Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Outrageous curl on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That curve on the ball is astounding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Scottish right full is struggling. He's so limited on the ball it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Scottish right full is struggling. He's so limited on the ball it seems.

He's looked nervous and uncomfortable from the opening minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

AMKC wrote: »
    What a goal. What the hell was the Scottish keeper doing?
    I wouldn't be too hard on him. It was a quick break for the Czechs and it was an instinctive, early hit. Marshall saw what was happening and he started running back pretty early.

Every replay shows how great it was. Some curl, got it to drop inches below the crossbar.

Turning into a really good game. Good response from Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

lawred2 wrote: »
    the margins are very fine in international football

2 - 3 top quality players can elevate a side easily into the top 20 of the world

Things go in cycles for the small to medium sized nations like ourselves and Scotland. People need to realize that that's how international football goes; no oligarch is coming in to fix things.
    We're behind them at the moment but hopefully it won't be for as long as we were ahead of them (last 20 years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What was Marshall doing, way too far up the pitch but what a finish from Schick, that curl was unbelievable.

Expected so much more from the Scots,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Vaclik playing a stormer.

Scotland need to be putting those away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

great save from czech keeper, but should have been a goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

rob316 wrote: »
    What was Marshall doing, way too far up the pitch but what a finish from Schick, that curl was unbelievable.

Expected so much more from the Scots,

Harsh on Scotland. They've played well but the Czechs have a top-class striker who has made the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another chance not taken. Vaclik did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oof, nothing going right for the Scots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

This has turned into an enjoyable game, didn't think I'd be saying that after the first 40ish minutes. Think there's another goal in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Scotland really don't have the quality to be trying to play it out from the back.

Gbear wrote: »
    Scotland really don't have the quality to be trying to play it out from the back.

Some very squeaky bums when they try and knock it around the 6 yard box

Look where the ball is from this angle!!!

15 shots from Scotland; just 3 on target. 8 shots from the Czechs; 5 on target. That tells the story.

Good to see O’Donnell replaced, not had a great game. Hopefully Forrest can do something in his 10 or 15 minutes to stake a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Scotland BBC commentator went from talking up their chances of getting out of the group to resignation. He even said of on Czech shot. If that went in it would have been Czech mate.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Good to see O’Donnell replaced, not had a great game. Hopefully Forrest can do something in his 10 or 15 minutes to stake a claim.

And something he did. Unfortunately missing the crucial bit at the end:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Scotland will be Schick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Czechs have looked pretty solid to be fair. Scotland have had some good play and got into some good positions, but they've mostly come up against a brick wall.

You'd have to say it's probably curtains for them at this stage. Can't see them getting 4 points from England and Croatia.

Don't think Scotland played badly but unfortunately their finishing wasn't there. The Czechs were tidy and made more of their opportunities. Interested to see how they fare against Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gbear wrote: »
    The Czechs have looked pretty solid to be fair. Scotland have had some good play and got into some good positions, but they've mostly come up against a brick wall.

You'd have to say it's probably curtains for them at this stage. Can't see them getting 4 points from England and Croatia.
    Czechs will probably beat Croatia too. Scotland don't seem to have that much of a chance of a point based on this although the oul enemy on Friday may fire them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That's the 4th or 5th time the commentator mentioned that Baccara song, seriously who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Did Duff say they fancied to beat Spain and Italy in 2012 after losing to Croatia?!

Teams for the next game:
    Poland XI: Szczesny; Bereszynski, Glik, Bednarek; Jozwiak, Krychowiak, Linetty, Rybus; Klich, Zielinski; Lewandowski.

Slovakia XI: Dubravka; Pekarik, Satka, Skriniar, Hubocan; Kucka, Hromada; Haraslin, Hamsik, Mak; Duda.

Lewandowski up against Skriniar will be a fun contest. I'll go for 1-1.

Marshall was nearly in the centre circle when the ball broke. Ridiculously high up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s always heartbreaking for Scotland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

15 shots from Scotland; just 3 on target. 8 shots from the Czechs; 5 on target. That tells the story.

The Scotland figures above highlight one of my bugbears with OPTA (or whoever is doing the stats).
    3 on target from 15 looks terrible.
    But lots of the shots were blocked or deflected behind for a corner, and these all go into the 'off target' count.
    I also thinks it's 'morally' wrong that hitting the post or crossbar (Scotland hit the bar once) counts as off-target, whereas scuffing one straight at the keeper is on-target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Scotland figures above highlight one of my bugbears with OPTA (or whoever is doing the stats).
    3 on target from 15 looks terrible.
    But lots of the shots were blocked or deflected behind for a corner, and these all go into the 'off target' count.
    I also thinks it's 'morally' wrong that hitting the post or crossbar (Scotland hit the bar once) counts as off-target, whereas scuffing one straight at the keeper is on-target.

but hitting the post is off target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is Duff legitimately thick?

Damien Duff always looks really pissed off and annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't think Scotland played badly but unfortunately their finishing wasn't there.

I remember RTE previewing Scotland ahead of Euro 1996 or World Cup 1998, when they were going in with Gordon Durie as their main striker. He quoted some pundit's verdict that "Scotland are rubbish". One of the panelists pointed out their strong points but concluded "I just can't see them scoring". So plus ca change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Milik is a big loss to Poland's squad, but I still fancy them to have just enough here I think. Maybe 2-0, like the Scotland game, getting their second on the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Honestly I can't understand RTE ever letting Peter Collins near a football gig. He just doesn't have a clue about it. So unnatural trying to talk about it. Not quite Tubs level but not far off

lawred2 wrote: »
    but hitting the post is off target

Indeed it is.

But I always think it at least deserves a separate category rather than just off-target e.g., break the figures down as shots, on target, woodwork, off-target.

Like who has never sat in the pub after their Sunday league loss bemoaning that they hit the post 3 times - yet no-one ever talks about dribbling a few at the keeper from 25 metres.

Dismissing hitting the post as off-target is imo, Roy Keane levels of soulless joy-sapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Schick said he’d watched Marshall in the first half and noticed he was coming quite far off his line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

That comment about making a motivational video is best thing Duff has ever done as a commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Indeed it is.

But I always think it at least deserves a separate category rather than just off-target e.g., break the figures down as shots, on target, woodwork, off-target.

Like who has never sat in the pub after their Sunday league loss bemoaning that they hit the post 3 times - yet no-one ever talks about dribbling a few at the keeper from 25 metres.

Dismissing hitting the post as off-target is imo, Roy Keane levels of soulless joy-sapping.

maybe

ultimately doesn't really matter

maybe better to not classify the shots that dribble into the keepers arms than have a column for off the post etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

pavb2 wrote: »
    Schick said he’d watched Marshall in the first half and noticed he was coming quite far off his line

He was a touch off his line alright

https://twitter.com/HereCelts/status/1404443099124936711?s=20

Just on the Scotland > Ireland debate mid-match.
    Wasn't a huge lot between both teams qualification campaigns - the Scots finished outside T2 in the groups and qualified via two penalty shoot-out wins in the playoffs.

We lost the shootout in our semi-final - it's quite plausible that if we'd won that we would have ended up needing to take more penalties in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

In fairness to Kevin Doyle he seems to do his research on these players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Slovakia are up to much, this Poland squad looks decent even without Milik.
    I fancy Poland to win this one by two.

Does every Scottish campaign seem to go

Lose opening game they could have won
    Draw second game to give them hope
    Win third game with a superb display
    Eliminated because, in the other fixture, someone scored a last minute winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I know its been talked about loads but the whole different countries as host's has made this years tournament very soulless,

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    In fairness to Kevin Doyle he seems to do his research on these players

Yeah he's the opposite of Liam Brady who has openly admitted on a few occasions that he doesn't know most the players in the games that he's been on for. Basically couldn't be bothered doing any research and he's just dialling it in at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Is it just me or does Klich look a lot like Shane Long?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement