50 mins. Picked it up in the 2nd 5 with an ave 7:20 pace (36:37 mins) including 1m at 10k pace at the end. Well thats what the plan said - in fairness it was a half mile at 6:40 pace and another half mile at about 7:00 pace - although it was up the upper glen road.

For this run, I done 2 loops that made sure I got two shots at Military road hill, uppr glen road and the Furry glen.

Last years GIR really hit me hard - I hadn't planned on going down the Furry Glen (knowing the hill on the other side and the other hill toward the finish) so last year I stopped on the downhill. Dont know why - just got me - so I have this mental thing regarding that part of the GIR course. As a result I'm doing a lot of runs recently around that part. And its not even my 'A' race - the K-Club is!!

anyway - the pace going up the Furry Glen and then up to the proposed GIR finish line done me good.

Delighted with the run today - makes me wish I was doing a spring marathon, even though it was only 11 miles, it reminded me of my Marathon training for DCM '12 - I loved it!
    The short stuff will help me, no doubt, as my speed has improved - but still, I'm looking fwd to the next few weeks training at my 10k plan then onto the half M plan come mid April.

My Mizuno's have passed the 500 mile mark - I wear them occasionaly, but not all the time, but now have noticed a tighness in my back muscles - doesn't hurt me or impinge in any way - but its there. Dont know if its from the old mizunos or the mixture of the 8mm New Balance with the higher cushioned heel of the Nike LunarEclipse?????

In other news......................... My KClub 10k prep is now in turmoil. I need to catch a flight right after GIR and go to Europe until the following Friday - getting back home Friday night. KClub race is sat morning. Need to plan for that now!!

Plan for next week:

Monday 40m tempo (6:40 pace).
    Tuesday: 7m Easy (7:40-8:00)
    Wed: Sports Massage with Castleknocks finest.
    Thurs: 5m easy with strides (maybe some 200's??)
    Fri: 4m easy with strides.
    Sat: MSB 5km race in Dub City Center
    Sun 17th: Recovery with the Arthurs help.
    Mon 18th: Recovery from the recovery.

........................and relax.

Advertisement