Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Isak is a baller

Some serious close ball skills under pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great work from Isak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Isak is a baller

Footwork like Michael Jackson that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Would love a Sweden winner here, Spain lots of possession but doing feck all with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Twice this half Isak was surrounded by Spanish players and managed to dance his way out.

Real eye catching performance - I'd say a few clubs might be on the phone to Sociedad about him by tournaments end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The Scotland figures above highlight one of my bugbears with OPTA (or whoever is doing the stats).
    3 on target from 15 looks terrible.
    But lots of the shots were blocked or deflected behind for a corner, and these all go into the 'off target' count.

There has to be a line drawn when coding and strict definitions have to be adhered to; A) for archive statistics and B) for betting purposes etc

Coders can’t be taking a long time deciding after every single blocked shot whether it was going on target or not, that’s why definitions have been created for them.

Shot on target = either a goal or else a SAVE from the goalkeeper that was clearly going to be a goal if he didn’t save it OR a block on the line from an opposition player which was guaranteed to go in if they didn’t block it.

I think all shots from outside the box that are blocked by a defender (unless on the line) are deemed as off-target for that reason - too many variables involved, especially in live-coding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

"Morata trying to make something of this"

Ball runs out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Did Moreno kill Enrique's dog or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Spain have competed 560 passes so far. Sweden 74.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that there are no Real Madrid players in the squad. Surely the fact that Spain won 3 tournaments in a row with an axes of Barca/Real players means that they can co-exist. Shocking stuff from the manager. If the likes of Southgate had done similar with Utd/Liverpool players, there'd be war.

Real Madrid and Barcas Spanish players simply aren't good enough any more.

It's not a decision to spite these clubs, it's simply based on performances.

• Advertisement

Isak coming off. How odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

NIMAN wrote: »
    Real Madrid and Barcas Spanish players simply aren't good enough any more.

It's not a decision to spite these clubs, it's simply based on performances.

I dunno. They came 2nd in La Liga. Ramos, Carvajal and Isco would surely make the squad at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Supporters in that stadium prob need binoculars

Can't believe that stadium exists given that there are already 2 big ones in town

Ramos only played a handful of games, he's been left out cos he missed most of the season.

Carvajal injured too.

Isco was a bit part player too. Didn't get much game time all season. Plus, he's been in the big stage before and never ripped up any trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

This is horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Vicxas wrote: »
    Isak coming off. How odd

Understandable if they're playing for 0-0.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ramos only played a handful of games, he's been left out cos he missed most of the season.

Carvajal injured too.

Carvajal injured? Fair enough, didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Spain have competed 560 passes so far. Sweden 74.

This is my problem with tiki taka ( I know Spain don't play that way now) and stats driven football. Spain always have loads of passes but to where and between who. Safe passes around the midfield all count for stats but not a bit towards actual goals

breezy1985 wrote: »
    This is my problem with tiki taka ( I know Spain don't play that way now) and stats driven football. Spain always have loads of passes but to where and between who. Safe passes around the midfield all count for stats but not a bit towards actual goals

I agree with the point - but Spain have created more than a few chances at the end of those periods of possession. Could easily have scored 3 at least by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spain are awful. Moratta I don't understand what any coach sees in him so average. Baffling he leaves Moreno on the bench instead. The money they for this lad too

• Advertisement

Spain are going nowhere without a decent striker. Morata is just not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

How can they not chance Traore for half hour

I know he can be headless at times but surely he his speed alone would cause problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Would be surprised if Spain won the tournament, really lack quality firepower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

This game is so bad, we just had a power outage to relieve our boredom.

Weirdly the longer this goes on, the less direct Spain are being. Shades of their performances in Russia creeping in this half.

It's like the muscle memory of tedious play has kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

breezy1985 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/RichJolly/status/1404526759001866243

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Real eye catching performance - I'd say a few clubs might be on the phone to Sociedad about him by tournaments end.

Was linked with Barca and Arsenal recently enough.Think Dortmund have first refusal but he won't go back there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Thiago is a bit overrated for me, made a few poor passes after coming on.

Ruiz only getting 5 minutes,he an excellent player.

• Advertisement

The lack of movement is fairly shocking, they're just standing in formation. Really weird.
    Not much the deeper midfielders can do if everyone ahead of them is hiding.

Endless passing going nowhere, like that game against Russia at the last World Cup where they had 1,000 passes in the match and did fook all with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Can't see any goals happening. Sweden are not going forward and Spain can not get by the Swedish defence so I think it will end 0-0 as Sweden are happy with a 0-0 draw.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Thiago is a bit overrated for me, made a few poor passes after coming on.

He's extremely direct for Liverpool. It helps to be better coached and have better players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What a save!

What a ball in too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

moreno! so close again, though straight at the keeper i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Spain are like Liverpool last season. Suspect at the back, ridiculous possession in midfield, try to walk it in up front. All huff and puff but no end product. Frustrating to watch.

Olsen probably man of the match.

No cutting edge up front from Spain.

Worst game so far..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Spain's game plan: pass, pass, pass times 1000. Full time whistle blows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If yez want an idea of what playing kickabout football with Spaniards is like, this is pretty much it. Passing it to death and over-playing it and an aversion to going direct and quicker.

It can be mind-numbingly frustrating.

Fantastic result for Sweden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Spain will be kicking themselves. They looked more dangerous with Moreno on. I hope he gets to start the next game. Fair play to Sweden. They dug in and deserved to get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not a good game but delighted Sweden held out, Spain were brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What an awful match

Spain style always bores the hell out of me, always felt it's the definition of Simpsons football

As a football fan it's a shame to see a team being so negative like Sweden, I can understand why but it's so anti football for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Fabregas probably thinks he could still do a better job as a false 9 than Morata as a 'real' one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah I didn't think Spain were as bad as some are making out. Dominated the game but couldn't score, it happens. Morata very poor and really should have buried his chance in the first half. A few other chances and good saves by Olsen, mind you Sweden had one or two good chances of their own.

It is frustrating to watch Spain though, the obsession with passing is almost too much sometimes. If they have the same problems against Poland and Slovakia then it's panic stations.

Moreno should have started

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Did some people expect Sweden to have a right go? First match, in Spain and in hot conditions. Going out in style losing 4-0 isn’t admirable. Everyone expects goals nowadays but every so often some backs to wall defending is great to see.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement