Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from an inspection?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So my lease in my current flat draws close and I am hoping to renew it since I like this place. I contacted the leasing agent and they wer elike grand, i'll pop over to inspect it on this and this date and we can get it sorted for you.

and now I am a bit "..." because this is actually the first inspection of such kind I've been through here in Ireland - last flat I was in, they never bothered, and the one before that landlord lived next door so there was never an official one. I'd like to know, what are they going to do? Are they allowed to look around the closets and cupboards? Poke about the kitchen appliances and if so, to what degree? etc, etc. I've a small studio, that I haven't broken anything in as far as I know, but you never know...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are staying, presumably, they primarily want to know that you haven't trashed the place, stolen the bathroom fittings and burnt the furniture in a bonfire, thereby killing all the grass in the garden.

If you are leaving, they will expect the property to be empty of everything except what is on the inventory in the lease - all rubbish, your possessions, etc. should be gone. Everything will be expected to be clean - kitchen (especially cooker, fridge), bathroom, wall marks, stains, tile grout, etc., certainly as clean as you received it.

Gas, electricity meter, etc. will need to be read and the account names changed. You should arrange for your post to be forwarded to your new address (An Post have a special service for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

NoxNox wrote: »
    So my lease in my current flat draws close and I am hoping to renew it since I like this place. ...
    Hoping? Are you aware that you do not have to sign a new fixed term lease but can claim Part 4 tenancy if this suits you. See here for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was supposed to have one last week. She only walked into the kitchen then said she had another house to see and apologised that she had to scoot on.
    I was expecting here to call round later but that didn't happen...
    The other weird thing is that she doesn't work for the property service we use, we think she might be the owner's wife.

I got a call asking if we were interested in meeting to discuss renewing and I said that I wasn't staying much longer (re-locating).

I'm guessing they just wanted to judge what offer to make us based on how well we're keeping the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

xper wrote: »
    Hoping? Are you aware that you do not have to sign a new fixed term lease but can claim Part 4 tenancy if this suits you. See here for more information.
    Agreed. Also have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056825272

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

When I had an agency provided inspector to my last rental she came around with a camera and started taking photos of everything (floors, cupboards, appliances etc). Despite me telling her not to take photos of my stuff (computer, computer desk, etc), she did anyway.

I asked for copies of the photos to be sent to me. They never did.
    I emailed them reminding them I wanted copies. They never replied.

Back then I was naieve and didn't do anything about it. If I was renting again (I've bought since), I would have raised an almighty stink with both the agency and the landlord. Mind you, this was the agency that, "for my own benefit and comfort", wanted me to make a copy of the landlords key for him and POST IT TO THEM WITH THE ADDRESS OF THE FLAT INSIDE THE ENVELOPE. I won that round after several essays of emails went back and forth telling them why that was an absolutely crazy idea.

So just be aware that if you have someone coming, know your rights and don't let them invade your privacy.

• Advertisement

So just be aware that if you have someone coming, know your rights and don't let them invade your privacy.

Agreed. Its reasonable that the landlord or someone acting on his behalf can check the condition of the house but since it is being done in your home it happens on your terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

When I had an agency provided inspector to my last rental she came around with a camera and started taking photos of everything (floors, cupboards, appliances etc). Despite me telling her not to take photos of my stuff (computer, computer desk, etc), she did anyway.

Did she provide some form of identification to show who she was? If not she would have been firmly asked to leave my home and to leave the camera behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NoxNox

So what exactly ARE they entitled to do? Like, where does the right between privacy and inspection go? Can they open up cupboards and closets and the like? Or move furniture? How is privacy defined here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They are there to basically ensure that the property is being kept in good order and that no damage has/is being caused. This should not require them to go rooting through any of your stuff, drawers, presses, wardrobes etc. Certainly taking pictures is out of line in my opinion.

NoxNox wrote: »
    So what exactly ARE they entitled to do? Like, where does the right between privacy and inspection go? Can they open up cupboards and closets and the like? Or move furniture? How is privacy defined here?

They can ask yo open a cupboard. I would guess that they would have to open the fridge and dishwasher if they were doing an electrical safety check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

djimi wrote: »
    Did she provide some form of identification to show who she was? If not she would have been firmly asked to leave my home and to leave the camera behind her.

I can't remember off the top of my head as it was 2 years ago, but I had at the time been talking to the person I'd always dealt with in the agency who spoke for her. But yes, recommended to get ID if you don't know the person doing the inspecting!

Advertisement