Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ronjo wrote: »
    So we will have 2 group games at home. They semi and final in London.
    I wonder how far we will have to travel for the other 3 games :D

Ha

I'm hoping three home group matches and the Dublin last 16. Munich for the quarters and then London. €200 all in with Ryanair :p

On a serious note we really have to qualify for this now. Would be an absolute sickener otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

JPA wrote: »
    Sure aren't they hosting the next world cup!
    UEFA/FIFA don't care about morals.

I know yeah, Gazprom are still sponsoring the Champions League as well.
    Thought this might have been an opportunity for UEFA to give them a slap on the wrist this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

i think the 4 quarter finals are too spread across the continent myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

iDave wrote: »
    London AND Glasgow. How did the same country get 2 venues

It's a fair point i would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So does everyone who on the first few pages of this thread though this was the most stupid idea in the history of sports still think it is ?

Regardless of Dublin's participation I think this is a great idea, especially when there was no standout bidder for 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's a fair point i would think

UEFA and/or FIFA don't see them as the same country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So does everyone who on the first few pages of this thread though this was the most stupid idea in the history of sports still think it is ?

Regardless of Dublin's participation I think this is a great idea, especially when there was no standout bidder for 2020

Looking at my posts I was against it and was also full sure that once Istanbul didn't get the 2020 Olympics that UEFA would give them this tournament instead. I was fairly way off there. :o

I'm still not a fan of it, I think they're losing a lot of the intangible good things that you get from having 16 (or 24) sets of fans congregating in the one country. But Ireland being a host is obviously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fantastic news.

well done to John Delaney and the FAI, this is a great coup for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Do people think this is the way forward for football tournaments?

The current model of countries spending hundreds of millions on white elephant infrastructure with often no legacy being left is extremely flawed, as was seen with the World Cup this year.

This occasion could have the whole of Europe buzzing, or it could be a damp squib that passes by without a whimper. We won't know until 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's going to be no joke getting to Baku if we qualify!

Mt9nuEsl.png

thelad95 wrote: »

The current model of countries spending hundreds of millions on white elephant infrastructure with often no legacy being left is extremely flawed, as was seen with the World Cup this year.

This occasion could have the whole of Europe buzzing, or it could be a damp squib that passes by without a whimper. We won't know until 2020.

For Europe I think it is.
    The number of countries that can host these events individually without the white elephants is quiet small.

England
    France
    Italy
    Spain
    Germany
    Russia

After that you would have co-hosts and white elephant jobs.

And most countries would not have the public or political will host these events with little gaps between them

So you may have a situation of 'individual host', then 'multi nation host as in 2020', then , 'co-host', then 'individual host'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Even though Dublin got games, which is great, I don't particularly like the overall idea.

Half the attraction for me personally about finals tournaments is that each finals has an overall identity by virtue of being played in a particular country. I found that was lost slightly even by just splitting Euro 2000 into two for example. Now it's been split in to 13 for Euro2020 it already feels like kind of a nothing-tournament to me.

Speaking of qualifying.

Would host nations be seeded for the qualifiers?

Host nations are as follows: Ireland, Scotland, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Spain, Hungary, Romania, Germany, Italy, Russia, Azerbaijan and England

The highlighted teams didn't qualify for at least one of the last two main international tournaments. Four of them didn;t qualify for either. It's very possible that none of them would qualify for 2020 despite being hosts.

I would imagine Belgium would probably be all right but weren't at the last Euros so have included them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Will any team actually qualify automatically as 'host'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Collie D wrote: »
    Speaking of qualifying.

Would host nations be seeded for the qualifiers?

Host nations are as follows: Ireland, Scotland, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Spain, Hungary, Romania, Germany, Italy, Russia, Azerbaijan and England

The highlighted teams didn't qualify for at least one of the last two main international tournaments. Four of them didn;t qualify for either. It's very possible that none of them would qualify for 2020 despite being hosts.

I would imagine Belgium would probably be all right but weren't at the last Euros so have included them.

It is a fair point that not all of the hosts will qualify. But the competition has just expanded. Apart from Azerbaijan and maybe Romania, I would expect all the bolded hosts to be in with a good shout of getting there.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Disappointed Stockholm missed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

roanoke wrote: »
    Even though Dublin got games, which is great, I don't particularly like the overall idea.

Half the attraction for me personally about finals tournaments is that each finals has an overall identity by virtue of being played in a particular country. I found that was lost slightly even by just splitting Euro 2000 into two for example. Now it's been split in to 13 for Euro2020 it already feels like kind of a nothing-tournament to me.

Out of the last four European Championships, only Euro 2004 was held in one country. So you weren't really interested in the others?

As Fr Tod Umptious pointed out, there's only about 6 countries that could host the tournament comfortably by themselves. When you consider those countries would also be bidding to host World Cups then co-host/multiple host tournaments will continue.

iDave wrote: »
    London AND Glasgow. How did the same country get 2 cities?

Separate associations within UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Is it really fair for Russia to host a game in St Petersburg when they have World Cup 2 years later? Would rather see these games go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Aenaes wrote: »
    Out of the last four European Championships, only Euro 2004 was held in one country. So you weren't really interested in the others?.

No. Just that they were less interesting or intriguing to me than tournaments that were held in a single country. That goes doubly so for this 2020 arrangement.

The votes

- First Phase, (Final & Semi-Finals)
    The selection of London’s Wembley Stadium was made by acclamation after Munich had withdrawn its candidature prior to the vote.

- Second Phase, (Group Games & QFs)
    Germany/Munich: 38 points
    Azerbaijan/Baku: 37 points
    Russia/St. Petersburg: 29 points
    Italy/Rome: 20 points

Belgium/Brussels: 11 points
    Wales/Cardiff: 3 points
    Hungary/Budapest: 2 points

- Third Phase, (Group Games & Last 16)
    The first vote, concerning Zone 2, produced the following result:
    Denmark/Copenhagen: 13 votes
    Sweden/Stockholm: 3 votes

The procedure was then repeated for Zone 4, and produced the following result:
    Romania/Bucharest: 12 votes
    Hungary/Budapest: 3 votes

- Fourth Phase, (Group Games & Last 16)
    Netherlands/Amsterdam: 58 points
    Republic of Ireland/Dublin: 55 points
    Spain/Bilbao: 50 points
    Hungary/Budapest: 48 points
    Belgium/Brussels: 43 points
    Scotland/Glasgow: 22 points

Wales/Cardiff: 21 points
    Sweden/Stockholm: 18 points

Belarus/Minsk, Bulgaria/Sofia, FYR Macedonia/Skopje and Israel/Jerusalem were adjudged not to have fulfilled the bid requirements by the UEFA administration, these candidatures did not participate at all in the selection phases

http://www.uefa.org/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2151195.html

Who did the Swedes piss off to poll so low both times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

The Cush wrote: »
    The votes

- First Phase, (Final & Semi-Finals)
    The selection of London’s Wembley Stadium was made by acclamation after Munich had withdrawn its candidature prior to the vote.

- Second Phase, (Group Games & QFs)
    Germany/Munich: 38 points
    Azerbaijan/Baku: 37 points
    Russia/St. Petersburg: 29 points
    Italy/Rome: 20 points

Belgium/Brussels: 11 points
    Wales/Cardiff: 3 points
    Hungary/Budapest: 2 points

Baku are effectively the #1 selected location?!
    And St Petersburg #2

The final was always going to be London or Munich...

"Money talks..."

The final was always going to be London or Munich...

"Money talks..."

They were the only cities to submit a bid to host the Final/Semi-final games, so one of them was going to get it. Germany withdrew their bid before voting started with London winning without a vote, Germany topped the voting in the next round.

London and Munich also submitted a bid for the next tier of games, the group/qf stage in case they were unsuccessful for the final/semi-final round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Disappointed Ireland has got this.

Weekly attendances at football matches here are appalling. The country doesn't deserve it.

The state of football in this country is in a terrible state and this will be used by Delaney & Co to continue papering over those massive cracks, not that the majority of Irish people care about football here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah we deserve it just as much as the Azerbaijanis, they're not even in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It would be hilarious if England didn't qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The Cush wrote: »
    They were the only cities to submit a bid to host the Final/Semi-final games, so one of them was going to get it. Germany withdrew their bid before voting started with London winning without a vote, Germany topped the voting in the next round.

London and Munich also submitted a bid for the next tier of games, the group/qf stage in case they were unsuccessful for the final/semi-final round.

i think he means baku & st.petersburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Henlars67 wrote: »

Weekly attendances at football matches here are appalling. The country doesn't deserve it.

The state of football in this country is in a terrible state and this will be used by Delaney & Co to continue papering over those massive cracks, not that the majority of Irish people care about football here anyway.

To be fair, you've got a bit of a point. I was just listening to the radio there and Lord Mayor of Dublin Christy Burke is going on about how next Sunday Croke Park will be packed with 82,000 people proving our sporting public have a desire for matches. That's grasping at straws IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Omackeral wrote: »
    To be fair, you've got a bit of a point. I was just listening to the radio there and Lord Mayor of Dublin Christy Burke is going on about how next Sunday Croke Park will be packed with 82,000 people proving our sporting public have a desire for matches. That's grasping at straws IMO

In fairness he does talk awful sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Means nothing really this is about international football not club.

Dublin is as deserving as any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Am i right in presuming that Dublin will get twinned with Glasgow for the group stage?

Would by nice to be guaranteed not to get Netherlands, Spain, Germany or Italy in the group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

ceegee wrote: »
    Am i right in presuming that Dublin will get twinned with Glasgow for the group stage?

Would by nice to be guaranteed not to get Netherlands, Spain, Germany or Italy in the group stage.

It is an interesting point. How are the seedings for the group stages going to work? I assume we will not be in pot 1. If I was to hazard a guess, each team is allocated to its respective pot, then the host countries are placed into a group. So if we were 3rd seeds we would occupy the 3rd place in a group prior to the draw. Then the draw would proceed as normal? That makes most amount of sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Could anyone confirm if my understanding of the qualification process is correct?
    Phase 1: Nations league. Ireland will likely play in Div 2.
    The division is split into 4 groups of 3 teams who playoff home and away

Phase 2: Normal qualifying process. ten groups, top 2 from each qualify

Phase 3: the top team from each group in Div 2 from the Nations League playoff afainst each other for 1 qualifying spot. (Same applies for Div 1, 3 and 4). If a pool winner has already qualified during phase 2 their spot goes to the team below them in the pool.
    If less than 4 teams in a division havent already qualified then the extra spots will go to the next placed team in the lower division

So theoretically Ireland could lose every qualifier and come bottom of their league but still get in the play off places if the other teams in their pool had qualified automatically in phase 2.

Im gonna need a big ass wallchart to keep track of who is qualifying when for this tournament

roanoke wrote: »
    No. Just that they were less interesting or intriguing to me than tournaments that were held in a single country. That goes doubly so for this 2020 arrangement.

Unless I am at the tournament the venues mean nothing to me.

The games are just as interesting or boring regardless of where they are played.

we have one of the best supported international teams across Europe, especially for a country of our size.

theres about 40+ countries accross Europe who would love to have our home international attendances and our away support. look at some of the figures for most countries for friendly games and they barely average 10,000 at each game, we normally get at least twice that.

the vast majority of teams (only about 6-8) who have better attendances, have populations multiples that of ours. our away fan base is the best bar none in Europe.

to say our country doesnt care about football, is a massive lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

we have one of the best supported international teams across Europe, especially for a country of our size.

theres about 40+ countries accross Europe who would love to have our home international attendances and our away support. look at some of the figures for most countries for friendly games and they barely average 10,000 at each game, we normally get at least twice that.

the vast majority of teams (only about 6-8) who have better attendances, have populations multiples that of ours. our away fan base is the best bar none in Europe.

They care about occasions and events. Attendance v Oman was disgraceful. No culture of going to games every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not arguing because I don't know but is this true ?

I go to most of the away games and we don't get high numbers bar the big games away to countries where it is easy to get to.
    I doubt we get close to 3000 for the majority of away games but could be wrong.

dan1895 wrote: »
    They care about occasions and events. Attendance v Oman was disgraceful. No culture of going to games every week.

there was 14,500 at it. you can be pretty sure that if Oman played the other 52 nations in Europe, 45 of those games wouldnt have more than 10-12,000 there.

there were 49,000 empty seats at Wembley on the same night for their Norway game. when they played each other in Norway 2 years ago, there was 21,000 there. if we played Norway or England at home, we'd have either 30k or 49k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

there was 14,500 at it. you can be pretty sure that if Oman played the other 52 nations in Europe, 45 of those games wouldnt have more than 10-12,000 there.

there were 49,000 empty seats at Wembley on the same night for their Norway game. when they played each other in Norway 2 years ago, there was 21,000 there. if we played Norway or England at home, we'd have either 30k or 49k.

Your just completely speculating. Everytime theres a low attendance at an Ireland game there's an excuse for it, everytime there's a high one the horns are fully blown.

Saying thered be a high attendance at an England game ain't half stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Baku getting games is a disgrace. The closest host city to Baku is Budapest which is still very far away from it.
    Azerbaijan isn't even in Europe ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

How many attend games on a weekly or bi-weekly basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

frimpong wrote: »
    Baku getting games is a disgrace. The closest host city to Baku is Budapest which is still very far away from it.

The brown envelopes they gave were three fingers thick. That meets the requirements to host a major tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Fantastic news for Dublin, Ireland and Irish Sport. Hopefully Ireland will qualify for 2020 to avail of the opportunity.

frimpong wrote: »
    Would o be correct in saying that the only bids for 2020 were Scotland/Eire and Georgia/Azerbaijan ?

Thus Dublin, Glasgow and Baku getting picked in this new format.

Seriously how can anyone complain about this?

ceegee wrote: »
    Could anyone confirm if my understanding of the qualification process is correct?
    Phase 1: Nations league. Ireland will likely play in Div 2.
    The division is split into 4 groups of 3 teams who playoff home and away

Phase 2: Normal qualifying process. ten groups, top 2 from each qualify

Phase 3: the top team from each group in Div 2 from the Nations League playoff afainst each other for 1 qualifying spot. (Same applies for Div 1, 3 and 4). If a pool winner has already qualified during phase 2 their spot goes to the team below them in the pool.
    If less than 4 teams in a division havent already qualified then the extra spots will go to the next placed team in the lower division

So theoretically Ireland could lose every qualifier and come bottom of their league but still get in the play off places if the other teams in their pool had qualified automatically in phase 2.

That pretty much sums it up

14ndxtc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

How many attend games on a weekly or bi-weekly basis?

Who decided that that was the criterion that mattered?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement