Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened on 145 bus between Trinity and Grafton St? 17:45 ish

Options
  • 06-12-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

If you were in the city about an hour ago you would have heard sirens. The 145 bus had been evacuated and there was Guards surrounding it and the had it cordened off. I heard someone say that they seen "a body" and I seen a group of police all huddled around something/someone.

Personally I seen 5 squad cars, 3 bikes flew down Grafton St and a Fire Brigade...

Surely someone must know what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I was in Costa when it happened. Staff told me someone had died. There was the bus, a brigade and two taxis sectioned off. Police were covering what I assume was a body. Not sure what happened exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Man involved in a fight fell under a bus and was fatally injured. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

folamh wrote: »
    I was in Costa when it happened. Staff told me someone had died. There was the bus, a brigade and two taxis sectioned off. Police were covering what I assume was a body. Not sure what happened exactly.

You probably seen my passing by! haha

Seriously tho, thats bad

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Normally walk through Trinity in and out of work so was down that way before being turned back, area was closed off from Nassau St all the way down to College Green and Trinity Nassau St gate was locked up. Tent was up covering what I assume was a body, serious amount of police and fire engines around, no sign of an ambulance. Saw some people carrying what looked like a body bag towards the tent so didn't look good at all. R.I.P. if it's as bad as it looked.

Town totally gridlocked, traffic all the way back up to Summerhill on the Northside and the Southside wasn't moving at all around Dame St. and down the quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Walked by this on the way home and was wondering what was going on. Notice there was a parked bus. That's usually a pretty bad sign :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Rip. I was around the corner waiting on a bus when it happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Oh God how awful :( RIP. So many people must have seen it happen too :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From RTE

A man has died following an incident on Dawson St in Dublin city centre.
    The man, who was in his 20s, reportedly fell onto the street after he was hit during a row and was then struck by a bus.
    The incident happened at around 5.40pm.
    The bus driver is reported to be extremely shocked by the incident.
    Gardaí from Pearse St have appealed for witnesses to contact them at 01- 6669000, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

That is an awful corner in my opinion. Many times in the morning i see people walking out into the street there without a proper look around. There is also a large box with a map that blocks the view of incoming traffic. Very sad incident :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Awful accident. Read on Joe.ie he was decapitated. The two other men involved fled the scene and are now being sought for questioning.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It was still closed up to twenty minutes ago, very tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Folks out of respect, can we keep speculation to a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

What an awful tragedy. That junction is very busy, traffic going both directions from the bottom of Dawson St and coming up Nassau St, anyone falling onto the road wouldn't have a chance.

RIP

Sympathies to the bus driver too, he'll be severely traumatised after this. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

2 buses still within the cordon at 11pm, so presumably two full busloads of potential witnesses if it was a 145 and one of the 15s.

So many times I've been waiting beside the driver at that corner to get off at the next stop on Suffolk St..you don't think what you might witness.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Large portion of the street still closed off causing huge traffic disruption..i would avoid the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Another few families lives ruined over what might be a silly row. I don't think the departed has been identified yet, he could be homeless, a ghost drug user, an immigrant, a back packer, a professional on his own in the city... whoever he was, he was someones baby at one stage. We can only hope he didn't feel much pain. Was it a terrible terrible mistake with awful ramifications? We've all seen fistycuffs and shoving matches, sometimes the timing or a bad fall can be fatal.

Marcmc, I hope my speculations aren't hurtful to anyone, delete if so... but there's lessons to be learned when things like this happen, we have to be that little bit more careful knocking around the city, any one of us could be the punched/pushed or the one that got punched/pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

John_Rambo wrote: »
    any one of us could be the punched/pushed or the one that got punched/pushed.

Or the person on the receiving end of a punch or a push

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can only imagine that there must have been literally hundreds of witnesses. It is a very busy junction for pedestrians too. It must be a horrific thing to have witnessed and I imagine, aswell as the bus driver, many others will have to carry what they have seen with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That is one of the worst incidents in the city I think I've ever heard of. Must have been an awful experience for everyone in the area.

RIP to the deceased, tragic and what a terrible way to go. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Article on The Irish Times website says a man due in court over the incident. The victim has been identified at last. Article states that a number of homeless people and drug users were involved in a row...very strange detail to include? http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1209/breaking2.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Updated article here.

THE distraught father of a man killed under a Dublin Bus believes his son was caught up in a row about money.
    Eoghan Dudley (28), who died of horrific head injuries when he was allegedly pushed toward the bus, wasn't homeless and didn't drink, his family said.
    Eoghan died almost immediately after he went under the 15-tonne vehicle at the junction of Dawson Street and Nassau Street in Dublin city centre.
    Speaking to the Irish Independent, his father Seamus said there was no evidence that his son was intoxicated or had taken drugs at the time of his death.
    Eoghan's family is from Rathfarnham in south Dublin.
    His father admitted: "My son had his problems, but he was still human."
    He believed that an altercation occurred when his son had been asked for money as he was walking along the street.
    "He would have had no money except a couple of coins in his pocket," Seamus Dudley said.
    Following the incident, it was widely reported that Eoghan might have been living on the street and that his death resulted from a dispute between homeless people.
    However, Seamus said that this was not the case, and that his son Eoghan was not homeless and had moved into an apartment last year.
    Seamus said he wanted to set the record straight and clarify misinformation about his son's death.
    He said his son rarely drank and that the results of the postmortem examination showed he hadn't been drinking or taking drugs.
    A man in his late 20s was last night being held in Pearse Street garda station following his arrest last Thursday.
    Hundreds of commuters and shoppers were in the vicinity when the fatal collision happened last Thursday evening. It took place opposite Trinity College on Dublin's Nassau Street during rush hour.
    Mr Dudley suffered horrendous head injuries, and a number of eye witnesses, including the bus driver, were treated for shock following the incident.
    Witnesses said that there was a row between the victim and two other men which resulted in the appalling scene on Dawson Street.
    Some of those who were close to the scene were visibly traumatised by the appalling nature of the man's death.
    The driver had driven from Bray, Co Wicklow, on a busy route. He was heading towards Heuston station when, in a flash, the man ended up under his bus.
    Mr Dudley added that he first believed that an unidentified man who had been decapitated in the bus incident was his son, from a description of his clothing which he read in this newspaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Closed so as to not prejudice any legal proceedings. Some posts have been deleted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement