Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here/or know somebody who does Java programming grinds?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Currently in first year of computing and struggling to get my head around java at the moment,
    I currently have a CA due in the next week that I can't get to grips with so I'm looking to start "lessons" or "sessions" with someone who has good experience with programming and good explaining it.

If all goes well I'd be interesting in doing it on a weekly basis, because as I said I'm struggling to get my head around it and its getting more and more advanced very quickly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciarank1

where are you based? I have first year in software development done and java was the main language, will be willing to lend a hand if you want, im in galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Sorry, should've said that in opening post. I'm based in dublin!

Thanks for the offer though mate, hope all is going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Go onto YouTube and type in the newboston he some dude In the us he goes over java object c HTML JavaScript etc

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Cork24 wrote: »
    Go onto YouTube and type in the newboston he some dude In the us he goes over java object c HTML JavaScript etc

indeed,

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=ECFE2CE09D83EE3E28

after two weeks of watchin the tutorials, i knew enough to get honors in 1st year programming.

great tuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah Bucky is a bit of a genius.... Brilliant tutorials.. I did the jquery ones to get me up and running on that and I still have a copy on my hard drive..Good quality, concise and straight to the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

I admire what thenewboston is doing but honestly his videos aren't that great and it's clear he isn't a professional and doesn't have any experience with actual software engineering. Also, using Eclipse to learn Java is a horrible idea, that would be my first tip. Don't use any IDE to learn any language until you are very experienced. Use a text editor and CLI.

I admire what thenewboston is doing but honestly his videos aren't that great and it's clear he isn't a professional and doesn't have any experience with actual software engineering. Also, using Eclipse to learn Java is a horrible idea, that would be my first tip. Don't use any IDE to learn any language until you are very experienced. Use a text editor and CLI.

Text editor for programming ! My good why dont we all just go back using DOS and we could just go back to telnet or FTP to checking our emails..

OP use eclipse and start to know your way around Plugins and swing, once your java and you start moving Into OOP you can start programming in Linux.

Yes the guy in YouTube is not a professional but he's probably the only guy on YouTube that goes though 84vidoes in a good way,

You can also check out http://www.wibit.net/curriculum/courses/programming_java

Text editor for programming ! My good why dont we all just go back using DOS and we could just go back to telnet or FTP to checking our emails..

OP use eclipse and start to know your way around Plugins and swing, once your java and you start moving Into OOP you can start programming in Linux.

Yes the guy in YouTube is not a professional but he's probably the only guy on YouTube that goes though 84vidoes in a good way,

You can also check out http://www.wibit.net/curriculum/courses/programming_java

Text editor for learning unless you want to unemployed or underpaid. How can one possibly suggest using an IDE for learning programming a good idea? It completely abstracts how the language works i.e source text file => compiled byte code => JVM => native code, into a single push of the button. While this is useful for seasoned developers suggesting a beginner shouldn't learn how a language works is insane. An IDE also abstracts countless other behaviors meaning that you end up barely knowing the syntax of the language and having no idea how it actually works. If you wanted to learn how email works using Telenet might be a good idea but that's not what the OP asked.

Learning to program from watching videos on Youtube is an inherently bad way to do things anyway as it in no way encourages you to experiment and as I said before, actually learn how things work.

The least dry beginners Java book I have found is this book and it is certainly worth the investment. Most of these online tutorials are pretty worthless, riddled with wrong information and contain much bad practice.

The least dry beginners Java book I have found is this book and it is certainly worth the investment.

Head First Java !! :pac: a Well investment you got to be joking... the only thing that's good about that books is when i run out of toilet paper!

Underpaid and not able to find work if you learn programming with IDEs, i have seen around 10 Java developer jobs going that ask for 2+, good back ground in Swing, Eclipse plugin including Client platforms..

Here are the books i have used..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Java-Programs-Basics-Approach/dp/0136091814/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354923062&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-Java-Second-Joshua-Bloch/dp/0321356683/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354922980&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Core-Java-Advanced-Features-v/dp/0132354799/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354922980&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Java-Program-Early-Objects-Deitel/dp/0132575663/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354923012&sr=1-2

Lets get to the point of things OP is having Trouble getting the hand of things in java, yes if you have learned different languages before hand the Sudo code is the same just how we Write it.

for College work why would teachers tell Students to go away install java SDK, install etc etc.. Open Terminal or Dos if your using Windows program in that use more code to compile the code, and if we have a problem, then its up to you to figure it out..

College is back learning the Basics of the Code, why and how we use this code over that code.. if you want to learn more depth theirs a thing called Masters or a Ph.. then that we get into the real world programming, how to work as part of a team, how to program from just looking at a UML design drawing..

I have Recommend thenewboston to OP on the fact this guy shows you the basics and what this class does, while hes programming in front of you. you can see ah thats what that does....

Head First Java !! :pac: a Well investment you got to be joking... the only thing that's good about that books is when i run out of toilet paper!
    Please elaborate other than making pointless remarks. I found it was a great book and allowed me to experiment further by working on my own projects and reading more advanced books.
    Underpaid and not able to find work if you learn programming with IDEs, i have seen around 10 Java developer jobs going that ask for 2+, good back ground in Swing, Eclipse plugin including Client platforms..
    Wow, that's wonderful information, I can tell you're going far. I never said learning an IDE wasn't good, I said it wasn't good for beginners. Once you move past beginner level then it's time to learn an IDE.
    That's wonderful but those aren't books for beginners.

Lets get to the point of things OP is having Trouble getting the hand of things in java, yes if you have learned different languages before hand the Sudo code is the same just how we Write it.

for College work why would teachers tell Students to go away install java SDK, install etc etc.. Open Terminal or Dos if your using Windows program in that use more code to compile the code, and if we have a problem, then its up to you to figure it out..
    I can't understand what you're even trying to say. Maybe I'm expecting too much of someone who can't master basic English to be able to understand programming.

College is back learning the Basics of the Code, why and how we use this code over that code.. if you want to learn more depth theirs a thing called Masters or a Ph.. then that we get into the real world programming, how to work as part of a team, how to program from just looking at a UML design drawing..
    I don't think there's any institution in the country offering masters or a PhD in such basic topics. I suppose the fact that you consider such topics advanced is the reason why I'm having this discussion in the first place.
    I have Recommend thenewboston to OP on the fact this guy shows you the basics and what this class does, while hes programming in front of you. you can see ah thats what that does....
    Whatever a class does should be covered in the documentation for that class and any decent book will explain that and how you can get that information. That shouldn't be explained in a video. What should be explained is why the class exists at all, thenewboston skims over details like this in favor of teaching language specific syntax.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Ill give ya a hand if ur stuck on anthin if you want to PM me

Level 9 Master of Science in Software Developement

and i cant understand programming. :D Please...

i have spent the last 4 years learning..

Java, JavaScript, Perl, Python, C++, Visual Basic, ASP.Net, MySQL with Java Connection Linux Command line programming.

& also looking into getting my Ph in Networking if i can save the money..

OP, if your having problems with java, PM me and i will try my best to help, if not i can point you in the direction that you could look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Java, JavaScript, Perl, Python, C++, Visual Basic, ASP.Net, MySQL with Java Connection Linux Command line programming.

OP, if your having problems with java, PM me and i will try my best to help, if not i can point you in the direction that you could look into.

Would visual basic's not be the easiest.Currently doing computer maintenance in stiofain naofa and would be interested in software dev just stuck on getting my head around vb which must sound pathetic. Would you reccomend boston newborn?

I can't read what that course covers but if what you're saying is true then that is extremely upsetting and shows the abysmal state of third level education in Ireland.

I'm sure that's great for playing buzzword bingo on your CV but languages are irrelevant when it comes to understanding programming.
    Well before you do please learn that it's a "PhD" first so as not to embarrass yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

article-1033883-01E6634C00000578-987_468x272.jpg

If I could ever picture a perfect time to face palm ones face now would be a great time..

Man stop trolling you made your point about IDE and people would learn in console dos before moving on,,

Not going to go their about 3rd level.

Would visual basic's not be the easiest.Currently doing computer maintenance in stiofain naofa and would be interested in software dev just stuck on getting my head around vb which must sound pathetic. Would you reccomend boston newborn?

Visula basic, if you PM me I could try and dig out some old notes that I should have on my HD, Are you doing vb? Visual basic Is a handy program, Gets you into the basic level of OOP, I never tried Boston for visual basic, but if they are their on his channel I bet their worth while watching,

As being the easiest one to program it's really down to the person some people find c++ easy others find java easy etc..

I find The deitel how to program books very good for starting off, what I love about those books, is that it gives you a program to write it tells you the steps to take to debug it, how to spot compile time errors/ runtime errors it really shows you the bad way to program as well as the good way which not every book does,

I take it your doing java as well in that course.. You can pick up the how to program in java as well would highly recommend that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Jesus, I'm kinda regretting I asked now.

Anyway, I have resorted to TheNewBoston on several occasions and I have used Eclipse aswell (even though our lecture asked us not too,)
    And I still can't really come to grips with it.

My course is very intensive and we are flying through java week by week and I'm finding it very difficult to stay on top of things.

In regards to NewBoston, my lecturer seems to do things a little differently then on that site and it seems extremely basic.

I'm more stressed out because my last exam didn't go too well and we have a CA due for next friday on Parallel arrays but I'm completely lost, I need to pass this CA to pass this semester and I just want a one-to-one session with whoever can help me with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi folks. Please keep things civil and answer the op with less of arguing and trolling. Any more and expect infractions to be handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Learning to program from watching videos on Youtube is an inherently bad way to do things anyway as it in no way encourages you to experiment and as I said before, actually learn how things work.

I agree with you on most of your points just not that one. Pretty much everyone in my course has used Buckys videos. Some have experimented with doing bigger projects and trying out new stuff some haven't. I think whether you experiment is based on why you are doing the course as in do you have a genuine interest in the course.

I found Schuams Outlines Programming with Java very good for beginning.

• Advertisement

With Parallel arrays you do the same thing as normal arrays to print out so If I have student name in one lot of arrays then in the second array and third I could call then marks

So when want to print them I'll go

For(int count =0; count < student.lenght; count++)
    {

System.out.print(Name[index]);

System.out.print(Marks[index]);
    System.out.print(marks2[index]);

}
    If I was using strings I would have the same

System.out.print(Name.lenght toString(Name));

System.out.print(Name.lenght toString(marks));

System.out.print(Name.lenght toString(marks2));

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

Text editor for learning unless you want to unemployed or underpaid. How can one possibly suggest using an IDE for learning programming a good idea? It completely abstracts how the language works i.e source text file => compiled byte code => JVM => native code, into a single push of the button. While this is useful for seasoned developers suggesting a beginner shouldn't learn how a language works is insane. An IDE also abstracts countless other behaviors meaning that you end up barely knowing the syntax of the language and having no idea how it actually works.
    +1 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

With Parallel arrays you do the same thing as normal arrays to print out so If I have student name in one lot of arrays then in the second array and third I could call then marks

So when want to print them I'll go

For(int count =0; count < student.lenght; count++)
    {

System.out.print(Name[index]);

System.out.print(Marks[index]);
    System.out.print(marks2[index]);

}
    If I was using strings I would have the same

System.out.print(Name.lenght toString(Name));

System.out.print(Name.lenght toString(marks));

System.out.print(Name.lenght toString(marks2));

Why would you use a parallel array in Java? Why not just create a Student class of some kind, set properties for each object reference in your array and then just read them out again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

There is a program called BlueJ which we used for first year programming in Java. Best thing to use when learning. Using a textpad is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

It wouldn't do the OP any harm to check out http://stackoverflow.com/ while they're at it.

Me i dont like using Arrays i like LinkLists or ArrayLists,

Hate using Arrays.. ArrayLists are easier to use, no need to check for a Null, when adding or removing an item thats inside the Array List..

Why would you use a parallel array in Java? Why not just create a Student class of some kind, set properties for each object reference in your array and then just read them out again?

Yeah, I agree I don't think there is ever really an excuse to use parallel arrays in Java unless for some really crazy heap allocation issues in which case you probably shouldn't use Java anyway. I'd say the OP is taking an introductory programming course through Java which is why it's part of the course.

Advertisement