Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

2-1 slovakia via skriniar

Caught it nicely in fairness, for a back man.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I have no issues with that sending off.

The pull back is a yellow and I think that's a yellow.

The trouble is the mentality that refs usually have of trying not to dish out second yellows too easily. If everything was enforced, we'd see a lot more red cards. I think this was one such case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Good finish from Slovakia. But the defending by Poland was diabolical. 6 players marking nobody.

sligeach wrote: »
    But the defending by Poland was diabolical. 6 players marking nobody.

Zonal marking gone wrong, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not near the level of claiming Irish people as British but I only noticed when I was listening to today's episode eof quickly Kevin and they played the clip of sterling's goal, the commentator says "born in the shadow of wembley" , how big is the ground that the shadow stretches to Jamaica? :)
    I'm sure he meant raised but still. At least the media seem to have moved on from villifying him for buying a house now that he scored a winner for them I suppose.

Also, Matt Forde saying he's never seen so many people of drugs as he did in Wembley yesterday and that there was a sizable section of , shall we say, undesirables among the crowd.
    Scrolling twitter and it was this tweet that reminded me of what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

All over. Good result for Slovakia. Poland disappointing, and their next game is against Spain.

Kevin Doyle talking about players diving "that's what players do these days". You'd swear he never dived :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whelan sounds like he is holding his breath when talking. Plus adds zero insight to the game. As you correctly say he is very negative and there is no vibrancy in him. It is like he does not want to be there.

Ronnie Whelan is the Father Stone of football commentary, like he is technically alive but he sounds like he is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

RTE is dire. Whelan is the antithesis of enthusiastic and is hard to listen to for any game for 90 mins. Now I am listening to Doyle and Duff go on and on about the 2nd yellow and their persistence in calling it soft and just a body check while RTE continue showing slow mo replays of it. Are they deliberately missing the stamp on the foot or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Didn't realise Sebastian Larsson is still playing for Sweden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan is the Father Stone of football commentary, like he is technically alive but he sounds like he is dead

Lisa Fallon surely would be a way better option?
    Amazed Whelan has lasted this long.

Team news for the evening game:
    Spain XI: Simon; M. Llorente, P. Torres, Laporte, Alba; Koke, Rodri, Pedri; F. Torres, Morata, Olmo.

Sweden XI: Olsen; Lustig, Danielsson, Lindelof, Augstinsson; Larsson, Ekdal, Olsson, Forsberg; Berg, Isak.

Enrique keeps faith with Morata up top. Isak coming off a good season with Sociedad. Keen to see how he gets on.

I'll go 2-1 Spain.

So odd not picking the full 26. Even if you've no intention of playing them, why not stick 3 players in there just in case?

Surely having and not needing Ramos is much better than needing and not having.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So odd not picking the full 26. Even if you've no intention of playing them, why not stick 3 players in there just in case?

Think 23 is the match day limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Didn't realise Sebastian Larsson is still playing for Sweden

Watching the EPL makes me feel old with all the new young players flying round that I have never heard of.

God bless the Euros for still having Yilmaz, Pandev running around the place

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Think 23 is the match day limit

Yeah but they only brought 23 to the tournament AFAIK. They're allowed 26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Liam Brady sorting his notes. Must have done lots of research!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Watching the EPL makes me feel old with all the new young players flying round that I have never heard of.

God bless the Euros for still having Yilmaz, Pandev running around the place

This will probably make you feel old- Henrik Larsson's son, Jordan, is in the Swedish squad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Poland disappointing, and their next game is against Spain.

Again.

Poland always are rubbish when it comes to tournament time.

Lewandowski may as well not have been on today.

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    This will probably make you feel old- Henrik Larsson's son, Jordan, is in the Swedish squad :o

I'm also the same age as Bellinghams mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Turn it to ITV if you have the option. Besides her use of the word "irregardless" Emma Hayes is breaking it down. Talking about where the overloads and underloads are happening and about width and depth. Real football talk
    Irregardless is one of the greatest words in the English language.

Irregardless of the fact that irregardless and regardless mean the same thing, it's a brilliant word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Luis Enrique is a clown, to not bring Canales, Aspas or Nacho and then to start Morata Who is tripe over moreno, it's almost like he wants to troll the Spanish nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

"Prediction tonight, Liam?"

"I'm watching tonight, Darragh..."

Second time in two evenings I've heard Brady come out with this. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not the Spanish anthem without Ramos staring up at the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Not one player singing the national anthem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Spanish anthem is instrumental, it has no words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Get your thoughts but bringing Ramos and not having him involved might not be the best solution for the dressing room. But id still bring 26 like, it makes sense in anyone logical way of thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Spanish anthem is instrumental, it has no words.

I know, it was my attempt at a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anybody else enjoy watching Spain lose?

I’ve never warmed to them for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Who’s commentating? George is being rested for the blockbuster fixture tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

There are no words to sing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This looks like a Spanish team for the World Cup. I like it, lots of exciting young players.
    With the exception of Alba and maybe Koke it's a pretty young team.

Forget the national anthems, the only song that needs attention is that god awful U2 song that gets played before the matches.

I hated tiki taki. I get that it was effective but the football Barca played and even worse the version of it Spain played when they were successful was so boring.

Bad enough having to watch it but then having to listen to the circle jerking over it made me hate Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Completely different team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Forget the national anthems, the only song that needs attention is that god awful U2 song that gets played before the matches.

Hold up - excuse me? Are you telling me we are not the people we've been waiting for?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I'm liking this Spanish team so far.

Spain playing a lot more like their pretty-fun 2008 iteration, rather than the over-passing dogmatics they turned into later.

Funnily enough they were in a group with Sweden back then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Spain look knacky, nice pace to what they're doing.

• Advertisement

Not often you see two left-footed CBs together. They've not been tested yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Who's this Redri chap and why are people going nuts over him

That's two great chances for Spain now. Looks only a matter of time.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Who's this Redri chap and why are people going nuts over him

Pedri - 18 year old Barca player. I've not seen much of him to be honest. Fabregas seemed very excited about him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hard to believe there are more Brighton players in the Spanish squad than players from Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Wee Pedri is sensational in midfield. Just 18, making his 5th International appearance, but he controls the game like a pro twice his age.

Equium wrote: »
    Wee Pedri is sensational in midfield. Just 18, making his 5th International appearance, but he controls the game like a pro twice his age.

There aren't too many great 36 year old midfielders out there, so I'm not sure if this is a compliment or an insult :p:o

• Advertisement

Didn't expect Sweden to be this negative. Hope Spain score to open this game up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There aren't too many great 36 year old midfielders out there, so I'm not sure if this is a compliment or an insult :p:o

Wessi is 39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Didn't expect Sweden to be this negative. Hope Spain score to open this game up.

Think Sweden were hoping to do a war of attrition and catch Spain out.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Modric!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sweden offering nothing.
    Like Poland.

What's the point qualifying for tournaments if you going to go and play like this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement