Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Xenji wrote: »
    The Japanese, the English one was far to cutesy and Drippy will get on your nerves very quickly

Played this for about 30 minutes, already annoying. Who decided a "lord fairy lord" should sound like he's straight out of a cumbrian mine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It isn't great in fairness. Couldn't bring myself to play much. It's crushingly mediocre. Such hype over such a poor game while more deserving games went unnoticed.

Saviour of jrpgs my arse, it's nearly everything that people find wrong with the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I'm downloading it now, so many conflicting reports here. Now I know to expect to love it at the start and then get sick of it after 10 hours :D

I'll report back in a few days ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I'm downloading it now, so many conflicting reports here. Now I know to expect to love it at the start and then get sick of it after 10 hours :D

Was thinking about buying it but I've back log clear at mo

• Advertisement

Bought it a few months back when it was cheap and after downloading it I've yet to start it. Really must make the time over the coming weeks to get into it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is the type of game were you either hate it or enjoy it, not much middle ground really, you should know what camp your in after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I enjoyed it a lot, battle system took a long time to get used to and the fact capturing creatures was down to luck instead of something like Pokemons damage/status system annoyed me. Also I would have preferred having only Oliver battle with familiars and his spells doing no damage just buffs, that would have been interesting, instead you end up controlling too much at once and Olivers damage dealing spells mean hes almost always on the field.

The ending
    felt a little tacked on, I found out after completing the game it originally ended at Shadar and it felt that way.
    Also some parts bordered on sickly sweet but there were enough great moments to make up for them.

That read more negative that I wanted, I enjoyed the silly amount of hours I put into the game and its rare for a game to hold my attention that long.

Oh and Drippy was a fantastic character, his overall welshness made the game for me :D proper tidy like.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Xenji wrote: »
    It is the type of game were you either hate it or enjoy it, not much middle ground really, you should know what camp your in after a few hours.

I bought it in the Winter sale for cheap and have had it sitting there since. Will dive in soon but I also have Okami HD downloaded (played about an hour only) and should probably finish one long game before starting another.

I really enjoyed this game! Didnt play an RPG in years and really want to play another now.

Cant wait for some good ones on the PS4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

jenno86 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this game! Didnt play an RPG in years and really want to play another now.

Cant wait for some good ones on the PS4!

Try Tales of Xillia next.

danthefan wrote: »
    Try Tales of Xillia next.

Don't have the PS3 anymore! Sold it shortly after I finished Kuni!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have a DS, 3DS, PSP or PS Vita then there's loads of RPGs out there on those systems that are way better than Ni No Kuni which I found really poor. If you have any of them we can give you recommendations.

Right so, I'm as far as the part where you get the ship. The story isn't growing on me at all, I must confess I enjoy drippy's Welshness, the artwork is nice as is the soundtrack. However that's about where the positives end for me. The story isn't all that gripping, and is overly childish imo, I appreciate the protagonist is a child, and at least there has been a slight character development in this regard, Oliver isn't quite as annoying as he was in the beginning..

The dialogue is just dire, really, they spell absolutely everything out and after an hour or two the conversation got very tedious..

The fights are alright, and there is a lot of side quests going on. So as a 15 euro game goes, you'll get your moneys worth, but I'm finding it hard to will myself to continue playing. Does it get better??

Right so, I'm as far as the part where you get the ship. The story isn't growing on me at all, I must confess I enjoy drippy's Welshness, the artwork is nice as is the soundtrack. However that's about where the positives end for me. The story isn't all that gripping, and is overly childish imo, I appreciate the protagonist is a child, and at least there has been a slight character development in this regard, Oliver isn't quite as annoying as he was in the beginning..

The dialogue is just dire, really, they spell absolutely everything out and after an hour or two the conversation got very tedious..

The fights are alright, and there is a lot of side quests going on. So as a 15 euro game goes, you'll get your moneys worth, but I'm finding it hard to will myself to continue playing. Does it get better??

Nope, if you do not like it by now it is not gonna get any better for you, the game is too long for its own good as well, it turned into a chore to finish in the end for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I guess I'm just easily amused/entertained maybe? I checked back through some of my posts on this thread and while I was playing early on I was a fan of the combat, but at some point while playing, that became the weak point of it, but aside from that I enjoyed the game a lot. And even though I came to be unimpressed with the combat, it wasn't like it was objectionably bad... just I came to find it kinda dull. Though whereas with lots of other games I'd be eager to go back and replay, I haven't really had the motivation to replay this so that might be telling in itself.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I guess I'm just easily amused/entertained maybe? I checked back through some of my posts on this thread and while I was playing early on I was a fan of the combat, but at some point while playing, that became the weak point of it, but aside from that I enjoyed the game a lot. And even though I came to be unimpressed with the combat, it wasn't like it was objectionably bad... just I came to find it kinda dull. Though whereas with lots of other games I'd be eager to go back and replay, I haven't really had the motivation to replay this so that might be telling in itself.

Sums up mostly how I feel about the game as well.

Yep game doesn't get any better. The only thing it has going for it are the graphics and music. The combat is really dull and battles take far too long and the story is the typical drivel from level 5's Hino whenever he writes the story.

Haven't picked it up since, feel no guilt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

I finished it today. Is there much to do after completion? Does anything open up or is it just side quest after side quest?

Spoilers alert!!!!

I thought it was very ghibli-esque the way that every single bad character got redeemed.

The theory that the whole alternate universe was a coping mechanism by Oliver to deal with the loss of his mother makes a lot of sense to me on completion. http://www.newgamernation.com/was-ni-no-kuni-all-in-olivers-head-a-cynical-theory/
    That article details the idea.

Overall enjoyed the atmosphere and style of the game. Mr Drippy was the best mun! The gameplay was lacking for me but I never play JRPGs so it was all new.

Also! ALL HAIL DINOCEROUS! My guy just made me fly through the second half of the game! Him and fighting tokotokos!!!! Level 74 at the end and I felt it was just a bit too simple! Oh well :)

• Advertisement

Finally started this and put 6 hours in over the past day. Visually it's without equal and is easily the best looking game of the past generation. It's a simple but well defined world that has a real old school look and feel. The simplicity of the animation is what sets it apart from the pack, by embracing the cartoon style of Ghibli we are present with a unique and familiar world that you can't buy want to explore

Gameplay is a little less successful and I can understand why some found the game to be a chore. There's little variety thus far and like all RPG titles gameplay involves a lot of got from point A to B and along the way fight some creatures. Yet unlike most recent RPGs I'm not dreading my time on the world map. There's a freedom that's almost unparalleled and I want to explore all of what's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Haven't picked it up since, feel no guilt.

im the exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So I took a dive and got the Remastered Version on PS4 (on sale 29:99) so far im having fun but theirs a steep difficulty spike im having issues with so right now im doing side quests, wish you got XP for those but its still a fun game even if im not the biggest fan of turn based RPGs.

Prepare to lose interest fast. It's one of the most boring and uninspired RPGs in a long time. A D tier JRPG.

Looks and sounds gorgeous but it's fur coat no knickers.

It starts to grate when you realise every town you get to you have to see the king, but oh no, you can't until you do a dumb fetch quest and when you see him the game doesn't improve.

Every Single Time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    it's fur coat no knickers.

Is that meant to be a bad thing??? Who's wearing the coat exactly? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

nix wrote: »
    Is that meant to be a bad thing??? Who's wearing the coat exactly? :pac:

Exactly what I was thinking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Prepare to lose interest fast. It's one of the most boring and uninspired RPGs in a long time. A D tier JRPG.

Looks and sounds gorgeous but it's fur coat no knickers.

It starts to grate when you realise every town you get to you have to see the king, but oh no, you can't until you do a dumb fetch quest and when you see him the game doesn't improve.

Every Single Time!

Yeah I got a little bored and bought Devil May Cry 5. Being lashing that out of it all day.

Advertisement