Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably failing core modules...please help

Options
  • 06-12-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I'm doing a course in DIT on kevin street. I've got myself in this absolute huge mess. There's 12 bio labs this semester and i've only been to like 3, so, clearly, a 40% is pretty impossible. I've also missed didn't hand in 6 lab reports for chem lab either. And none for the next semester so i HAVE to pass as I'm doing a lot of modules.

My excuse? I've got none. Just ditched labs out of pure laziness. It's a bit of a commute. I was thinking of ringing up the lecturer that i have bio labs with to discuss options with him about this. But I've no idea what to say, it's probably pointless to right? Please give me advice. I'm probably gonna have to repeat the year just for those labs. Oh, and i've another module, and i haven't gone to ANY labs. I don't know how it got so out of hand.

EDIT: I'm in my first year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Honestly when it comes to labs and practical classes there really isn't much leeway. Mine require 80% attendance minimum. Unless you had extenuating circumstances or medical notes I'd say you're probably going to have to repeat the practicals, which as you're aware will be next year. I don't know what your odds are for carrying the module into second year but I'd advise you to talk to your course tutor/lecturers ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Well lazy, if you fail like I will(haven't been to any of a particular lab). Make sure the year is well spent. If you have to repeat one or two modules, get your *** together and make sure you go in for them, make sure you never make this mistake again, if you do fail it's not the end of the world, it's much cheaper repeating a year than doing a full one. You can spend time getting another lesser qualification/Cert etc as well as repeating(for example I'm going to do CompTia A+). Just do something and don't waste the year on nothing but the repeat...

The advice i'm giving you is something I realized a few weeks ago when I realized I would fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 _lazy_

Brian, thanks so much for giving me advice. I've been such a waster for this semester. I've now gotten into the habit of ditching labs that is just so hard to break. I was in panic mode but I'm a bit more calmer now. Still stressed out, but I will try to talk to my course tutor tomorrow or next week. What year are u in btw?

yes, that's what i'm afraid of. from day 1 my lecturers were very strict about lab attendance. i just let it get too out of hand. I attended the lab this week and got told off (expected it and deserved it) by the professor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

In first year too, in Elec Engineering. Whatever happens, just don't leave the course(you'll feel like a real waster then, because I have done this before) unless you don't like the course and chose it out of the sake of being a scientist... Try your best at whatever you have left to pass because this will make next year easier and you are more likely to go in for them and stuff. I've been told off twice now. I ain't even bothering with the one I haven't gone too yet I don't really have a chance of passing it. A few weeks ago I was in panic mode too but realized this repeating year would give me a bit of time to get my act together (finally) + attempt to get a qualification for a job I like and just..upgrade my CV in any way possible with those night time 8 week courses and ****. I'm not 100% sure for you but i'll be allowed into semester 2 regardless of passing and failing. So just pass as much as possible atm. If you have to repeat Bio and Chem next year, you have the rest of the modules completed. No Communications lectures, no Maths etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

If you do have to repeat (and it looks like you probably will, sorry but from what you've said it doesn't look like you have much of a comeback), make sure you focus a lot on next semester so that you pass those modules, and when you come back next year you will have a fair bit of time to focus on those modules as well as do your own thing. Many people then use the time to get more involved with societies/get a job/do a fetac course etc.

If it's too late, there's no point in getting stressed about it, look at it more as an opportunity. And make sure you know exactly what the re-registering process is next September, they give you like a week to get organised! *stern face* and don't let this happen again! :P

ok. thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement