Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

In other news......................... My KClub 10k prep is now in turmoil. I need to catch a flight right after GIR and go to Europe until the following Friday - getting back home Friday night. KClub race is sat morning. Need to plan for that now!!

Dose...Any safeish place to run while away? Heading that direction myself week after next at short notice, no gym for about 50 miles id say where I'm going..out in the sticks! Gonna miss a run or two as a result! My strict P&D schedule is falling to tatters at the most important phase!

Nice recovery day with Arthur too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

My KClub 10k prep is now in turmoil. I need to catch a flight right after GIR and go to Europe until the following Friday - getting back home Friday night. KClub race is sat morning. Need to plan for that now!!
    All the hard sessions will be done by then. The GIR is the week before the KClub isn't it so the rest will probably do you good. I wouldn't worry about it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great stuff RK..... But I think all that running must be damaging your brain cells. Last time I checked, we were already in Europe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Sun 10th:
    Rest Day

Mon 11th:
    Work & Life got in the way of running.
    During the day I changed my plan not to do a tempo in that wind, but had every intention of getting out for at least 5m.
    Not to be - I could have went out at 10pm, truth be told, but I'd be doing it just to say I done it.
    So spent 40 mins doing a leg strength & Core work out. Amazing what a few squats can do.

Tuesday 12th.
    Run 1: 3m (@8:10 pace) just to get the dog out. Knew I was going out again later so didn't shower/change. Smelly git really.

Run 2: tempo run. Planned to do 40 mins at 6:40. Made a few school boy errors during this one.

School boy error #1: Planned my route based on my usual Tuesday run taking 53 mins. So I thought that works out as 6m warm up - 40 tempo - 7 min warm down. What a silly boy.
    Obviously running the tempo I'd be running faster & finishing earlier. (run actually took 46 mins)

Schoolboy error #2: was looking at 'average pace' rather than 'lap pace' for 3 miles - wondered why I was tired by 3-4m - I was averaging 6:40's including the warm up - going up Chesterfield.
    Stopped for 1min to get my breathing right.

Anyway - the session served it purpose. I got a good 35mins of a tempo as opposed to the planned 40.
    In the session - I had a 19:40 5k -a 33min 5m - and a 42:30 10k (which must have included some warm up minutes - 1st m was 7:30) (nearly my 10k time from April 12 months ago) - was happy with that as the majority was slightly uphill.

Last 0.7m I took it easy to get a decent warm down.

total run 6.7m @6:58

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

In the session - I had a 19:40 5k -a 33min 5m - and a 42:30 10k (which must have included some warm up minutes - 1st m was 7:30) (nearly my 10k time from April last year months ago) - was happy with that as the majority was slightly uphill.

Last 0.7m I took it easy to get a decent warm down.

total run 6.7m @6:58

Great running there RK!

• Advertisement

Wed 13th
    Went for a sports massage - 1st time getting one when not injured, so just going in for general maintenance.

Well - left side of back was incredibly tight, so her elbows got to know my lower back and hip flexors/glutes really well.
    Then my hamstrings became acquainted with her thumbs & elbows and I realised that all was not well there either.
    Apparently too many one legged Bridges are not all there cracked up to be.

Higher-upper back is not as strong as lower back - so got some excercises for that too.
    then got my legs flushed out and some trigger points turned on & off.
    And I paid for that torture??

Was exhausted later on as a result, so decided not to go for a run. Nice warm bath done me good - was close to lighting candles and putting on soft music................

Thursday 14th.
    5.8m at 7:30 pace.
    Probably too fast although 1 quick mile is throwing it out a bit.
    A lot of stretching after it done me the world of good feeling ok.

Only downside was during the run, my lungs felt 'restricted' - not too sure what was going on - just felt like they were over worked even though the pace was 'steady' and not lung busting.

pretty low milage week so far - wont be doing much over the weekend - 5k race and getting reacquainted with my old pal Arthur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Some great running there - good luck with race - what time are you hoping for?

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Some great running there - good luck with race - what time are you hoping for?

thanks Tom.
    Main goal is under 19mins. Thats my start of year goal. Do this and I cross it off my list.

I've done 18:18 on a shorter unofficial 5k with a non hilly course recently.

Secondary goal is 18:30 - weather dependent. The course seems to have a lot of sharp turns on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

thanks Tom.
    Main goal is under 19mins. Thats my start of year goal. Do this and I cross it off my list.

I've done 18:18 on a shorter unofficial 5k with a non hilly course recently.

Secondary goal is 18:30 - weather dependent. The course seems to have a lot of sharp turns on it.

That should be no trouble to you based on your training...

I'm interested in what you mean by cross it off your list - do you mean that's it for 5ks you've achieved your goal, move on to next distance and goal?

Tom Joad wrote: »
    That should be no trouble to you based on your training...

I'm interested in what you mean by cross it off your list - do you mean that's it for 5ks you've achieved your goal, move on to next distance and goal?

One of my 'start of year' goals will have been hit!

I'll do some other 5k's during the year and may get further PB's- but my focus changes to 10ks til April/May and Half Marathon's until July with Marathon specific training up to DCM.

• Advertisement

Jaysus it's quiet on Boards tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah I know. I even bought popcorn and beer expecting some entertainment :mad:

Tell robinph & Ecoli to hurry up will you?

menoscemo wrote: »

Yeah I know. I even bought popcorn and beer expecting some entertainment :mad:

Ha, Some Divils!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

The suspense is killing me. I'd planned my evening around this.

Best of luck with the 5k at the weekend RK! Looking forward to hearing that you've set an even harder target for a certain Corkonian:D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Best of luck with the 5k at the weekend RK! Looking forward to hearing that you've set an even harder target for a certain Corkonian:D

Ah he should go easy this weekend. Focus on the longer goals! :P

A serious note.Never mind this sub 19 business. You're well able for low 18s or even break the 18 barrier...go get it.

Yeah, it's not like Spurs were providing any entertainment tonight!:D

New in the Oxford English dictionary;

To 'Tottenham' something; to mess things up, to make simple things harder than they should be.

Here's hoping I don't do a Tottenham on Sat!

RedRunner wrote: »

In fairness, the only thing stopping His nibs from doing a sub 18, is just finding a race that fits his schedule.

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Ah he should go easy this weekend. Focus on the longer goals! :P

A serious note.Never mind this sub 19 business. You're well able for low 18s or even break the 18 barrier...go get it.

Ah stop, I'll be doing well to even finish.
    Might even buck the trend and pace my Ickle one around in 25 mins.

It's amazing how hypochondria & mild paronia always sets in the night before a race!

Fatigue is the worst it's ever been, my flat feet are getting flatter, that massage done me no good, shouldn't have ran those 3 miles today, thighs are like lead, shoulders are tight, planter faciitis is killing me........etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's amazing how hypochondria & mild paronia always sets in the night before a race!

Fatigue is the worst it's ever been, my flat feet are getting flatter, that massage done me no good, shouldn't have ran those 3 miles today, thighs are like lead, shoulders are tight, planter faciitis is killing me........etc etc

Christ, I have the same condition. It must be catching :D

Best of luck tomorrow guys.Hope you both have good races.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

It's definitely a sign that ye're on for a cracker tomorrow:cool:
    On the other hand, I'm feeling fairly fresh. I'm getting worried now:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck today RK, you'll run a cracking time.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck today RK, you'll run a cracking time.

+1 looking forward to seeing my target! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Well done on the time today

Well done on the time today

Do tell us Dave?? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

He has 2 secs on you J. Fantastic run RK, very well done.

Advertisement