Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Newaglish wrote: »
    What's the best strategy for evolving the familiars? Should I evolve them as soon as possible or is there a benefit to getting them to the level cap of each form first and then evolving them?
    I've seen people recommend to get them to the level cap. I didn't do that, what I did was get them to the point where they learn the last skill and then use metamorphosis. I'm not saying it's the best, but in my estimation, that would be the least you'd want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've seen people recommend to get them to the level cap. I didn't do that, what I did was get them to the point where they learn the last skill and then use metamorphosis. I'm not saying it's the best, but in my estimation, that would be the least you'd want to do.

Yeah that is the best way to do it, your familiars will get less points in their first phase the further they level up, its better to get the tricks then level and repeat, when you get to the third phase they will get more stats the higher you level unlike the previous levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

What are some of the largest familiars? I'm around 20+ hours in and they all seem to be pretty small. Are any around the size of some of the bosses, for example the size of the Gladiataur?

Notorioux wrote: »
    What are some of the largest familiars? I'm around 20+ hours in and they all seem to be pretty small. Are any around the size of some of the bosses, for example the size of the Gladiataur?

Nope, the biggest would be Tin-Man or Popa Sasquatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is there a trick to catching the familiars or do i just have to keep fighting them and hope the hearts appear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

ShaneU wrote: »
    Is there a trick to catching the familiars or do i just have to keep fighting them and hope the hearts appear?

One of the things you can exchange merit stamp cards for is an increased chance to catch familiars.

ShaneU wrote: »

It's all random, and the percentage chance you have goes down further with how rare the familiar is.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

can't seem to find this game anywhere, typical when I have the money it's sold out everywhere :(

Xyo wrote: »
    can't seem to find this game anywhere, typical when I have the money it's sold out everywhere :(
    Apparently, Gamesnash are expecting to get it back in stock.
    http://gamesnash.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_28&products_id=2609

Amazon.co.uk say it'll be available Feb 19th.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Namco-Bandai-Ni-Kuni-PS3/dp/B008LTGEGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360772046&sr=8-1

I just did
    the tank boss battle, underneath the palace in Hamlin. Was a right pain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

About 2 hours in so far, just in the first town doing a few sidequests. Jaysus it's great to be playing a game of this style again. Loving it so far.

Finally got the travel spell, so much easier now.

How are the DLC familiars? I have them set up through the site to download, but because I can't get my PS3 online I haven't had the chance to actually download them to see what they are like. Did they take up a regular roster ye used? Did ye get them? Were they crap?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    How are the DLC familiars? I have them set up through the site to download, but because I can't get my PS3 online I haven't had the chance to actually download them to see what they are like. Did they take up a regular roster ye used? Did ye get them? Were they crap?

Both are far to slow, the Hurly can be one of the top 10 strongest familiars attack wise, the Draggle is fairly useless, stopped using him about half way through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I don't know lads, I was loving this game for the first while but now I'm finding it a bit hard going. I've always loved JRPGs and Ghibli have done a masterful job with the art but the battle system is not the best. You don't really need to get into the planet signs and weaknesses to win battles and it could really have done with a Dragon Age style tactics screen. The way it is your options are limited and you spend a lot of time running around avoiding attacks.

This review kind of sums it up how I feel about it. Out on my own here?

Not at all actually. The pokemon comparison is certainly apt, but it just doesn't feel as good as pokemon does. I stopped playing this for like, a week? And I came back to it a few days ago, and it just feels like a slog, can't be bothered with it at all right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I ended up taking a break of longer because I didn't have any time to put into it, but back into it and now and still loving it. I was just at
    the Fairyground
    the other day which is one of the most beautifully presented settings I've ever come across in a game. The combat system isn't without its flaws - I hate the way by default your allies basically waste all their MP within a battle or two - but at the same time I'm finding it consistently involving and demanding in its own way. It comes into its own during boss battles when you're maybe down a character and have to tensely balance attack, defense and healing. It's not the greatest JRPG battle system of all time, but it works extremely well at times.

I ended up taking a break of longer because I didn't have any time to put into it, but back into it and now and still loving it. I was just at
    the Fairyground
    the other day which is one of the most beautifully presented settings I've ever come across in a game. The combat system isn't without its flaws - I hate the way by default your allies basically waste all their MP within a battle or two - but at the same time I'm finding it consistently involving and demanding in its own way. It comes into its own during boss battles when you're maybe down a character and have to tensely balance attack, defense and healing. It's not the greatest JRPG battle system of all time, but it works extremely well at times.

Yeah, it's annoying that your options for controlling the other party members are so limited. I like the boss battles alright but on the world map I tend to avoid rather than engage because I don't really enjoy the normal battles. I'll keep going until I get to the place you mentioned anyway :)

I'm
    looking for the pirate ship
    and I just can't be bothered at all. It just doesn't have the same flow a pokemon game does. I have no attachment to my familiars, I'm finding I can just brute force my way through every fight(although I have done every errand, bounty hunt, and a fair bit of grinding)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I just finished it up last week (got Platinum). The game itself was fun - as long as you kept your levels decently high it was all fairly easy.
    There was a fair bit of grinding for materials post-game for some of the trophies which took a bit of the sheen off the game for me. Anyone wanting to get the "alchemy" trophy be prepared to put many boring hours into the game.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm
    looking for the pirate ship
    and I just can't be bothered at all. It just doesn't have the same flow a pokemon game does. I have no attachment to my familiars, I'm finding I can just brute force my way through every fight(although I have done every errand, bounty hunt, and a fair bit of grinding)

Yeah, I did everything at first too but I think I'll just stick to the main quest now and any bounty hunts I run into. I don't like how you have to level up the familiars either. I get a cool new one and then think, ah, couldn't be bothered levelling him up because I want to level the one I'm using up more so I can learn new tricks and morph him. If it's supposed to be a strategy layer it fails for me. At least they could have made it so that your reserve familiars level with your party.
    fjon wrote: »
    I just finished it up last week (got Platinum). The game itself was fun - as long as you kept your levels decently high it was all fairly easy.
    There was a fair bit of grinding for materials post-game for some of the trophies which took a bit of the sheen off the game for me. Anyone wanting to get the "alchemy" trophy be prepared to put many boring hours into the game.

That's why I never go for Platinums. That's time I could be playing a new game. Tried it once on AC2. Most trophies were fun but the last one was "collect all the feathers". For me that's work, not fun.

A brilliant YouTuber who has done a brilliant review of Farcry 3 (check that out too if so inclined) just did one on Ni No Kuni. NSFW, both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Just finished the main quest today after 52 hours. Best game I've played since Final Fantasy X.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Im about 20 hours in

Just got beaten by
    Shadar

The characters in the game bar Drippy seem really meh so far in terms of personality.

And in battle? I mean every boss fight I have had since Esther showed up, I have had to admit defeat and just let her die (seems useless and the phoenix downs are 500g each!) and just take the boss on my own.

The familars so far seem pretty crap, I have metamorphed a few but there seems to be almost no incentive to not just have Mitey attack again and again and ignore the rest who seem to die uber fast.

Sticking with it but the battle system seems a bit flawed (having the other characters maintain a decent contribution in battle for example seems to be an absolute chore) and the story.characters are a little sugary even for my open minded tastes!

I still haven't finished this, oops :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

noodler wrote: »
    Im about 20 hours in

Just got beaten by
    Shadar

The characters in the game bar Drippy seem really meh so far in terms of personality.

And in battle? I mean every boss fight I have had since Esther showed up, I have had to admit defeat and just let her die (seems useless and the phoenix downs are 500g each!) and just take the boss on my own.

The familars so far seem pretty crap, I have metamorphed a few but there seems to be almost no incentive to not just have Mitey attack again and again and ignore the rest who seem to die uber fast.

Sticking with it but the battle system seems a bit flawed (having the other characters maintain a decent contribution in battle for example seems to be an absolute chore) and the story.characters are a little sugary even for my open minded tastes!

Set esther up to heal and see should her alive a bit longer. Also the familar once upgraded are useless until there levels go up.
    Look up a guide for familar and the order to out them in for a boost in fights

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cloud493 wrote: »
    I still haven't finished this, oops :p

Hahaha neither have I :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I dropped this for Bioshock Infinite, then The Last of Us, sure I'll get back into it sooner or later! The special edition is just mocking me on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

€17.99 on PSN so finally picked this up. Did you people have the Japanese or English voices on in this? I went with the English but the dialogue seems a bit off.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    €17.99 on PSN so finally picked this up. Did you people have the Japanese or English voices on in this? I went with the English but the dialogue seems a bit off.

The Japanese, the English one was far to cutesy and Drippy will get on your nerves very quickly

Advertisement