Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He's just stating that with regard to footballing culture in this country and he's right in my opinion. But as it pertains to International football, it's irrelevant as the national team will be well supported in any tournaments we get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Who decided that that was the criterion that mattered?

Nobody, it's just my opinion that a country that has no culture of people attending football matches doesn't deserve to host games in a major tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

The Cush wrote: »
    That pretty much sums it up

14ndxtc.jpg

I had a quick scan of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Nations_League#Proposed_format) to try understand how this system will work. One thing I don't quite understand relates to if a team has already qualified from the 'traditional route' (i.e. Mar-Nov 2019) then they forego their play-off obligation (March 2020) and donate their place to the next time in line in the NationLeague standing.

However, what happens if, just for example, 9 teams out of 12 teams from "Division A" qualify through the traditional route (which seem entirely possible). This leaves 3 "Division A" teams who go into their play-off bracket (regardless of whether they finish 1st 2nd or 3rd in their group), leaving one place to be filled by a team from a lower division.

Now, if I read this correctly....
    Four teams from each division which have not already qualified for the Euro finals will compete in the play-offs for each division, to be played in March 2020. The play-off berths will be first allocated to each pool winner, and if any of the pool winners have already qualified for the Euro finals, then to the next best ranked team of the division, etc. If in any division, there are fewer than four teams which have not already qualified for the Euro finals, the play-off berths will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the following division
    ... it means that the 'next' team (ie possibly/probably a first place team from"Division B") will be added to my aforementioned three "Division A" teams to make a quartet?

If this is so, then it seems to me like there could be scenarios whereby a "Division B" winner could end up having a more difficult NationsLeague route to Euro 2020 than "Division B" runner-up? Is this correct?

Again, I'm a bit sketchy on all this so if there's a mistake in what I say then please feel free to point it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I wonder where the first match/opening ceremony will be held seeing as there is no official "host". Perhaps Wembley will be considered the "main" host?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I guess we won't have an answer to those questions until the competition Regulations are published sometime in 2017, even now the UEFA graphic above states the format is provisional and subject to change.

The draw for the competition should take place in late 2017 once the World Cup qualifying is completed and the final UEFA National Rankings 2017 are available. The rankings will decide which division/group each country will start in with promotion/relegation thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What was wrong with a straight 2 from every group or however many is needed fill the spots, with playoffs if needed if the number don't work out properly?

Actually, looking at it that seems to be more or less It but they seem to have made it look really complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

What was wrong with a straight 2 from every group or however many is needed fill the spots, with playoffs if needed if the number don't work out properly?

Actually, looking at it that seems to be more or less It but they seem to have made it look really complicated.

As with (IMHO) every move FIFA / UEFA make when it comes to rejigging the qualification process, at its essence it's about aiding the traditional superpower countries and retaining the status quo.

From my observation this divisional system should work out very well for the top 6-8 teams in Europe as it offers them :
    1) extra competitive games (and most likely extra wins) against other highly ranked teams in the FIFA rankings = points!
    2) it offers them 2x ways to qualify for finals tournaments in case they somehow mange to blow it in the traditional qualification route (which almost impossible now anyway that there is 20+ places on offer)

FIFA/UEFA never want to return to the era when countries like England/Netherlands/France/Portugal are missing world cups and euro championships. For instance UEFA must have been fuming when England still managed to fail to qualify for a 16team Euro 2008. That's what I suspect is at the core of all this .... and has been ever since all this expansion/rejigging in the mid '90s onward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder where the first match/opening ceremony will be held seeing as there is no official "host". Perhaps Wembley will be considered the "main" host?

Dublin selected as the venue for the qualification draw.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0928/908123-dublin-to-host-euro-2020-qualifying-draw/
    Our chance to get revenge on every else for 40 years of song&dance routines they've made us sit through before the teams are drawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dublin selected as the venue for the qualification draw.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0928/908123-dublin-to-host-euro-2020-qualifying-draw/
    Our chance to get revenge on every else for 40 years of song&dance routines they've made us sit through before the teams are drawn.

So youre saying make them sit through 15mins of Jedward or Linda Martin, or both? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Why do people bother traveling for draws like that ?
    No advantage being there as opposed to just seeing the outcome on TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Why do people bother traveling for draws like that ?
    No advantage being there as opposed to just seeing the outcome on TV
    All expenses paid jolly!

Was it Euro 88 when someone like Beckenbauer's kid drew a ball, looked at it, and threw it back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The UEFA Executive committee have made a few decisions today regarding Euro 2020:

Brussels have been removed as a host of Euro 2020 with all four of their games now moving to Wembley, which means that Wembley will now host 7 games in total in the tournament.

Rome (Stadio Olimpico) will host the opening game of the tournament.

A random draw was made to pair the cities
    Group A - Rome and Baku
    Group B - Saint Petersburg and Copenhagen
    Group C - Amsterdam and Bucharest
    Group D - London and Glasgow
    Group E - Bilbao and Dublin
    Group F - Munich and Budapest

Each qualifying country will play a minimum of two games at home if applicable.

If Ireland are to qualify, they will therefore face Spain in Group E should they also qualify (which obviously they will)

The match schedule for Euro 2020 will be announced in the spring next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

VillaMad wrote: »
    The UEFA Executive committee have made a few decisions today regarding Euro 2020:

Brussels have been removed as a host of Euro 2020 with all four of their games now moving to Wembley, which means that Wembley will now host 7 games in total in the tournament.

Rome (Stadio Olimpico) will host the opening game of the tournament.

A random draw was made to pair the cities
    Group A - Rome and Baku
    Group C - Amsterdam and Bucharest
    Group E - Bilbao and Dublin

Each qualifying country will play a minimum of two games at home if applicable.

If Ireland are to qualify, they will therefore face Spain in Group E should they also qualify (which obviously they will)

The match schedule for Euro 2020 will be announced in the spring next year.

Drawing randomly is a bit ludicrous when you think of the distances involved. Surely something like

Group A - Baku and Bucharest
    Group C - Dublin and Amsterdam
    Group E - Bilbao and Rome

would have made more sense in terms of travelling. Most of the pairings are OK but Baku and Rome is a trek, Amsterdam and Bucharest could have been better paired also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

FCIM wrote: »
    Drawing randomly is a bit ludicrous when you think of the distances involved. Surely something like

Group C - Dublin and Amsterdam
    Group E - Bilbao and Rome

would have made more sense in terms of travelling. Most of the pairings are OK but Baku and Rome is a trek, Amsterdam and Bucharest could have been better paired also.

It wasnt quite drawn at random, locations were selected based on team strength i.e. Spain were never going to get Germany etc.

bren2001 wrote: »
    It wasnt quite drawn at random, locations were selected based on team strength i.e. Spain were never going to get Germany etc.

It's not the teams I'm talking about it's the venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

With the spread of cities it was always gonna be an issue.I would have preferred if they had maybe looked at it over 2 finals.Give it to countries that will never host a competition but divide it up maybe east and west over 2020 and 2024.Baku,Buarest and St Petersburg could then be in the eastern side.

But the venues and teams are linked. In the example you give, youve Spain and Italy in the same group. That just isnt going to happen.

But the venues and teams are linked. In the example you give, youve Spain and Italy in the same group. That just isnt going to happen.

Teams aren't qualified yet.

Group B - Saint Petersburg and Amsterdam
    Group C - Copenhagen and Rome
    Group E - Bilbao and Budapest
    Group F - Munich and Dublin

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    With the spread of cities it was always gonna be an issue.I would have preferred if they had maybe looked at it over 2 finals.Give it to countries that will never host a competition but divide it up maybe east and west over 2020 and 2024.Baku,Buarest and St Petersburg could then be in the eastern side.

