Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would the ESB cut power to your home?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Its something that I have always wondered about. How do the ESB go about cutting power from your home?

For example, you do not pay your electric bills and they want to cut power to your home. How would they go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

james142 wrote: »
    Its something that I have always wondered about. How do the ESB go about cutting power from your home?

For example, you do not pay your electric bills and they want to cut power to your home. How would they go about this?

Remove main fuse from your mains board ..outside your house probably in a white box on wall ...near to main fuse board in house ....outside

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Remove main fuse from your mains board ..outside your house probably in a white box on wall ...near to main fuse board in house ....outside

Could you not just buy a new fuse and fit it in its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

james142 wrote: »
    Could you not just buy a new fuse and fit it in its place?

If you have already paid for your funeral,sure, why not? Otherwise you are dealing with raw 220v ac, unfused. It's an electrical supply place only type fuse, not available from Woodies.

One wrong move and you are toast, or charcoal.

Even if you manage it, and it can be done, when they find out (and they will) they'll get all sorts of court orders against you - and the courts will enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

If that's a real question???! They will see its metering. You will be arrested and charged with theft of electricity. Stupid idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you have already paid for your funeral,sure, why not? Otherwise you are dealing with raw 220v ac, unfused.

One wrong move and you are toast, or charcoal.
    I think it would take a little more than 220v to turn a person into charcoal.

It's an electrical supply place only type fuse, not available from Woodies.
    Its just as well its not available from woodies, it would probably be cheaper to pay the outstanding bill if it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

And if you got a fuse and reconnected the supply, the meter would be recording it, so you pay for it at some stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭seanhalpin

I personally know an idividual who somehow got hold of a temporary supply box from a building site. They have it hooked up illegally to the wires on a nearby pole at their farmyard to supply the farm buildings.

Mod Edit: Describing dangerous and illegal ways to avoid paying for electricity is not permitted, 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

seanhalpin wrote: »
    I personally know an idividual who somehow got hold of a temporary supply box from a building site. They have it hooked up illegally to the wires on a nearby pole at their farmyard to supply the farm buildings.

:eek:

If you know where this is, and who is doing it, how would you feel is someone was killed because it wasn't reported. Someone's life is more than 20cent a unit!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

The new smart meters will have facility to disconnect remotely. Someone sitting in an office in Dublin can disconnect you with the click of a mouse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Don't know if there is a bit of chain pulling here but there are 2 things to be afraid of - 220V or the smell of gas. Life's too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sounds like someone's fishing for info ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Sounds like someone's fishing for info ;)

Damn my covers blown :rolleyes:

Naa I was just curious :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not a bother.

Without getting into details, it's usually as straightforward as you imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

3 letters for you..

CER

Central Energy Regulator

Make an official complaint to them..
    They are so back logged with complaints,that you are looking at at least 6 months waiting time.

Once you have informed the electrical provider that you have written to the CER then they cant cut the power to the house till the CER makles an official rulling.

The CER will usually tell you to enter into an agreeable payment plan with the service provider.

So you are buying yourself at least 6 months to get the money together to offset it against the bill in arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

paddy147 wrote: »
    3 letters for you..

CER

Central Energy Regulator

Make an official complaint to them..
    They are so back logged with complaints,that you are looking at at least 6 months waiting time.

Once you have informed the electrical provider that you have written to the CER then they cant cut the power to the house till the CER makles an official rulling.

The CER will usually tell you to enter into an agreeable payment plan with the service provider.

So you are buying yourself at least 6 months to get the money together to offset it against the bill in arrears.
    nice one paddy
    is that correct then?

M cebee wrote: »
    nice one paddy
    is that correct then?

yep

Extended family member did it and the CER stepped in,after the family member wrote to them.

CERs official reccomendation (after a 9 month waiting time) was that customer and service provider had to enter into an agreeable payment plan. and pay off X-Amount each week,till the arrears was cleared.

Service provider still had to supply juice to the house

paddy147 wrote: »

yep
    thanks
    i'll let the wife know

M cebee wrote: »
    thanks
    i'll let the wife know

Just added some more to previous post,so say what happened and how it happened

Also no harm to approach MABS too....(if in financial difficulty with regards paying gas or leccy bill)

http://www.mabs.ie/

They have a bit of leverage/weight on gas and leccy service providers.

• Advertisement

[Quotejust=paddy147;82116515]

Just added some more to previous post,so say what happened and how it happened[/Quote]
    just kidding about the wife
    but very useful info for those in that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

frankmul wrote: »
    The new smart meters will have facility to disconnect remotely. Someone sitting in an office in Dublin can disconnect you with the click of a mouse
    No they can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

ted1 wrote: »
    No they can't do that.

I thought they could. Some esb guy feeding me with rubbish. Sorry

ted1 wrote: »
    No they can't do that.

Why you say they cant?

I think their is a model that does have the function, it has a modem built in. Their is a lot of digital meters but they aren't smart meters, they cant do anything.

Davy wrote: »
    Their is a lot of digital meters but they aren't smart meters, they cant do anything.

Well they can meter:)

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well they can meter:)

Sorry I didn't know that, I take it all back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I can remember reading several years ago in the Echo how members of a particular ethnic group had being getting their electricity from the Cobh Cork rail line by Glanmire, Seems they had hooked cables to the signalling system.

charlemont wrote: »
    I can remember reading several years ago in the Echo how members of a particular ethnic group had being getting their electricity from the Cobh Cork rail line by Glanmire, Seems they had hooked cables to the signalling system.

They were probably trained

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭seanhalpin

robbie7730 wrote: »
    They were probably trained

Well I can call bullsh!t on that since the cobh line isn't electrified.

• Advertisement

Well I can call bullsh!t on that since the cobh line isn't electrified.

Id say its possible there are a few services along the line powered by electricity.

Advertisement