Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holdem Question (Straights)

Options
  • 06-12-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Ive been playing a lot of Zynga Poker on my phone lately trying to pick up how to play a bit and on a few occasions Ive seen 3 of a kind, 2 pair and once even pair that seemed to beat my straights, can anyone think of a reason for this or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

2 pair doesn't beat a straight. Neither does 3 of a kind.

maybe they had full houses?

Here is a list of pokers hands and their ranks:

http://www.pokerlistings.com/poker-hand-ranking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know but Ive seen it happen 3 times now, just wondering if theres some version of Holdem where they can beat a Straight, Im 90% sure they weren't Full Houses. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Actually while you're there can you tell me what the difference is in some online games where the winner gets the full pot as you'd expect but then in others it seems to be divided up between different players at the table at the end, I cant find an explanation for that anywhere...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Thargor wrote: »
    I know but Ive seen it happen 3 times now, just wondering if theres some version of Holdem where they can beat a Straight, Im 90% sure they weren't Full Houses. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Actually while you're there can you tell me what the difference is in some online games where the winner gets the full pot as you'd expect but then in others it seems to be divided up between different players at the table at the end, I cant find an explanation for that anywhere...

Are you playing hi-lo poker, where the pot is split between the person with the best hand and the person with the worst hand? The other possibility, which is much more likely, is that 2 people at the table have the same winning hand, so the pot is split evenly between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TrueDub wrote: »
    Are you playing hi-lo poker, where the pot is split between the person with the best hand and the person with the worst hand? The other possibility, which is much more likely, is that 2 people at the table have the same winning hand, so the pot is split evenly between them.
    That must be it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

TrueDub wrote: »
    Are you playing hi-lo poker. where the pot is split between the person with the best hand and the person with the worst hand? The other possibility, which is much more likely, is that 2 people at the table have the same winning hand, so the pot is split evenly between them.

Hi lo poker would not be holdem, it would be hi lo. im not sure but i doubt zynga are running any hi-lo holdem games. And in hi lo to qualify for a lo you would need all 5 cards in your hand to be different and less than the qualifier (usually less than 8) so 2 pair and trips would not qualify. but a lo straight would net you half the pot, if all the cards are low. i still doubt its hi lo you're playing.

If it was a split pot then the op would have received some chips too assuming the other guys hand is a straight. if not then the other guy has trips or 2 pair and splits it with a 3rd player.

Most likely op you are misreading your hand or your opponents hand.

In holdem you need to use your best 5 cards. in one of these combinations: all 5 from the table, 1 from your hand and 4 from the table, 2 from your hand and 3 from the table.

A hand must contain 5 cards. a straight would be Ace,2,3,4,5 or 5,6,7,8,9, etc. you cant have 4 card straights and you cannot "wrap around" ie queen, king, Ace, 2, 3.

If you are 100% sure that you have a real straight then you have missed the other guy having a full house.

This is more common than you think and with a little practice you will get better. if you're still a little unsure then screen shot the hands or look at the hand history to see. ( i'm not sure if zynga have hand histories, but most real poker sites have play money tables you can play on without having to put money on and they will let you get hand histories)

• Advertisement
Advertisement