Group A Torshavn and Reykjavik
    Group B Vaduz and Monaco
    Group C Andorra La Vella and Luxembourg City
    Group D Serravalle and the Vatican
    Group E Valletta and Dublin
    Group F Cardiff and Glasgow

Group A Riga and Vilnius
    Group B Tallinn and Helsinki
    Group C Baku and Astana
    Group D Yerevan and Tel Aviv
    Group E Skopje and Nicosia
    Group F Chisinau and Minsk

Would be romantic giving countries which will genuinely never host a tournament a chance but UEFA wouldn't go for it on account of finance.

Thats rimming it .The Vatican :D

Countries similar to Ireland could put on a very good show for 3 or 4 games just make sure there is the 80k stadium and accomodation for the later rounds.

Teams aren't qualified yet.

Group B - Saint Petersburg and Amsterdam
    Group C - Copenhagen and Rome
    Group E - Bilbao and Budapest
    Group F - Munich and Dublin

Has qualification for Euro 2020 not been done yet? Obviously nobody has qualified but its also pretty darn obvious what my point is! They have effectively seeded the draw into two pots and you seemingly are just deciding to ignore this when selecting cities. You would expect all 6 pot 1 teams to easily qualify (Holland, maybe maybe not). The system is so biasedly rigged in their favour with the Nations League.

Pot 1: Italy, Russia, Holland, England, Spain, Germay
    Pot 2: Azerbaijan, Denmark, Romania, Scotland, Ireland, Hungary

When you look at it that way, its clear enough why they selected it the way they did. Theres no mental journey there. Unfortunately, getting to Baku is hard for everyone.

I doubt it was completely random e.g., Baku or St Petersburg was never going to be paired with Dublin. Probably just 'random' within defined geographical and seeding constraints so that each venue had 2 or 3 other venues it could be drawn with.
    Baku was always going to be problematic as no near neighbour was selected to be a host.

Has qualification for Euro 2020 not been done yet? Obviously nobody has qualified but its also pretty darn obvious what my point is! They have effectively seeded the draw into two pots and you seemingly are just deciding to ignore this when selecting cities. You would expect all 6 pot 1 teams to easily qualify (Holland, maybe maybe not). The system is so biasedly rigged in their favour with the Nations League.

Pot 1: Italy, Russia, Holland, England, Spain, Germay
    Pot 2: Azerbaijan, Denmark, Romania, Scotland, Ireland, Hungary

When you look at it that way, its clear enough why they selected it the way they did. Theres no mental journey there. Unfortunately, getting to Baku is hard for everyone.

No need to be smart, you can see by the altered pairing suggestions I made that I knew what you were getting at. Russia in pot one doesn't make sense as they aren't and haven't been in decades a top team so mixing them with a real top team shouldn't matter. Anyway, all I'm saying is given Baku is so far away collocating it with the nearest other venue would have made more sense if UEFA wanted to insist on holding games there.

No need to be smart, you can see by the altered pairing suggestions I made that I knew what you were getting at. Russia in pot one doesn't make sense as they aren't and haven't been in decades a top team so mixing them with a real top team shouldn't matter. Anyway, all I'm saying is given Baku is so far away collocating it with the nearest other venue would have made more sense if UEFA wanted to insist on holding games there.

Going off the Uefa Nations League rankings, they took the top 6 teams. Thats why Russia are in pot 1. I'm not really sure what you wanted them to do, they were going to seed this (if your issue is with this, thats different), based off the seedings, they picked relatively close cities. The fact Baku was selected in the first place was bonkers.

My question is what happens if, for example, Denmark and Russia both qualify and end up in the same seedings category? They both have to be in the same group, how will they get around that one?

• Advertisement

Going off the Uefa Nations League rankings, they took the top 6 teams. Thats why Russia are in pot 1. I'm not really sure what you wanted them to do, they were going to seed this (if your issue is with this, thats different), based off the seedings, they picked relatively close cities. The fact Baku was selected in the first place was bonkers.

My question is what happens if, for example, Denmark and Russia both qualify and end up in the same seedings category? They both have to be in the same group, how will they get around that one?

Probably the problem lies in picking Baku in the first place as you said. I think UEFA could have been wiser in having a pan-European hosted tournament and should have gone with perhaps 2020 Western Europe, 2024 Eastern Europe as another poster suggested. Deciding to go with Baku, they were always creating a problem and even if Baku had been matched with Bucharest I think that still would have been a stretch. My point though is having chosen Baku, Baku should have been collocated with the nearest other venue. Possibly also the case for St. Petersburg. I think they've overstretched it and there's going to be problems be that tired teams or empty stadia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

With months left to the Draw in Dublin UEFA have announced that Germany will host Euro 2024

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45666950

Good to see Germany get it.
    Best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would bet that the host country is always the one that Uefa and Fifa want, especially in financial terms.

The likes of Turkey and Morocco never had a chance.

So why is the Nations League important?

Well here is why, Pots for Euro 2020 Qualifying will be based on your league Rankings from the nations league.

So there will be 7 pots. 10 Groups 5 with 5 teams (A-E) and 5 with 6 teams (F-J)

UNL Pot - Final four in the nations league
    Pot 1 - Teams 5-10 in overall rankings
    Pot 2 - Teams 11-20 in overall rankings
    Pot 3 - Teams 21-30 in overall rankings
    Pot 4 - Teams 31-40 in overall rankings
    Pot 5 - Teams 41-50 in overall rankings
    Pot 6 - Teams 51-55 in overall rankings

Those teams in UNL Pot will be drawn into Qualifying groups A-D, so they only play 8 Qualifying games and can compete in the Nations League Finals.

To give the host nations (Azerbaijan, Denmark, England, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Ireland, Romania, Russia, Scotland and Spain) a chance of Qualifying as winners or runners-up a max of two can be drawn into a group.

Armenia /Azerbaijan, Gibralter/Spain, Kosovo/Bosina, Kosoco/Serbia and Ukraine/Russia can not be drawn into the same group

Max of two teams from Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Russia and Ukraine can be in the same group because of winter conditions.

There is also an excessive travel for Azerbaijan, Iceland and Kazakhstan.
    Azerbaijan can only have one from Gibraltar, Iceland or Portugal in their group if drawn against any

Iceland can only have one from Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia and Israel.

Kazakhstan can only have one from Andorra, England, France, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Ireland, Scotland, Spain and Wales.

Pots as it stand
    UNL Pot
    France
    Spain
    Belgium
    Portugal

Pot 1
    Switzerland
    England
    Italy
    Netherlands
    Poland
    Germany

Pot 2
    Croatia
    Iceland
    Bosnia
    Ukraine
    Russia
    Wales
    Denmark
    Austria
    Czech Republic
    Turkey

Pot 3
    Sweden
    Ireland
    Slovakia
    Northern Ireland
    Finland
    Israel
    Norway
    Serbia
    Bulgaria
    Scotland

Pot 4
    Greece
    Montenegro
    Romania
    Hungary
    Albania
    Cyprus
    Slovenia
    Estonia
    Lithuania
    Georgia

Pot 5
    Luxembourg
    Macedonia
    Kosovo
    Belarus
    Azerbaijan
    Gibraltar
    Kazakhstan
    Armenia
    Moldova
    Faroe Islands

Pot 6
    Latvia
    Liechtenstein
    Malta
    Andorra
    San Marino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

ebbsy wrote:
    The likes of Turkey and Morocco never had a chance.

I'd imagine not being in Europe or UEFA slightly hampered Moroccos chances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

A group of Switzerland, Czech, Ireland, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands and San Marino please...although I still wouldn’t be confident. Is there any restrictions on drawing Wales or Denmark? Sick of playing them both tbh so hope we can’t get them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is there any danger (chance) of Germany dropping to pot 2?

greendom wrote: »
    Is there any danger (chance) of Germany dropping to pot 2?

