Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Decided to do a 5k time trial today, but was feeling a bit off.
    Still, a cup of HTFU went down well.

Finished my training time trial in 18:10.

Ran into a headwind, uphill all the way, on a dodgy stomach.
    Did I mention I forgot 1 runner, only ran with 1 running shoe.
    Stopped for a pee midway.

Nice run.

:D:D:D I lol'd to be fair!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You running in Meath Sunday, thought i read somewhere a while back you were considering it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What's on Sunday.......no plans but could be persuaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

What's on Sunday.......no plans but could be persuaded.

5mile out in Meath, Kildalkey to be precise at 12pm. Not a big spin from Castleknock if you fancied it.

Would do, but am away from Monday for a few days with the family, promised them no running, so going to do either a 50min tempo or a 12m run to get a good session in. But I'll look into it!

• Advertisement

Just hope everyone else knows my post above was a joke based on Blockics latest 'downhill' training run 'with the wind'.

Thursday 28th:

Recovery run from Wednesdays session - 3.28m at 8:08 pace (seemed slower - was surprised to see the pace)

PM: GAA Training with my U13's.

PM: 1 hour of 5-Aside - missed the last 2 weeks so was really looking fwd to a game. Ran around like a lunatic again - more so that usual, cramped up twice...surprise surprise. Great game.

Friday 29th:
    Work up to very sore feet. The footie really affects both my heels - kind of PF like. Took a long time to get them right - was sitting at the desk working with my feet in an ice wrap. Think I need a new pair of indoor footie runners - the ones I wear are fairly new, but obviously have no cushioning. Must check the Nike outlet in Blanch - if they have anything with that Lunarlon stuff - its like walking on air.

Went for a recovery run - wasn't going to, but the legs were very tired and sore so felt that a slow run would be great for them.
    Brought the dog and went on a trail run in the Phoenix park - ran on trails that I've not run on before and seen parts of the park that I didn't know existed - and all about 50 yds from the road I normally run on.
    Possibly my most enjoyable run (in every sense of the word) & slowest run in a long long time.

5.58 miles @ 8:46 pace

Saturday 30th

The OH was meant to take the dog for a walk, allowing me a dog free run to do either a 12 miler or a 50 min tempo (or a mixture of both).
    However - she didn't so I had to bring the dog with me on my run today - so both those options were out the window. Still got a good run in.
    Decided to do a Fartlek run - really enjoyed this one. Felt very strong. Had I of been racing today I'd of PB'd at any distance. And beaten Johnny.

Set off at a faster pace than normal - getting myself adjusted to my HM training plan that starts in late April (!!!!).

1st 4 miles:
    7:26
    6:59
    7:01
    6:45

Found myself down the bottom of the Khyber - so decided to do some hill repeats. Chose the hill to the left as your looking at the fort.
    Done 10 repeats at full speed. By the end, if I had of had anything in my stomach, I wouldn't have had anything in my stomach.
    Even though they were only 15 seconds in duration - they took everything out of me.

Running up the Khyber after the set I could feel every muscle in my legs and Glutes calling out. - ** Must do more of that **

Next mile was a recovery mile: 7:50 (half mile up the Khyber)

Pushed the pace on the next mile - 6:32.
    Was coming to the end of the session, so pushed hard on the last 0.5m then slowed it right down for the last 0.5 to get a recovery.

Once I cross the Ordnance Survey road - I know my car is parked 0.3m away and its on a path so the dog is safe - so I set off for a fast finish. 0.3m at 5:10 pace.
    Done a bit of stretching and then home.......content!

8.01 miles @ 7:18 (7:02 'moving pace' if you discount the stops to wait for the dog crossing roads :-) )

And then I load the data into the PC and find that my monthly milage is 147 miles.
    147 - whatever sort of a number is that - unless you like snooker. 3 more miles, surely!!

