Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the bank notify Revenue of a large overseas transfer?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

My wife is accepting a €10k transfer to our joint account from her sister abroad to pay off a debt her sister has has here in Ireland.

I am wondering will there be any problems for us in accepting this transfer? Will Revenue come knocking asking questions? It is legit as Money her sister has earned abroad and my wife will be paying her debt straight away. But I don't want any issues or hassle from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

somairle wrote: »
    My wife is accepting a €10k transfer to our joint account from her sister abroad to pay off a debt her sister has has here in Ireland.

I am wondering will there be any problems for us in accepting this transfer? Will Revenue come knocking asking questions? It is legit as Money her sister has earned abroad and my wife will be paying her debt straight away. But I don't want any issues or hassle from it.

€10000 is the threshold for requirement for the bank to at least report the transaction to Revenue who will then determine if they need to follow up. If it is a lump sum gift it should be able to be tax free but gifts from people are not always tax free.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

chris85 wrote: »

€10000 is the threshold for requirement for the bank to at least report the transaction to Revenue who will then determine if they need to follow up. If it is a lump sum gift it should be able to be tax free but gifts from people are not always tax free.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html
    Tell her to transfer €9,999?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Contact the Revenue, they'll be glad to advise you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement