Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Fly-Fishing

Options
  • 06-12-2012 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys been in the fishing game for a few years :D catching pike to 20 lb plus around the midland rivers :D have recently bought a trout setup so any idea where to get lessons?:D i no from reading on different forums its very easy to get into bad habits etc. so ideally i want to start it right from the beginning and also is there any lakes in the midlands that are open during the winter season to have a go at trout bashing?:D i no pallas lake isn't open till may.so any advice or information would be great .thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Hey guys been in the fishing game for a few years :D catching pike to 20 lb plus around the midland rivers :D have recently bought a trout setup so any idea where to get lessons?:D i no from reading on different forums its very easy to get into bad habits etc. so ideally i want to start it right from the beginning and also is there any lakes in the midlands that are open during the winter season to have a go at trout bashing?:D i no pallas lake isn't open till may.so any advice or information would be great .thanks :D
    look up. Put and Take fisherys in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

have recently bought a trout setup so any idea where to get lessons?:D i no from reading on different forums its very easy to get into bad habits etc. so ideally i want to start it right from the beginning and also is there any lakes in the midlands that are open during the winter season to have a go at trout bashing?

I don't buy into the bad habits thing and, by default, the lessons thing. So your technique isn't picture perfect to the 'experts'. Simplest principle of fly fishing is once your fly is on the water you have a chance of a fish. With practice that technique will grow and become personalised and you will begin to recognise your own limitations i.e. distance, etc. . I would guess that the vast, vast majority of fly anglers never forked out the bobs for lessons. A great amount of the satisfaction is learning yourself, improving yourself and turning up at home with a fine trout being able to say "i did that!"

Get to one of those fisheries and chance your arm. Don't be afraid to ask bout fly patterns, and that, if you see another guy getting fish. The guys running such fisheries are good enough to help too (afterall they want you to return) so ask bout flies, leader strength etc, if you're unsure.

Tight lines. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Thanks for your comments:D
    Yes i get what you mean about lessons,think i will save my few bob and teach meself i checked out the put and take fisherys. iam gonna go to lough aishling over the weeknd:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes i get what you mean about lessons,think i will save my few bob and teach meself i checked out the put and take fisherys. iam gonna go to lough aishling over the weeknd:D

Let us know how you get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Will indeed dude will put up a few pics:D

• Advertisement

i fished thier before u should use : a floating zonker. i caught all my fish the last time i went

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I thought useless how to fly fish when I was 13
    Had trials for Irish team at 15
    Main thing I was told by a neighbour of mine was don't bend your wrist
    You'll know what I mean when it happens
    Other than that enjoy the knots and tangles and when you get better and better and catch first fish you can relax and think job done

I thought useless how to fly fish when I was 13
    Had trials for Irish team at 15
    Main thing I was told by a neighbour of mine was don't bend your wrist
    You'll know what I mean when it happens
    Other than that enjoy the knots and tangles and when you get better and better and catch first fish you can relax and think job done

was it hard to get in the irish team.i am still thinking of trying to get in the youth irish team.im only 14.i have been fishing for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

If I were you I would take that lesson. Especially on the basic cast. If you don't get that right there will be no progress. If you don't know what your doing wrong, then how can you fix it? Once you learn that basic forward cast everything else will come with practice, and it will save you years of frustration. Just a heads up!

Advertisement