Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

cdb wrote: »
    Subtitles are off but the text is displayed instead of hearing the characters speak if you know what I mean. X button displays all.
    I had subtitles on initially so wonder if it is a hangover from this. Will toggle it again, just wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

It is due to the fact that the game is not fully vocalised, so not all the dialogue will be spoken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sure, but Level 5 completely over shipped it and over estimated returns. Game didn't do anywhere close to what they were expecting.

Yeah, of course, it was undoubtedly a sales disappointment considering the prestige behind it. But figures like '4000 copies sold' and '500 yen bargain bin' are straight out of fantasy land. Here, for example, is what the game was actually discounted to: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/02/ni-no-kuni-prices-slashed-at-japanese-retail/

Still, will be interesting to see if this is one of the first JRPGs to outperform the Japanese market in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Still, will be interesting to see if this is one of the first JRPGs to outperform the Japanese market in the West.
    I had initially thought that, but I think that Namco undershipped and may have choked the sales accidently. It's unfortunate, because by the time they second and third runs properly hit we'll be into the February release madness.

We'll see I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Apparently gamestop will have small amounts back in stock on Wednesday.

God it's lovely isn't. I'm just heading to the deep dark wood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah, of course, it was undoubtedly a sales disappointment considering the prestige behind it. But figures like '4000 copies sold' and '500 yen bargain bin' are straight out of fantasy land. Here, for example, is what the game was actually discounted to: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/02/ni-no-kuni-prices-slashed-at-japanese-retail/

I got those sales figures from Warning a Huge Podcast. They said it sold very few copies and the following months podcast Nick Rocks was saying he the game around that price in a bargain bin and that was the going price for it outside the big cities.

I probably remembered wrong but it was probably 40,000 not 4000. They however don't use Media Create figures since you have to pay for them, I think they use Famitsu which doesn't track online sales and a few stores aren't factored in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No RPG is fully voiced...

noodler wrote: »
    No RPG is fully voiced...

Except for the last few Final Fantasies, Mass Effect, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia....ect

Xenji wrote: »
    Except for the last few Final Fantasies, Mass Effect, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia....ect

?

Nope, in every single of of those games you will find conversations or dialogue options which are simply text.

?

Nope, in every single of of those games you will find conversations or dialogue options which are simply text.

True, but that is only with NPC's, all main character dialogue is voiced unlike Ni no Kuni

Xenji wrote: »
    True, but that is only with NPC's, all main character dialogue is voiced unlike Ni no Kuni

Okay fair enough I haven't played it - getting a little flustered with the definition of voice and non-voiced RPGs. Seems to be alot of middle ground.

Even Persona which had a huge proportion of text dialogue had the main characters speak audio some of the time.

• Advertisement

Okay fair enough I haven't played it - getting a little flustered with the definition of voice and non-voiced RPGs. Seems to be alot of middle ground.

Even Persona which had a huge proportion of text dialogue had the main characters speak audio some of the time.

Yeah it is a muddy area, speaking of Persona I cannot wait till they finally release 5, as much as I liked Catherine, I wish they would of just focused on Persona.

Five hours later, great game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Very well deserved, I'm gonna jump back into it now :D

Can someone confirm if symths are selling this? My friend apparently got it cheap in there, but I didn't see it yesterday. Although I only paid 32e euro total for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

cloud493 wrote: »
    Very well deserved, I'm gonna jump back into it now :D

Can someone confirm if symths are selling this? My friend apparently got it cheap in there, but I didn't see it yesterday. Although I only paid 32e euro total for it.

I tried here in Limerick but was told it wasn't even in their system.

That's what I thought, since its not even showing up on the website. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Deano7788 wrote: »

Thank god something knocked Cod off the top stop, at least for a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The Hut order got delivered today.

This might be a stupid question but how do I evolve my familiars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Go to the Creature Cage. One of them will say metamorphosis above the fullness and familiarity score. Depending on what sign they are under, you have to give them a treat. Give one of a Sun, Star, Moon or Planet drop for the first time, and the jumbo one for the 2nd time. Pay attention to the "X Give Treat" and the one you can feed it is the one you'll need.

• Advertisement

The first time you have a chance to do it is after you finish the 3 trials in the temple, you are given a tutorial about it then.

Cheers guys. I'm just doing some of the errands/bounty hunts before heading to the temple.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

We've been told by our Namco distributor that they will have stock into them on Friday 15th which should filter into us for the 18th / 19th.

I'm waiting for clarification on it but they also seem to think they will have some Wizards edition stock available. We'd be looking at a price point of circa €105 delivered to anywhere in Ireland. I know that's a little bit higher than Gamestop had them at but it's best price we can do based on the cost price we've ebeen quoted. If anyone is interested in one could you let me know. I don't know how many we can get (may not be any when it all settles down) but I figured I'd give you guys here first option on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The seed sprite Sid is almost disgustingly cute.

Although apart from his evade ability he seems a bit useless :pac:

I dropped sid. Using the evolved of mitey and the cat thing for Oliver.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I love this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I kinda wish there were more than 99 save slots though :P

I had gone through all of those somewhere between 35 - 40 hours, and had to overwrite going backwards then. I'm in the post game. Great game.

I dropped sid. Using the evolved of mitey and the cat thing for Oliver.

You should of kept Sid, once you get to the Desert and the event that happens after, you will be fighting a lot of fire based enemies, he also has the highest magic attack I have seen of any of the familiars yet.

I'm already past that so.
    got the sea cow :D I like swaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

This game successfully led me into what I like to call the "FIRE EVERYTHING" trap.

That's when you're playing an RPG and you sense that the next fight is gonna be a big one (or you died a couple of times on it already like me). So you decided to go all out. Spend nearly all your money on items to aid you in battle, and use up all the treats for the familiars in this case, and go into the battle with everything you've got!

Only for it to turn out to be a timed/certain damage dealt battle....It was the
    Shadar fight on the Sea Cow
    if you are wondering.

I haven't fallen for that since I played Final Fantasy X. I am both impressed and distraught over the loss of my cake.

Advertisement