Germany have one game left, Croatia have 2 games left so yes there is a chance

2020 Pots
    UNL Pot

Switzerland
    Portugal
    Netherlands
    England

Pot 1
    Belgium
    France
    Spain
    Italy
    Croatia
    Poland

Pot 2
    Germany
    Austria
    Iceland
    Bosina and Herzegovina
    Ukraine
    Denmark
    Sweden
    Russia
    Wales
    Czech Republic

Pot 3
    Slovakia
    Turkey
    Ireland
    Northern Ireland
    Scotland
    Norway
    Serbia
    Finland
    Bulgaria
    Israel

Pot 4
    Hungary
    Romania
    Greece
    Albania
    Montenegro
    Cyprus
    Estonia
    Slovenia
    Lithuania
    Georgia

Pot 5
    Macedonia
    Kosovo
    Belarus
    Luxembourg
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    Kazakhstan
    Moldova
    Gibraltar
    Faroe Islands

Pot 6
    Latvia
    Liechtenstein
    Andorra
    Malta
    San Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That'll do nicely

Poland
    Czech Republic
    Ireland
    Estonia
    Gibraltar
    San Marino

Oh ffs no

France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Romania
    Kosovo
    Latvia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Some contrast between those two groups. God love whoever gets Germany as a second seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

We are useless whoever we get. Delaney out.

There can only be two hosts in each qualifying group so that somewhat reduces our chances of getting Germany.

Hosts are in these pots.

Italy(1), Netherlands(1), England(1), Spain(1).
    Denmark(2), Germany(2), Russia(2).
    Republic of Ireland(3), Scotland(3).
    Romania(4), Hungary(4).
    Azerbaijan(pot 5).

Draw order could be interesting. usually they work backwards from 6 to 1. If so we'd presumably hope to get in a group early with Hungary or Azeri which would insta remove lots of bad outcomes.
    Conversely if they go 1 to 6 we could really do with Germany being in with one of the hosts from pot 1 meaning we couldn't be in there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Prob draw Georgia again

Can also see us get Germany and Croatia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It sad to say that the most I am hoping for is a good away trip from this draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Correct me if I'm wrong - we have a better chance of qualifying if we get one of the 4 teams in the UCL group, right?

I actually wouldn't mind getting England - at least you know our players will fight against them!

Hoping for no Denmark or Wales - sick of em! And we've had our fair share of Germany over the last while too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

If Ireland and Spain qualify does that mean we have to be in Group E in Euro2020?

They have made qualifying so convoluted!!!!

A mathematician with a doctorate in permutations must have come up with it.

So if we don't qualify directly, then we need a minimum of 16 of the 24 teams from league a and league b to qualify so that we get into a playoff?

recyclebin wrote: »
    If Ireland and Spain qualify does that mean we have to be in Group E in Euro2020?

They have made qualifying so convoluted!!!!

A mathematician with a doctorate in permutations must have come up with it.

Yes, we'll both be Group E and a coin toss will decide whether our game v Spain is in Dublin or Bilbao with the other game in the group being in the other venue.

It is quite complicated this time, loads of extra stuff in it (even geographical splitting in the qualifiers to prevent teams having more than one trip to the other end of Europe). I'm a nerd though so find it fascinating.

So if we don't qualify directly, then we need a minimum of 16 of the 24 teams from league a and league b to qualify so that we get into a playoff?

I d'ont know bud but I am going to cling on to this hope.

Good article here to explain it:
    https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2581807.html

In theory we could lose all our qualifying group games and still get a playoff if enough teams above us in the league of nations qualify directly. What we do from now on has no bearing on us getting a playoff.

Does what you say bud mean even if we finish bottom of our group we may well get a playoff place.

(Head explodes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes, we'll both be Group E and a coin toss will decide whether our game v Spain is in Dublin or Bilbao with the other game in the group being in the other venue.

It is quite complicated this time, loads of extra stuff in it (even geographical splitting in the qualifiers to prevent teams having more than one trip to the other end of Europe). I'm a nerd though so find it fascinating.

I thought if both qualified Spain got three home group games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

That'll do nicely

Poland
    Czech Republic
    Ireland
    Estonia
    Gibraltar
    San Marino

Oh ffs no

France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Romania
    Kosovo
    Latvia

It'll do (could be better could be worse)

Italy
    Iceland
    Ireland
    Hungary
    Armenia
    Malta

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement