Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What price is the regular edition in shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Went in to gamestop in galway today to pick up ni no kuni and it was sold out.
    There was like a billion pre order boxes everywhere in the shop so it shocked me it was sold out so quick :(.

I underestimated the studio ghibli fan

hopefully they bring it more copies next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

ShaneU wrote: »
    What price is the regular edition in shops?

59.99 in Gamestop.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

blaa85 wrote: »
    59.99 in Gamestop.

I'm not surprised and yet slightly gobsmacked at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Is it likely this game will get reduced in price soon, was mad to pick it up but have no money too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

There isn't a hope of this game getting reduced in price in Gamestop.

Got my name on the last pre-order for Ni No Kuni in Gamestop. Picked it up there earlier. Guy behind the counter told me they got six copies in.

SIX.

And all got pre-ordered.

I asked in the Xtra-Vision next to me, none of their stores got them in. I'm going to pop back into them now and get a psn voucher. I've have freed up 44 gigs on my ps hard drive earlier ,even though the file is 22gb, you will need to have another 22 free while it installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The game is great.
    It's meowjestic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous - perhaps the best presented game of this generation based on the first few hours. That was pretty much a given of course, but give me the majesty of this over any number of bland as Cryengine 3 games any day :)

Definitely a 'considered' beginning, but the story is well told although there's a definite drip-feed of mechanics and gameplay so far. Still, the first saunter around the world-map offers more freedom than Final Fantasy 13 did in twenty-five hours :P

But yeah - this is an RPG of the old school. I can't begrudge innovation (especially when it comes to imaginative stuff like Persona), but it's nice to finally play a gorgeous HD take on the gameplay mechanics we all grew up with. With Dragon Quest disappeared down its MMORPG path for two games now, and Final Fantasy long since soured, perhaps Ni No Kuni is the nostalgic successor we've all been waiting for.

Arrrrgh. My Xtravision doesn't have any psn cards left. I would have used cc but I was looking to trade in Blops 2 to save a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

blaa85 wrote: »
    Arrrrgh. My Xtravision doesn't have any psn cards left. I would have used cc but I was looking to trade in Blops 2 to save a few bob.

I would say trade it into Smyths for a bit more trade-in value than Gamestop, but I can't remember if Smyths are still doing the cards.

But yeah - this is an RPG of the old school. I can't begrudge innovation (especially when it comes to imaginative stuff like Persona), but it's nice to finally play a gorgeous HD take on the gameplay mechanics we all grew up with.
    Have you not played Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Graces F? (Others please add as applies)

There have been great JRPGs this gen. It isn't up to the quality of the above, but Infinite Undiscovery was a game I'd quite a lot of fun with. Blue Dragon wasn't quite to my tastes, but it has quite a following.

edit: 1up did a piece on something like my previous post: http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/02/no-1up-ni-no-kuni-is-saviour-of-jrpg.html (Worth reading)
    Digitally downloaded did a response article to it, disagreeing. http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/02/no-1up-ni-no-kuni-is-saviour-of-jrpg.html

Though, of course, the response isn't really articulating anything against the 1up article that I can see. 1up, as I see it, are responding to the "Oh this game brings back the nostalgia" when really, the nostalgia has been with us all along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only played Eternal Sonata out of the above, which looked and sounded amazing too but wasn't always as memorable when playing (although the combat system sometimes was really interesting).

I'm only a little into this so far, but it definitely seems the closest I've played to recapturing the essence of the classic SNES and PS1 eras. We'll see if it stands the test of depth, though. An RPG is made or broken over much longer than two hours play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just spent the last 10 hours in hospital,got to gamestop at 19:59 just as the feckers were closing the door,hope no one breaks in and steals my Wizard Edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just spent the last 10 hours in hospital,got to gamestop at 19:59 just as the feckers were closing the door,hope no one breaks in and steals my Wizard Edition.
    Hope your ok, thinking of getting this but my backlog is ridiculous at this stage.
    What is the gameplay and difficulty curve like?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 discodowney

Ive only had one or two tough fights. Im bout 8 hours in. But its really good. The boss fights require more than just all out attack once you get your first party member. Teh game is still opening up even this far into it. Love a game with a world map again. Doesnt feel like a jrpg to me without one. Loving the game so far

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Just some advice, this guy:
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/114/G011461/20120112059/TN/015.jpg

Is the best imajinn in the game. (He was DLC for me, dunno about the English verison). He's super strong in defense and has solid attack too. If you go light side with him he has a nice heal and strong attack too. On most of the boss fights I just let the other two characters die and used him. Don't miss out on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love it! Sooo pretty. The cut scenes are great, just like a ghibli film. I really like the battles too, really interactive compared to some RPGs I have played.
    It's a lot of fun!

I've started the psn download. Looking forward to it, psn is being good today, should only take 90 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GTR63 wrote: »
    Hope your ok, thinking of getting this but my backlog is ridiculous at this stage.
    What is the gameplay and difficulty curve like?

Stupid accident on Thursday night, I am off out now to get the Wizard Edition, I too will regret it seeing as I still have the following to play, Far Cry 3, Family Guy, Assassins Creed 3 and Hitman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pushtrak wrote: »
    edit: 1up did a piece on something like my previous post: http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/02/no-1up-ni-no-kuni-is-saviour-of-jrpg.html (Worth reading)
    Digitally downloaded did a response article to it, disagreeing. http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/02/no-1up-ni-no-kuni-is-saviour-of-jrpg.html

Though, of course, the response isn't really articulating anything against the 1up article that I can see. 1up, as I see it, are responding to the "Oh this game brings back the nostalgia" when really, the nostalgia has been with us all along.

Good article from Bob Mackey there makes some good points, the other one, well that's just terrible. You'd swear the way some journalists go on that FFXIII was the only JRPG released in the last 5 years. I've not played it but Ni No Kuni doesn't sound like it's all that innovative, not that that is a bad thing. However you only have to look at the Handhelds and Wii to see that we've been getting a slew of great RPGs these last few years with some very innovative and modern systems like Xenoblade, Persona 4 and Etrian Odyssey. NI No Kuni definitely isn't the saviour of the genre, it's just one of the few released on a HD console. Most people are hoping it will lead to more JRPGs on HD systems but the fact of the matter is that these games need to sell in japan first which means the vast majority will be on handhelds for the foreseeable future.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good article from Bob Mackey there makes some good points, the other one, well that's just terrible. You'd swear the way some journalists go on that FFXIII was the only JRPG released in the last 5 years.
    I haven't played FFXIII because I hear it is a poor representation of the JRPG genre, and I hear the 360 port was a shambles. I only recently got a PS3. If I find myself looking for a game at some point I might pick it up for the PS3 as its one of the rare mutliplat games thats better on PS3.
    I've not played it but Ni No Kuni doesn't sound like it's all that innovative, not that that is a bad thing.
    I'm enjoying the story and battle system a lot. There is a good sprinkling of humour mixed in. It's a very creative piece of work, and I'd recommend it to any JRPG lover. I will, on the other hand, take issue with people who think as you post here that JRPGs haven't been in action lately. They have. And I've been loving it.
    Most people are hoping it will lead to more JRPGs on HD systems but the fact of the matter is that these games need to sell in japan first which means the vast majority will be on handhelds for the foreseeable future.
    I think with the progression of titles going digital it could work to benefit the next gen. Yes, granted the work will have to be done with doing trannslations, but putting up games on PSN and Xbox Live next gen equivalents would be a very sensible approach.

It would certainly beat the system of them releasing limited quantities here, they be bought by scalpers and sold on for multiple times their RRP. Only issue with this system is not knowing how well the games sell, only the publishers/developers would know that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't played FFXIII because I hear it is a poor representation of the JRPG genre, and I hear the 360 port was a shambles. I only recently got a PS3. If I find myself looking for a game at some point I might pick it up for the PS3 as its one of the rare mutliplat games thats better on PS3.

I thought I'd hate it, ended up enjoying it. It's got a hell of a lot of problems but some of the character arcs are decent and the battle system is one of the best in the series. As long as you don't have multiple hour binge sessions on it it won't grow tiring, I guess the best way to play it is to take your time because it can get boring after playing it after 2 hours. You can pick it up online for less than a tenner now so even if you don't like it it's not like you are losing out much.

I'll pick up Ni No Kuni eventually just this month is a tough one for me Car is ****ed, needs an NCT, 3 birthdays I have to go to and valentines day. Load of arse.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Good article from Bob Mackey there makes some good points, the other one, well that's just terrible. You'd swear the way some journalists go on that FFXIII was the only JRPG released in the last 5 years. I've not played it but Ni No Kuni doesn't sound like it's all that innovative, not that that is a bad thing. However you only have to look at the Handhelds and Wii to see that we've been getting a slew of great RPGs these last few years with some very innovative and modern systems like Xenoblade, Persona 4 and Etrian Odyssey. NI No Kuni definitely isn't the saviour of the genre, it's just one of the few released on a HD console. Most people are hoping it will lead to more JRPGs on HD systems but the fact of the matter is that these games need to sell in japan first which means the vast majority will be on handhelds for the foreseeable future.

But the likes of Etrain Odyssey or Shin Megami Tensei are militantly niche titles by design. I love a dungeon crawler or Disgaea game more than the next guy, and Persona 4 may be my favourite game, but at the same time I do long for another 'proper' Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy title. A game like Squenix used to make (and I must check out the Tales titles, although often hear mixed things about 'em).

What Ni No Kuni is reminiscent of is the days JRPGs were not only great games but genuine events. Top of the range graphics, stunning soundtracks, epic stories and good old ATB style party battle systems ;) When the genre was a best seller in Japan and the West alike, critical and commercial triumphs as opposed to cult handheld titles. Ni No Kuni's impressive sale success here and the States is no doubt what is causing a lot of people to preemptive lot proclaim it the saviour of the JPRG. Obviously the Ghibli connection somewhat shapes the way it's being received overall, though.

Also, Final Fantasy XIII is a crock of ****, point blank. Yes it's battle system is pretty neat and the graphics often breathtaking, but the beyond crippling pace issues, narrative incompetence, irritating characters and all around misjudged design ultimately overwhelm the good. By the time you do get to Pulse it is some challenge to care about anything the game has to offer. It's indicative of everything that went wrong with the big budget RPG over the years and wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all :)

But the likes of Etrain Odyssey or Shin Megami Tensei are militantly niche titles by design. I love a dungeon crawler or Disgaea game more than the next guy, and Persona 4 may be my favourite game, but at the same time I do long for another 'proper' Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy title. A game like Squenix used to make (and I must check out the Tales titles, although often hear mixed things about 'em).
    I'm guessing you only have a PS3. I don't think one with a 360 who is a fan of JRPGs intentionally avoids great games. In the battle between Graces F which is the PS3 exclusive, and Vesperia which is the 360 exclusive, Vesperia is by far the victor. Graces F starts a lot slower, but it does get pretty good. Vesperia is just a great game.

Assuming you don't have a 360, you should try to borrow one off a friend or something if not buy one yourself. Lost Odyssey and Vesperia are two games that are really worth playing. There are other great games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Some of the battles are quite tough,I guess thats remedied by leveling up?

I'm guessing you only have a PS3. I don't think one with a 360 who is a fan of JRPGs intentionally avoids great games. In the battle between Graces F which is the PS3 exclusive, and Vesperia which is the 360 exclusive, Vesperia is by far the victor. Graces F starts a lot slower, but it does get pretty good. Vesperia is just a great game.

Assuming you don't have a 360, you should try to borrow one off a friend or something if not buy one yourself. Lost Odyssey and Vesperia are two games that are really worth playing. There are other great games.

Nope I have a 360. Intentionally avoided is an over strong suggestion. Vesperia passed me by - I was interested at launch, but I guess a very minor retail presence, pretty but overwhelming demo and lack of online chatter just kind of distorted my radar. Lost Odyssey I have had in my hand a few times, but recall it getting a relatively middling reception from a lot of folk.

Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll be sure to pick up a cheap copy of LO next time I'm in CEX or whatever, and will keep eyes peeled for Vesperia.

Nope I have a 360. Intentionally avoided is an over strong suggestion. Vesperia passed me by - I was interested at launch, but I guess a very minor retail presence, pretty but overwhelming demo and lack of online chatter just kind of distorted my radar. Lost Odyssey I have had in my hand a few times, but recall it getting a relatively middling reception from a lot of folk.

Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll be sure to pick up a cheap copy of LO next time I'm in CEX or whatever, and will keep eyes peeled for Vesperia.
    Vesperia might be hard to find a good price for retail. It's on the marketplace for 30 euros I think. Honestly that's a great price for it. One of the rare times the Games on Demand price is justified. If I didn't have the retail version I have, I'd have been willing to pay twice that. And still be paying less than places are probably selling it for 2nd hand.

Edit: Its worth noting that the euros price can be swappeed for Microsoft Points instead.
    Edit 2: Just checked... In points, it is 2560.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Hi lads,

kinda stuck here, I just finished the trials, and heading to the volcano, i have 3 familiars which says is able to metamorphosis, I just got 4 of every metamorphosis stone, however, when i try to feed the sun stone to the sun creature, it shakes its head.

I do this for every other stone and it shakes its head also. This is the same to my other 3 familiars. Is there something I'm missing? do I need to feed it something else first to get it to have 2 hearts before it can metamorphosis?

• Advertisement

When you can feed the familar the thing for metamorphosis, note the part of the screen that says "X Give Treat". If it is greyed out, you can't give it to them. I think it has to get to a certain level before you can do so. Like, the level of the last skill.

Advertisement