Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

For those complaining about Ronnie "He should've" Whelan, you're missing Ally McCoist on ITV. Haven't seen much attacking play from either side apparently. Sure France only scored one, hit the post and had 2 goals ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭skinny90

siblers wrote: »
    Some amount of foul throws. Linesmen or refs never call them on it

I only picked up on this at the end, there was a load!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ronnie cribbing there again at the end. He's utterly and predictably negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

If Germany had a centre forward theyd be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

germany so wasteful from their set pieces in that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Poor Volland over hitting everything

He was very poor for the short amount of time he was on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Pogma had a great game.

More to come from France, but think Germany will beat Hungary and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Varane was brilliant, France winning without any of the front three having a great game so they will be happy enough .

Germany will give anyone a game in this tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think Germany could have been there another cupla hours and not scored. France were very solid and Germany were largely toothless. Germany really missing a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Pogma had a great game.

More to come from France, but think Germany will beat Hungary and Portugal.

Pogba played well also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He was very poor for the short amount of time he was on

Genuinely thought he looked like a junior player.

namloc1980 wrote: »

He’s a joke . When Czech Republic scored that screamer against Scotland and everyone was calling it goal of the tournament so far , the first words out of his mouth were blaming a Scottish player for shooting from outside the box

He’s a miserable ****er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Volland and Sané were brutal when they came on. Having subs flop like that is very demoralizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not impressed by France

What was he watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My team of the first round of games:

GK: Hradecky

RB: Lainer
    CB: Varane
    CB: Chiellini
    LB: Hernandez

CM: Pogba
    CM: Phillips
    CM: Pedri

ST: Lukaku
    ST: Schick
    ST: Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Hummels caught both of Mbappe's legs first :)

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not impressed by France

What was he watching?

Exactly, they just beat Germany in Germany.

Impressive anytime , especially in a major tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Germany just don't have it up top and also looked susceptible to the counter all night. I think Portugal beat them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hard to call a winner going from Round 1

France, Belgium, England and Italy were quite impressive. Portugal took there time but can be great when they hit the ground running

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

tastyt wrote: »
    Varane was brilliant, France winning without any of the front three having a great game so they will be happy enough .

Germany will give anyone a game in this tournament

Yeah Varane MOTM or me. Was excellent.
    French midfield disappeared second half. Couldnt get control of the ball and kept losing it when they did. Germany played well but no cutting edge - Harvetz awful and no subs to make a difference. France just kept them at arms length and just relied on hitting mbappe long.

• Advertisement

Good team , I’d have Wijnaldum or de jong instead of Pedri, maybe Dumfries or Coufal right full

If Low shows some humility, there's life in Germany yet.

abV3qoramV.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Looking at that ,you would think France have more to come.A lot of stuff was just a bit off, passing wasn't that crisp, misplaced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

If Low shows some humility, there's life in Germany yet.

abV3qoramV.png

Klostermann at right back, no thanks. Goretzka will replace Gundogan when he's back too which will keep Kimmich at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

tastyt wrote:
    Good team , I’d have Wijnaldum or de jong instead of Pedri, maybe Dumfries or Coufal right full

Agree with that and Guerreiro at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Germany and Spain shocking poor last 2 nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not a bad shout. Ide probably not have Pedri but I can't think of who I would have instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

https://twitter.com/gu...726298237411331?s=20

Ronnie goes up in my estimation exponentially for this stunt: brilliant!

Don't know what his record with sponsors is, but the amount of sugar water, alcohol, fast food and gambling endorsed by sport and soccer in general is shameful IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

https://twitter.com/gu...726298237411331?s=20

Ronnie goes up in my estimation exponentially for this stunt: brilliant!

Don't know what his record with sponsors is, but the amount of sugar water, alcohol, fast food and gambling endorsed by sport and soccer in general is shameful IMHO.

Which contribute either directly or indirectly towards the huge sums of money he has garnered from the game.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    He looks to have had a sponsorship with Coke circa 2006 World Cup.

And I was off my head on yokes for most of the 2006 World Cup. Hope I'm not still judged for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I must say Ronnie Whelan was an absolute pain to listen to tonight

Nothing but non-stop whinging and negativity

Seriously who the hell wants to listen to that rubbish?

The punditry and commentary has been woeful so far but Ronnie was the cherry on the cake of ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah, not remotely the same though, is it?

My point is, he was fine promoting Coke over the years when it was good for his image and he was getting a truck full of cash for it.

Is it not a bit hypocritical of him to pull this kind of stunt today?

Especially when he's currently acting as a brand ambassador for a major fast food restaurant in KFC!

It'd be like yourself suddenly being an anti drug advocate despite your past and present use.

He did that kfc add in 2013 though Google tells me. 8 years ago apprantly. Totally open for correction though but if true being a dad changes a lot of outlook on stuff.

Its a simple move of two coke bottles which has brought up some needless debate but he disproves of it now because he's had a son in the meantime thats growing and apprantly loves the stuff, but as a dad and a high profile player as he is, he probably didn't want to be associated with it for him.

Fair play to him

Edit* its an argument for arguments sake to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I must say Ronnie Whelan was an absolute pain to listen to tonight

Nothing but non-stop whinging and negativity

Seriously who the hell wants to listen to that rubbish?

The punditry and commentary has been woeful so far but Ronnie was the cherry on the cake of ****e

I wish VM had the rights to this tournament. They're streets ahead when it comes to commentary/analysis.

Someone mentioned that Hamann and Sadlier are RTE's A team but I didn't think they provided any meaningful insight into last nights game. Having watched games on RTE for the past month or so, the only person who actually did their homework and didn't wheel out the usual nonsense/cliches was Lisa Fallon. But I don't think she's working on any of the Euro games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Who fancies the Italians today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Who fancies the Italians today ?

Should win, I would put them among France and Portugal as the ones to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Russia v Finland will be interesting

Russia were awful the first day and Finland have made perfect start.

Turkey will feel like its a home game for them with 30,000 in stadium rooting for them. Dont see them being as poor today.

I expect Swiss to put up a decent show tonight but just to fall short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Turkey will feel like its a home game for them with 30,000 in stadium rooting for them. Dont see them being as poor today.

I expect Swiss to put up a decent show tonight but just to fall short

Swiss didn’t look great against the Welsh…. Italy looked great… I think it could be over before halftime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Big rivalry on the Finnish side as well, the general feeling Finns have towards Russia is similar to that of ourselves towards the English.

Finland may not have played the prettiest football the other day but they were organised whereas what I saw of Russia the other day was shambolic. Big chance for Finland to get a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Swiss didn’t look great against the Welsh…. Italy looked great… I think it could be over before halftime
    The Swiss looked the better side but Wales, like Sweden and Hungary, were set up a certain way and stifled them. I think playing against a more open side could benefit the Swiss.

That said, I didn't see Italy play the other day so I have no idea how they set themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

sterz wrote: »
    I wish VM had the rights to this tournament. They're streets ahead when it comes to commentary/analysis.

Someone mentioned that Hamann and Sadlier are RTE's A team but I didn't think they provided any meaningful insight into last nights game. Having watched games on RTE for the past month or so, the only person who actually did their homework and didn't wheel out the usual nonsense/cliches was Lisa Fallon. But I don't think she's working on any of the Euro games?

I am happy for it to be on RTE.

I think they could have a better set of analysts and co-comms but unfortunately they are at a point where they are refusing to/unable to move on the old guard - Brady, Whelan, Houghton - while also trying to bed in a good few newcomers.

Brady has become a real disappointment. Seems to just phone it in with very little research done. A shame really as he didn't used to offer some really good insight over the years.

The commentary on the Schick goal against Scotland the other day was funny. Whelan immediately started criticizing the defender for trying a shot, and then it was if a producer had a word in his ear and he very suddenly switched to focusing on the positivity of the goal. His default is to immediately be negative rather than praise good/positive play and that goal was the ultimate example of it. I'd put him out to pasture at this stage.

I've enjoyed Duff, Hamann, Sadlier, Doyle in what I've seen of them. Stephanie Roche's voice is tough to listen to but if you can get beyond that she makes some decent points.

The female commentator on the Austria game at the weekend was really poor to listen to - I hope she isn't doing more games during the tournament.

Peter Collins presenting football is just wrong. He clearly doesn't like the sport and it shows when he's trying to ask the analysts about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I am happy for it to be on RTE.

I think they could have a better set of analysts and co-comms but unfortunately they are at a point where they are refusing to/unable to move on the old guard - Brady, Whelan, Houghton - while also trying to bed in a good few newcomers.

Brady has become a real disappointment. Seems to just phone it in with very little research done. A shame really as he didn't used to offer some really good insight over the years.

The commentary on the Schick goal against Scotland the other day was funny. Whelan immediately started criticizing the defender for trying a shot, and then it was if a producer had a word in his ear and he very suddenly switched to focusing on the positivity of the goal. His default is to immediately be negative rather than praise good/positive play and that goal was the ultimate example of it. I'd put him out to pasture at this stage.

I've enjoyed Duff, Hamann, Sadlier, Doyle in what I've seen of them. Stephanie Roche's voice is tough to listen to but if you can get beyond that she makes some decent points.

The female commentator on the Austria game at the weekend was really poor to listen to - I hope she isn't doing more games during the tournament.

Peter Collins presenting football is just wrong. He clearly doesn't like the sport and it shows when he's trying to ask the analysts about it.

I'd agree with almost all of this except for your assumption that Collins doesn't like football. He definitely does!
    He played a hell of alot of junior football back in the 80's with Westport United and was an integral part of their 1987 Connaught Junior Cup winning team.
    I don't know the guy personally but he definitely likes football!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

W123-80's wrote: »
    I'd agree with almost all of this except for your assumption that Collins doesn't like football. He definitely does!
    He played a hell of alot of junior football back in the 80's with Westport United and was an integral part of their 1987 Connaught Junior Cup winning team.
    I don't know the guy personally but he definitely likes football!!

Really!? I'm am absolutely amazed by that. Maybe he's the same on other sports he presents on so? I wouldn't watch so can't comment one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Really!? I'm am absolutely amazed by that. Maybe he's the same on other sports he presents on so? I wouldn't watch so can't comment one way or the other.

Yip! A decent player in his day. I'm sure if there are any Westport United clubmen on here they will back me up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Very little, if any restrictions in Hungary.

One person in every 300 has died from Covid19 in Hungary. The second highest rate after Peru.
    Still their tool of a PM allows full stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Acosta

He's a big motorsport fan but wasn't good at presenting or commentating on that either.

He gives me a laugh whenever he says Didi though. Or D'di.

Not too impressed with Rte. Watched a fair bit of the coverage on ITV. The BBC have been the worst. It's basically BT Sport lite. Utter ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Should win, I would put them among France and Portugal as the ones to beat.

Don’t forget about Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

$4B knocked of Cokes market value after Ronnie's bit yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

One person in every 300 has died from Covid19 in Hungary. The second highest rate after Peru.
    Still their tool of a PM allows full stadiums.

He's also spent a huge amount on building new stadiums, while the nation's hospitals crumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Greenpeace guy lucky not to kill himself or others the close up of him getting caught in the spidercam wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Rte camera crew having a shocker there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement