Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you spend your Christmas day?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

The Christmas Eve traditions thread gave me the idea to start this one.

Usually wake at about 9/10am, my sister will wake me or I will wake her (it's been like this since we where kiddies)
    My mam still leaves out our presents the same place in the room Santa use to leave them. We open our presents and have a bar out of our selection box :p

11am everyone is rushing around getting ready for Church, have shower and change into my fresh new Christmas day clothes and out the door to 12 o'clock mass with my mam,dad and sisters.

Come home from mass and watch what ever film is on (dad usually leaves on one of these old black&white classics:rolleyes:)

Dinner is served at 2pm. Huge dinner and a few glasses of wine! After dinner some of us will take a an hr kip or stay at the table sipping wine and chatting.

6pm we all make our way over to my grandmothers. Most of my relatives will be there, so we will sit around chatting having a few drinks while overloading on sweets and mince pies.

Head home at about 10pm, mam will make some turkey and ham sandwich's before we all get are fairly tipsy selves to bed :p

How do you spend your Christmas day? and what are your Christmas day traditions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

We generally get up by about ten am, have a bit of breakfast and go run the GOAL mile, basically you go to the local running club, donate money to GOAL and run a mile with a load of other Christmassy people. Get showered and dressed and begin cooking.

There are usually between 6-8 people on Christmas day and present opening may take up to three hours, because we go round the room (by age) and open one gift at a time each. We have lunch in the middle of all this, soup or last year we had spiced beef on brown bread.

Once all that is done we keep cooking and getting the table set up for dinner, usually have starter around half five and dessert about 7.

Dinner is followed by a board game and my mother falls asleep on the couch - at which point we play a buckaroo type game by piling stuff on her and taking photos - great craic altogether.

We have no tv on until very late usually, just spend the day together, chatting. I know it doesn't sound particularly exciting but I absolutely love it, I love watching everyone open each present, taking their time. We each have very individual ways of wrapping too, to this always has to be examined - I've always done brown paper, I mix it up each year with different ribbons, bread dough gift tags, even potato printed and spray painted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Still have Santa in my house with my lil brother :)

So were all woken usually about 7 or 8 and he do be so scared of going down the stairs incase santa hasnt been so we all go down and all presents are opened.

Get ready then and we go to 12 o clock mass and after that we visit my nana and granda's graves and leave a christmas wreath and then its home for dinner.

Usually have dinner for 3 and then everyone chills out after it and around 8 o clock all our immediate family come over and we have a few drinks think thats what makes christmas so special just having all your family there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Stuffing my face full of turkey and stuffing,raiding the cadburys roses tin,drinking a fee beers while watching Home Alone or Willy Wonka, and then spening a good 30 minutes on the toilet squeezing out a big Mr Hanky or a nice Mud Monkey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Get up and dressed at 11am ish
    • Light breakfast, like cereal
    • Put the turkey in the oven!!!
    • Drink prosecco
    • Present opening!!
    • Play with my toys
    • Turkey out of oven, stuffing and veg in oven
    • DINNER!!!
    • Trifle
    • Light and eat the pudding
    • TV
    • Chocolates
    • TV
    • Sandwiches
    • TV
    • Chocolates
    • TV
    • Bed

:pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

It's just me and my dad at home now. We usually open our presents on christmas eve night, then on christmas morning we get up early and go to mass, go to my mums grave, visit my brothers family and my sisters family to see what santa brought! then we go to my other sisters house for the whole day. We have our dinner and watch tv and play games all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I still get up at stupid early!!!! My mother said NOT BEFORE 7.30am, so I lie in bed fitigting til it is time to get up :) Make a cup of tea and snuggle into the mammy's bed to open stocking presents. Then there is breakfast fry. Washed and dressed and off to church. Come home and put the dinner on. Then to the present opening, with drink in hand. All bar the one for Boxing Day. Back over to the cooking. We have starter in and around half 2, followed by mains, Christmas pud, mince pies and sweets if we have room. All washed down with copious amounts of wine!!! We will collapse in a chair for a while, the mother usually has a snooze, might join her this year. Then on to the games. ALL THE GAMES. Particularly Trivial Pursuit, which we are mad for in our house. Don't often put the telly on on Christmas day now to be honest - sometimes will record if something I want to see is on that day and watch it another day (or it'l sit in the Sky+ planner all year, like last years Ab Fab :o!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Silas45

Up around 8 for opening presents with the family. After our presents my dad usually comes down a bit later to open his. Spend a small bit of time with presents, maybe turn on a new cd to listen to. Then have breakfast, ham sandwiches, cornflakes.

Head to 12 mass, then back for bucks fizz. Then half of us including parents will head to the graves while the other half stay at home looking after the dinner and preparing the starters. Starters start just before 3 then a break between them and dinner where the excitment builds. Spend ages over dinner and the wobble to the living room for a snooze.

After a sleep its game time and chocolates. Might watch a small bit of tv but will record a lot of the specials etc. Play games then until 10ish when its time for turkey/ham/spiced beef sandwiches. All topped off with a movie.

Repeat for st.stephen's day without the presents or mass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

hdowney wrote: »
    Make a cup of tea and snuggle into the mammy's bed to open stocking presents.
    Oooh, I LOVE stocking present opening time!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Get up around 9/9.30, head to 10.30 or 12 mass - love mass on Christmas Day! We have a lovely choir so the music is lovely too :)

Then arrive home to the smell of a roasting turkey wafting through the house (mum puts it in the oven before we leave for mass)!

Sit down to dinner normally around 4pm - turkey, ham and all the trimmings - potato croquettes, cheesy garlic potato, mash potato, roast potato :pac: bread stuffing, potato stuffing, brussels, carrots and lashings of gravy! OMG i am salivating right now!!:pac:

Then rest for a little while after dinner :o and have dessert about an hour later - Sherry Trifle with custard and cream - DIVINE!

Light all the night lights in the front room and the living room, watch Christmas tv (love the soaps on Christmas day, always some drama!) and crack open the tin of roses/heroes and terrys chocolate orange :pac:. Drink alcohol, have turkey sandwiches around 9pm.

So basically just eat and sit around a lot - sounds good to me!

Go to bed! PHEW! It's a hard life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Its just me and the OH on Christmas day. It usually goes like this -

Get up around 8:30, showered and dressed.
    Open presents then have a fry.
    Visit my father in laws grave.
    Back home for dinner prep and some prosecco.
    Have dinnner around 2 ish - This year its a whole fillet of beef :D
    Then we might go for a walk for a bit - specially if its snowy!
    Play some silly games like hungry hippos.
    Then its TV and more food and drink for the evening.
    Probably finish off with a film before bed.

It might not be a day full of family, but we sure enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Get up around 11am usually a bit fuzzy from the night before.

Open presents.
    Light breakfast.
    Champagne/Prosecco.
    Visit local family friends for a few drinks.
    Back home and dinner about 5pm - don't like to eat too early.

Nap time - well I have just eaten my weight in turkey, ham and spuds! :)

I'll have bought the Christmas RTE Guide well in advance so I can plan my viewing!! :)

Refer to that to see what's on.

Eat chocolate.
    Turkey and ham sandwiches.
    Chocolate.
    Sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

Dec 24th is xmas day here in Finland so pork dinner with her parents, santa comes just after dinner to the kids,santa usually very intoxicated as he has a drink in each house and this was it for first few years living here but it was a bit of a bummer ringing home on the 25th and hearing all the craic that was going on without me, so invented my own xmas.
    24th same as, dinner at her parents but save all the big presents for the kids for a santa down the chimney early morning opening on the 25th and then Turkey and traditional irish xmas even eastenders crazy storyline. Takes about 4 days before i can move after all these dinners but it really is a great time.

Advertisement