Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS for home network

Options
  • 06-12-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

hi
    im thinking about getting a NAS for my home network.

is anyone using one, and any recomendations?

im looking at raid 1, prob 1TB and will be using it to share Itunes, Pic and Movies.

any suggestions welcome.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Zyxel NSA310...

There should be a thread on it in bargain alerts. i have had one for the past few months and it is excellent.

I bought it for around 50 euro delivered and added a 3tb drive to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Access wrote: »
    Zyxel NSA310...

There should be a thread on it in bargain alerts. i have had one for the past few months and it is excellent.

I bought it for around 50 euro delivered and added a 3tb drive to it.

What are the trasfer rates like on those? Realistically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Any old Computer lying around? If so you could install server 2003, use it as a file server and theirs your backup system, If your any good a Linux commands you can download suse server or Redhat,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

What are the trasfer rates like on those? Realistically

Not great over the network if transfering files from my laptop etc... but fine for me... have tested running one 1080 rip to xbmc in sitting room, and dvd rip to another laptop and also at the same time streaming mp3 to a tablet from the Nas and no buffering what so ever... and thats all through a crappy eircom wifi router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Access wrote: »
    Not great over the network if transfering files from my laptop etc... but fine for me... have tested running one 1080 rip to xbmc in sitting room, and dvd rip to another laptop and also at the same time streaming mp3 to a tablet from the Nas and no buffering what so ever... and thats all through a crappy eircom wifi router.

Thought so, already have a nas that does exactly that so no need to change. Those Netopia routers are not too bad, I use a switch now though. More ports and has a better capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

thanks for all the replys.
    i would have a spare pc or 2 lying around, but with the nas, i was kinda hoping for something that would just stay in "sleep" until access was needed.

ie at the minute, i stream my music to an appletv, via my pc, which requires the pc to be on.

with the nas, i was hoping to do away with having a pc on 24/7 (not that it is :eek: )

theres a few on misco and dabs, priced around €120. might see in the new year if they come down a few quid....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

NAS are fantastic things, i love the bittorrent end of them too.

most of them have sleep/power off modes, but i can only powerup my buffalo from windows pc or mac with buffalo software installed.
    It means i have to turn on a pc to keep it awake, even if i just want it for android or tv

Also, just found recently, some router/hubs can block wake up packets

Advertisement