Parents in law coming over tomorrow. Chef King is cooking. Wifey wants to go to Mass - gotta visit my own mother. Jaysus. (sorry God)
    If I was an OCD wreck like RedRunner I'd be up early to do the 3 miles.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. (Not doing the 5 miler, Tang)

Off to Castlebar on Monday for drink and food and quality time with the Fambily :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Is this a running diary or a diary diary??

It's like a transcript of a reality tv show

'living with royalty'

I try to entertain.........

PM: 1 hour of 5-Aside - missed the last 2 weeks so was really looking fwd to a game. Ran around like a lunatic again - more so that usual, cramped up twice...surprise surprise. Great game.

Shouldn't you be retiring from this sort of stuff now at your age? :pac:

1st 4 miles:
    7:26
    6:59
    7:01
    6:45

Done 10 repeats at full speed.

Next mile was a recovery mile: 7:50 (half mile up the Khyber)

Pushed the pace on the next mile - 6:32.

0.3m at 5:10 pace.

The poor dog!! :eek:

On a serious note, Enjoy the break away! I expect you fresh and ready for battle upon your return. :cool:

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Is this a running diary or a diary diary??

It's like a transcript of a reality tv show

'living with royalty'

Did make me laugh though........

Month|2011|2012|2013

January|18|17|133.1
    February|15|80.3|121.2
    March|20|88.3|147
    April|40|66.1|0
    May|44|105.2|0
    June|50.1|122.6|0
    July|56.1|60|0
    August|122|129.6|0
    September|125.1|184.8|0
    October|126.2|126.2|0
    November|23|54.3|0
    December|38.5|87.4|0
    Total|677.8|1122.2|401.3

Finished March with my 2nd highest monthly total ever. This fact surprised me as I feel I've taken a few breaks during the month.
    Delighted with my 5k time of 18:39 on March 16th and very happy with my focus on speed endurance for the 10k plan. My 2x2m+2x1m was a major training run for me during March.

For April I will have a few distractions due to family, work & college commitments, but my focus will be to;
    • Do 1 run of greater than 14 miles.
    • Develop more speed endurance with 3x2m training run
    • Run 1 Park Run as a tune up for 10k run.
    • achieve sub 40 in KClub on April 20th.
    • Do 1 week of easy running following 10k race - no sessions
    • Start HM training plan last week in April
    • Am away a bit, so will be delighted to do 130 miles of running in April

My HM training plan will use this as its structure;
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-sub-125-half-marathon-schedules/98.html
    but has some other elements thrown in as well and other changes due to races etc and some specific focus that I want.

Happy Easter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-sub-125-half-marathon-schedules/98.html
    but has some other elements thrown in as well and other changes due to races etc and some specific focus that I want.

Happy Easter![/quote]

What hm are you thinking of? The Viking half in Waterford is on the last weekend of June and looks like being a fast course.... I might look at it depending on hitting my limerick target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ohhhh HM training, good luck. that's a beefy looking plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Happy Easter!

Nice plan but I'd definitely consider more than 1 over distance run. I'd make 14-16 your standard LSR distance.

Just checked my actual plan and I only have 1 over distance run - so yep - you are right.
    Will amend as advised!

Gavlor wrote: »

Happy Easter!

What hm are you thinking of? The Viking half in Waterford is on the last weekend of June and looks like being a fast course.... I might look at it depending on hitting my limerick target[/QUOTE]

Clontarf on July 13th:
    Primarily because I go on holidays the following Tuesday, so its a natural break to get a 2 week running free rest in Greece!
    Be interested in the Viking half - especially if its flat - must look it up, clontarf is a bit iffy as its very weather dependent.
    My plan for this year is a 1:25 HM - that'll be a 9 min PB. Suits me!

statss wrote: »
    ohhhh HM training, good luck. that's a beefy looking plan.

Only starts at the end of April - and right now its only a plan on paper!

Hard part is executing it. I'll be buying P&D Road Racing book in the coming days - that may change this plan.

Does a 4 hour walk up to the summit of Croagh Patrick count as training?

Does a 4 hour walk up to the summit of Croagh Patrick count as training?

It took you 4 hours?? :eek: Slow coach!;)

Savage day for it though, views must have been spectacular!! I thought you'd be banned from boards as well as running for the week!

• Advertisement

Was away for a few days with the family and between my 2 girls, they had 5 GAA matches this weekend (who needs boys) - so my running suffered as a result. My Lowest milage since Christmas week.

Tuesday 2nd:
    Climbed to the summit of Croagh Patrick - tough gig that. Up & Down in 4 hours with 2 chiselers and a very careful wife.
    Legs were tired mainly from the climb down.

Wednesday 3rd:
    Sneaky 1 hour to the Gym - Wifey & the girls were taking a break, so I whipped out the gear (hidden in the car) and headed to the Gym, (despite the sunshine), and had not got a clue what to do on the treadmill.

Started out like this:

Lets do a warm up - easy run for 8 mins. Still not sure what sort of a session I'd do - maybe 5x1m or 3x2m???
    Realised that the treadmill only worked in KM - so that got my brain working overtime.

Finished the warm up - about 1 mile.
    Decided then to do a tempo of 3x12min (2 min recovery at 6:00/km) - which worked out at 3km at 4:00 per km. (6:25 ish) - so a 3x3km session.

1st rep was fine - felt good - actually felt too comfortable.
    2nd rep was ok too - just mind numbing - dont know how anyone can run on a treadmill every day.
    3rd rep I increased to 3:50 (6:10/mile) and felt good finishing this.

Between the 3 reps and 2x2min recoveries, I had done 9.7k in 40 mins - so happy with the session.

1 mile CD

Thursday 4th

Drove home in time for my weekly footie game. I had 3 people on my team who dont run much, so had to do a lot of extra running on their behalf. Sweated buckets. I think all the drink from the time in Castlebar was sweated out of me at that stage.

Friday 5th

4m easy 8:08 pace

Sat 6th

Time was against me on Saturday as I only had pockets of time available for a run due to my girls having 2 GAA games.
    Would have liked to do the 4m BHAA race, but wouldn't work timewise.

Run 1:Malahide Park Run.

Had a session planned, but got up early and decided at last min to do a Park Run - had planned to do one next week, but thought what the hell - it'll do as a session.

Arrived in plenty of time and done about 1m warm up. Seen nobody I knew at the start - which was strange.
    Had aspirations of a good run, with plans for all 3 miles to be close to 6:00 miles.

There was a big crowd today, Went off in the 1st 2 rows as it gets very crowded. Felt very comfortable in the 1st mile, didn't really feel it and pace on mile 1 was 5:49.

Mile 2 was completely different. I think my legs died.
    Somewhere at the start of mile 2, someone came in and shot a burst of energy sapping pills into me as I felt the energy drain from me.
    Legs felt lifeless - felt like stopping - not from negative thoughts, but from actual lack of energy. Kept going though as my thoughts kept saying that it was a tempo run, not a race.
    Mile 2 finished in: 6:16

Mile 3 was a real HTFU - I felt I was going backwards as a few people passed me. felt lifeless - was actually a bit worried at one stage, but a quick check of the watch and I realised I was still doing ok pace wise. It was a case of just holding on and the memory of not stopping and keeping going would do me good.
    Then the reverse phycology jumped in - "if its only a tempo and not a race - then stop for 10-15 seconds".......

Thats when 'John' the Raheny Shamrocks man passed me - this guy has narrowly beaten me in each and every of my 4 Park Runs - then it became a race and not a tempo.

I really tried to catch him as he had opened a good lead on me, but had no speed in the legs, no kick.

Mile 3 finished in 6:21

The 0.1 was a bit better as I tried to narrow the gap - done it in 5:58 pace. (John F beat me by 4 secs)

Overall 3.1m in 19:00 (6:09 pace).

Immediately as I finished I was bitterly disappointed, not so much on the time, but more so about how I felt on the run. Kinda knocked me a bit.

I introduced myself to John F (Raheny Shamrocks man) and told him of my duals with him (obviously he was oblivious)!! Had a chat with the MSB guy who was 2nd he wasn't happy either with his time, but I guess its all relative :-) .

Driving home I was still kind of beating myself up, but thinking about my race prep, it sunk in:

* Only 21 secs off my PB
    * I had a tough session midweek.
    * Played footie, which I would not normally do on a race week.
    * Climbed a mountain (or a large hill in other peoples language)
    * Acted as a decent session for me.
    * Committed to memory the HTFU needed!!
    * Had a Park Run PB.
    * 16th out of 410 and 5th 'Auld Fella'.

Run 2: 4 miles @ 7:38 pace

Found another 30 mins later in the day after GAA - brought out the dog for a few miles across the road - 8 half mile loops........

Sunday: No time for running - wanted to do a 12 miler today - Swaped it with Mondays rest day.

Overall 20.6 miles - ran 4 times - 1 session and 1 race. - poor in terms of quantity , not too bad in terms of quality. Although I really needed to do a LSR.

Next week I expect to do a 40m week with 2 sessions and 1 run of 12-13 miles and 1 run of 7-8 miles - a couple of recoveries thrown in.

2 sayings that I like; heard them both recently.

1. If you always did what you always done, you'll always get what you always got.

2. The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.

Monday 8th.

12.4m Run (Longest run since DCM!!)

Ran 1st 8 miles with the dog down the Phoenix park, made sure I ran as many hills (at easy pace) as I could. Running along 15 Acres was unbelievable - its like that part of the park has its own micro climate - the winds were unlike anything I've felt in a long time.
    8 miles at 8min/miles - 1:03:59 to be precise!

Got the dog home and started off on the next part of the run 3m at 10k race pace. This was tough and despite my best efforts - not at the pace I wanted, I managed the following - Which I was happy with all things considered.

The 3 miles were:
    (1) 6:31
    (2) 6:24
    (3) 6:35

Finished off with 1.4 miles cool down.

Total: 12:40 miles at 7:40 (1hr 35)

Back of my right knee felt a bit weird on the CD, need to watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Jesus, that dog of yours must be an olympian amongst dogs!

Tuesday 9th

Never have any issues with my calfs, but after yesterdays run, which for me was a long 'un (for most of you in marathon mode its a stroll) - the 3m at 10k pace at the end really made my calfs feel 'hard' - thats the only way to describe it. No sore, not heavy, not achy - just Hard!!

6.09 miles @ 8:09 pace through the phoenix park helped. I was going to throw in some hill sprints, but decided against it.

Wed 10th April

I had a 3x2m in the plan - but as I done a 3x3km last week, I decided against it and decided to do some shorter speed work instead. I decided against a straight 12x400 and opted for 3 sets of 4x300 (3min between sets)

Now - this is going against all things Krusty - its not a progression from a plan - it wasn't even on the plan - but I felt I hadn't done any short speedwork in a while, so this was going to be it.

Ran up to Porterstown (without the dog) as I knew there'd be some football matches on to keep me occupied during this.

1st set of 4 were ok - as I set off I realised I had no idea what pace I was meant to be doing these at - so a quick calculation based on previous 400's and 200's left me with about 1min per rep. - I also reckoned that was faster than 5:30 pace.

1st set: 61 / 59/ 61/61 - (Pace: 5:22 ave)all with a 100m recovery.
    2nd set: 60 / 61/ 59/60 - (Pace: 5:17 ave)
    3rd set: 60/ 57/ 58/ 58 - (Pace: 5:08 ave)

Delighted with the 3rd set.
    Found the 3 mins recovery too much - they were meant to be static recoveries, but I done half static/ half jog.

Total milage was only 5:79 miles in about 48 mins - (the 3min recs throw the times off)

Friday or Sat will be my last session before the KClub race as I'm travelling next week.
    The plan calls for 20x1min hills - need to research this to find the right hills and the right pace to get the right stimulus.
    (this running lark has become far too scientific! - imagine Steve Jones talking like that.............(the younger ones can google him)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

No need to google him though I have no fecking clue how a welsh tv presenter works into that simile

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Tuesday 9th

The plan calls for 20x1min hills - need to research this to find the right hills and the right pace to get the right stimulus.

If you have access to a treadmill, you could do your hill sessions on one. set incline to the required level and reduce it for recovery, i have used this method before during bad weather and it worked well.

Thanks EMPM

What I'm looking for is are these 'all out' pace runs with a long recovery or are they 'tempo paced' with shorter recoveries.

I know that doing 100m hills can have a longer recovery to help recruit fast twitch fibres, but I've no real knowledge of doing 1 min hill repeats - either in the incline required,pace required or recovery time - so that's what I need to look up!!

I think this sort of stuff makes running more interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I did two different types of hill sessions on the treadmill. I am no expert but these were certainly tough sessions.

1) 1k warm up, 10 x 400m @ 6% gradient with 400m recovery at 0%, recovery was at a slow pace.

2) 1k warm up, 1k @ 1% then 10 x 400m @ 4% recovery back to 1% this was all done at half marathon pace (4:17 pace). One tough session.

I know that getting out and doing real hills is best but when the only option you have have is a treadmill, you can still do a quality session.

• Advertisement

Thurs 11th
    1 hr 5 aside football: Bad PF on Friday morning. Think I need to do something different with this football. Either decide that its having a negative impact on my training & bow out or get different runners, dont run as much and do a recovery run afterwards. Something has to change!!

Amazing to type that as I started running to help with Thursday footie!!

Fri 12th
    Nice run in Ph Park with my running buddy (DoggyKing??) 7.5miles at 8.05 pace. 1 hr exactly.
    Ran up Chesterfiels as they were putting up the barriers and signs for the GIR - nearly brought tears to my eyes that I'd miss it this year.

Sat 13th
    Was up early as the 1st Born was playing at u14 level Feile in Portmarnock (Running Princess became GAA Princess for the day). 1st match was at 9am then a good delay till 11:30 for the next match.
    Plan was some hill repeats, but the hamstrings were feeling a bit tight, so decided to just do an easy run.Took my opportunity to get out for a sneaky run along the coast up to Malahide and back. Felt like MarthaStew running along the sea, thinking of my coffee waiting for me (no Pilates or body crunch stuff).
    6.1 miles @ 8:10 pace. planned 5 miles, but got lost coming back looking for Naomh Mhearnogs pitch, despite me being here 3-4 times previously and my car being parked there!!

Came home from Feile like a drowned rat as it pissed out (apparently no rain at home) discovered the dog hadn't been out, so went straight back out with her to the park across the road. (0.5m loop). Decided to go without the watch to see - Done 0.5 easy then really tried to run hard for 5 laps (2.5 miles)Hamstrings felt surprisingly good afterwards - felt a bit like 5k pace but could have been MP as I was so tired!! But the fact that I was running hard gave me a good workout. 0.5m warm down.
    9.6m for the day.

Then brought 2nd born to her GAA match - Jaysus, damn gaa!!

Sunday 14th

Flew to Prague for work stuff - while disappointed to miss the GIR, reading Ecolis report made me happy that I missed it.
    Reading the reports from Rotterdam made me feel bad for those who were running, hopefully a sense of perspective will prevail and they'll all come back stronger.

On the upside I'm sitting here watching the Masters with a nice glass of red!!

41.38 miles for the week - which is my 4th highest mileage week ever, not bad for a 10k plan!!

Advertisement