Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Group is wide open now. You want third games to matter in these groups. Sweden probably had best chance of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dreadful. I should have extended my evening walk instead of watching that ****e. I'll be making plans for Spain's future games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dreadful. I should have extended my evening walk instead of watching that ****e. I'll be making plans for Spain's future games.

I presume Poland and Slovakia will try copy Swedish game plan .
    Sit back and let Spanish pass the ball to death.

sugarman wrote: »
    They probably will but Spain could have won tonights game 1 or 2-0 if not for poor finishing and on another night they probably would have. Moreno looked a lot more composed when he came on and I think he'll offer a much bigger threat than Morata if they start him against Poland. Particularly after how easy Slovakia cut through their defense earlier today.

Not starting Moreno was a big mistake ,Spain should have enough to beat both teams but if I was both teams I'd be trying to copy what Sweden did, so unlikely to be enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Headshot wrote: »
    What an awful match

Spain style always bores the hell out of me, always felt it's the definition of Simpsons football

As a football fan it's a shame to see a team being so negative like Sweden, I can understand why but it's so anti football for me

Personally I find the contrast in styles interesting to watch and is what makes football so fascinating. Sweden weren't going to go out to have a go and end up getting hammered off the pitch. I don't get this anti-football stuff. Defending and keeping the opposition in front of you is just as valid a style as passing it around or any other style. I appreciate a competent team defensive display as much as a 5 goal end to end match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Spain tried to play like they did when they won two consecutive Euros with a World Cup win in between them. Truth is they don't have anybody like Xavi or Iniesta and as a result it's just not as good. They had the option to cross the ball into the box but pulled it back and passed it around multiple times. Keep putting in those crosses and you'll probably score and you'll open space in behind as well.
    Change of tactics is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Isak was very impressive for Sweden. Couldn't believe they took him off.

Spain were disappointing. I'm not sure why they went with Morata over Moreno but if they correct that for the next couple of games I'd expect them to win.

Worst game of the tournament so far but that's only one out of 10 games that was fairly uninspiring. I'd take that rate for the rest of the tournament.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Personally I find the contrast in styles interesting to watch and is what makes football so fascinating. Sweden weren't going to go out to have a go and end up getting hammered off the pitch. I don't get this anti-football stuff. Defending and keeping the opposition in front of you is just as valid a style as passing it around or any other style. I appreciate a competent team defensive display as much as a 5 goal end to end match.

Good point, well made.

It wasn't overly fun to watch. But Sweden are there to try get a result. Opening up and going toe to toe with Spain with see them getting hammered. As it is they got a point, and could've nicked it has Berg not fluffed good lines in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Isak was very impressive for Sweden.

Apparently his full name is Alexander Isak Murphy:confused:

Another one that got away? Seems to be de rigeur for the Scandinavian teams this tournament...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Crazy prediction time.....

Hungary will not finish bottom of Group F!

One of France, Germany or Portugal (likely Germany IMHO) will implode. One big team generally does it in every tournament, either through infighting, power struggles, player revolts, or something. Its Jogi Loew's läßt few weeks in the job, players sometimes don't play for managers in that circumstance. France have done it before, and already (over egged?) reports of a spat between Giroud and mbappe. Portugal.... Is Ronaldo going to play as part of the team? No longer at the height of his powers.

Might be as far out as a lighthouse, but watch this space.

Hungary looked very ordinary vs Ireland last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Isak was very impressive for Sweden. Couldn't believe they took him off.

Spain were disappointing. I'm not sure why they went with Morata over Moreno but if they correct that for the next couple of games I'd expect them to win.

Worst game of the tournament so far but that's only one out of 10 games that was fairly uninspiring. I'd take that rate for the rest of the tournament.

Isak plays in Spain and all. I think he will have quadrupled his asking price by the end of this tournament.

Spain were in hard luck in fairness they only needed the one goal. But they did make me laugh. Doing the difficult things well - keeping the ball.

But the movement was terrible it was almost like they were afraid to take responsibility and go for it. And took too many passes when he great positions. Frustrating to watch. Whip the ball in the odd time or have a long range shot. At least give the fella with the ball angles and options. It was very one dimensional.

Spain should still should easily qualify top though. And Sweden should get the win against Slovakia on paper. Poland look in serious trouble now as Spain have to keep going until the final group game no let up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ireland dropped out of the record books tonight.

Spain beat their own pass record that they set against Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

yabadabado wrote: »
    Hungary looked very ordinary vs Ireland last week.

If they couldn’t beat Ireland, surely the smart money is on a Portugal win ???

Crazy prediction time.....

Hungary will not finish bottom of Group F!

One of France, Germany or Portugal (likely Germany IMHO) will implode. One big team generally does it in every tournament, either through infighting, power struggles, player revolts, or something. Its Jogi Loew's läßt few weeks in the job, players sometimes don't play for managers in that circumstance. France have done it before, and already (over egged?) reports of a spat between Giroud and mbappe. Portugal.... Is Ronaldo going to play as part of the team? No longer at the height of his powers.

Might be as far out as a lighthouse, but watch this space.

I would take my own eye out if that happened! Hungary are missing their star flair fella who dragged them to the finals -Dominik Szoboszlai. It will be a miracle if Hungary get a point from any of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Apparently his full name is Alexander Isak Murphy:confused:

Another one that got away? Seems to be de rigeur for the Scandinavian teams this tournament...

Fair play to any of our hobbit looking lot who go out into the world and convince the traditionally attractive looking nations of the world to mate

I would take my own eye out if that happened! Hungary are missing their star flair fella who dragged them to the finals -Dominik Szoboszlai. It will be a miracle if Hungary get a point from any of the games.

Hungary will be the Ireland 2012 of this tournament

So odd not picking the full 26. Even if you've no intention of playing them, why not stick 3 players in there just in case?

Surely having and not needing Ramos is much better than needing and not having.

I was trying to figure out the logic of only taking 23 players. Maybe Enrique wants no 'big names' moping around and sulking if he does not play them?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Hungary will be the Ireland 2012 of this tournament

Considering the group they are that is good comparison. I remember being really annoyed back in 2012. Mainly because I did not realise just how good Croatia were ahead of Ireland. I had codded myself that Ireland would get the win and maybe a point v the other two. Sure the two finalist ended up coming from the group - Spain and Italy

I did a quick prediction thing before this year's tournament filling in the results. And the way I saw the games likely going. A France v Portugal final with France to win.

Which threw me because I tipped Italy before I looked at the draw!

Can't see it myself, but I do reckon who ever finishes 3rd in group F won't qualify for the next round. Can see there being too many draws.

Jayus, that is a great point I did not consider that factor.
    I figured Portugal will end up playing England in the last 16. But if England avoid getting anyone from that group it will make it easier for them. Spain are likely to be after that though.

• Advertisement

Jayus, that is a great point I did not consider that factor.
    I figured Portugal will end up playing England in the last 16. But if England avoid getting anyone from that group it will make it easier for them. Spain are likely to be after that though.

The winners of England's group, which will be England barring a total collapse, will play the runners up in Group F (France, Germany or Portugal). England can't avoid that group if they win their own.

Yeah but they only brought 23 to the tournament AFAIK. They're allowed 26

A ridiculous move.

How can telling players that they are so bad you'd rather have vacancies than bring them be considered good management.

In Euro 96, Venables brought Lampard, Ferdinand and others onto the subs bench even though they were kids and not part of the squad. Because he was thinking of the future.

A ridiculous move.

How can telling players that they are so bad you'd rather have vacancies than bring them be considered good management.

In Euro 96, Venables brought Lampard, Ferdinand and others onto the subs bench even though they were kids and not part of the squad. Because he was thinking of the future.

Didn't they train with the squad as Venables wanted numbers for training with plenty of players needing treatment etc ?

I remember BBC showing a clip of the two lads sitting behind the subs bench at one of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

omega man wrote: »
    Did some people expect Sweden to have a right go? First match, in Spain and in hot conditions. Going out in style losing 4-0 isn’t admirable. Everyone expects goals nowadays but every so often some backs to wall defending is great to see.

Defending is "anti-football" these days, possession is the only thing that matters to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

pjohnson wrote: »
    Defending is "anti-football" these days, possession is the only thing that matters to some.

It's not defending that's the issue.

It's the fact that even before the game, Sweden had decided they had no intention of trying to win the game. In fact it looks like they had no intention of actually attacking. Surprised they played a forward at all.

It's a pity we couldn't have boxing type rules, where the points went to the team that actually tried to win the game!

NIMAN wrote: »

It's the fact that even before the game, Sweden had decided they had no intention of trying to win the game. In fact it looks like they had no intention of actually attacking. Surprised they played a forward at all.

It's a pity we couldn't have boxing type rules, where the points went to the team that actually tried to win the game!

Yep. Naturally UEFA needs to forget about goals and just focus on possession to decide games.

Sweden actually hit the post, closer than any of the "trying to win" Spain managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Maybe this is the type of "market" that Agnelli and his likes are so desperately trying to tap into.

I bet you are a big Jonathan Wilson fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spain were toothless and fully to blame for not winning. While you can admire the Swedish doggedness and discipline one really would hope they don't go to far as they look like a team that would just set up to play for penalties in the knockout phase. Echoes of that dreadful Greek win in 2004!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

omega man wrote: »
    Did some people expect Sweden to have a right go? First match, in Spain and in hot conditions. Going out in style losing 4-0 isn’t admirable. Everyone expects goals nowadays but every so often some backs to wall defending is great to see.

Exactly, manager playing to his strengths!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Do Hungry have any chance ?

Do Hungry have any chance ?
    Probably not if the more fancied teams start playing properly.

NIMAN wrote:
    They obviously decided to defend and try counter. They nearly scored twice on the counter. So they're plan was defend and counter when the opportunity arose. They felt that was their best chance to win and it nearly worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

eagle eye wrote: »
    They obviously decided to defend and try counter. They nearly scored twice on the counter. So they're plan was defend and counter when the opportunity arose. They felt that was their best chance to win and it nearly worked.

It worked to exactly the same level of success as Spain. But Spain apparently play the beautiful game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not sure what the issue is with Sweden’s tactics last night, had they taken Spain on and gone for it they probably would have lost by 3 or 4 goals, as it is they have put themselves in a good position to qualify.

For all their “negative” play they had the best chance of the match and hit the post, had one of them gone in it would have been the perfect performance from a Swedish perspective.

It worked to exactly the same level of success as Spain. But Spain apparently play the beautiful game
    It is nicer to watch but that's no use unless you can show a dividend from it. Sweden's few attempts were swift and direct and suggested they were armed with a superior, if pretty ugly, approach.

The Henderson name is cursed!:pac:

What's the point of having squads if you can call people up mid tournament.

Or is it just a goalkeeper thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Can't see it myself, but I do reckon who ever finishes 3rd in group F won't qualify for the next round. Can see there being too many draws.

A win and a draw will be enough to qualify I would have thought. The danger will be if one of the bigger sides in Group F doesn't beat Hungary. And then the old adage applies - if they're not good enough to beat x (in this case Hungary) they don't deserve to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

What's the point of having squads if you can call people up mid tournament.

Or is it just a goalkeeper thing ?
    Should a goalkeeper suffer an injury or illness after his team's first match of the tournament, he may still be replaced, even if the other goalkeepers from the squad are still available.

Only for keepers.

The picture we wanted to see.

Well if each of the big teams beat Hungary and then draw with each other, they would all go through. Could see it happening.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion that Germany might have a terrible tournament.

We'll have a good idea after tonight either way.

So hungry match is first full crowd and will be full of right wing nutters… should be a good atmosphere or maybe too much pressure on Hungry ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I wonder will the dictator be in attendance in Budapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

adaminho wrote: »

Its a shocking sign of the standard of English goalkeepers when they have to call up a dreadful keeper like Ramsdale.

The guy is an absolute liability.

Its a shocking sign of the standard of English goalkeepers when they have to call up a dreadful keeper like Ramsdale.

Popes injury hasnt helped. Butland left Stoke and is behind Guaita. Heaton and Hart didnt play last year. The 3 promoted clubs all start non English keepers. (Foster may displace Bachmann to be Watford #1 but is retired from England and currently injured so not an option)

Maybe Woodman from Swansea/Newcastle or Darlow from Newcastle but Ramsdale just kinda got it by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well if each of the big teams beat Hungary and then draw with each other, they would all go through. Could see it happening.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion that Germany might have a terrible tournament.

We'll have a good idea after tonight either way.
    I am hoping France win that match. Go France.

Good hopefully he let's a few goals in and Scotland wins that game.

I am also hoping the that Finland beat Russia.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

If the allegations about Arnautovic are true, he should be sent home and given a lengthy suspension.

What a clown. Alaba's reaction suggests it was inappropriate.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/7140834/marko-arnautovic-austria-north-macedonia-celebration-euro-2020/

If the allegations about Arnautovic are true, he should be sent home and given a lengthy suspension.
    So in the heat of the moment you must remain calm and mannerly at all times?
    Should a guy who goes into a challenge with intent to injure be sent home as well?
    Or is it just words that concern you?

If he did something like that when not on the pitch I'd be all for serious repercussions but not for something that happens during a game when a lot of players are completely wound up finding any way possible to get an edge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement