Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale of a vehicle

Options
  • 06-12-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi
    (sorry if it may be in the in the wrong place move ad needed)
    I sold a jeep to an employer of mine a few years ago.
    as part of the deal i received part payment of €150. as time progressed i didn't get the outstanding amount and fell out with him over unpaid wages.
    He is now hounding me for the log book of the jeep which i never gave or transferred to his name.
    What are my option in this matter ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mookishboy wrote: »
    Hi
    (sorry if it may be in the in the wrong place move ad needed)
    I sold a jeep to an employer of mine a few years ago.
    as part of the deal i received part payment of €150. as time progressed i didn't get the outstanding amount and fell out with him over unpaid wages.
    He is now hounding me for the log book of the jeep which i never gave or transferred to his name.
    What are my option in this matter ?

You have not been paid for the jeep so you should retain ownership until you are paid in full!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Even if he applies for his own log book, he will need to make a sworn statement in a Garda station that the book is lost, stolen or whatever so thats unlikely. The thing is if the book is in your name, you get caught for all the parking tickets, speeding fines, tolls etc. I'd go to the Guards and explain the situation and see what they say.
    Can you not reach a compromise with your ex boss, but having said that even if you do don't hand him the book, always post it to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

emeldc wrote: »
    Even if he applies for his own log book, he will need to make a sworn statement in a Garda station that the book is lost, stolen or whatever so thats unlikely. The thing is if the book is in your name, you get caught for all the parking tickets, speeding fines, tolls etc. I'd go to the Guards and explain the situation and see what they say.
    Can you not reach a compromise with your ex boss, but having said that even if you do don't hand him the book, always post it to Shannon.

It's a civil matter of an unpaid debt, the Gardaí won't get involved.
    The other guy doesn't need to be the legal owner to have a vehicle registered in his name so he's breaking no laws if he declares the registration document is not forthcoming from the OP.

If anything the OP could be in trouble for not notifying the authorities of the change of ownership.
    http://www.transport.ie/roads/motortax/?lang=ENG&loc=2468

Whether the OP is even the legal owner either could be a matter of conjecture unless he can prove that title did not transfer until the full amount was paid (bearing in mind that the other guy has the sole possession of the jeep continuously for a few years already).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

tell him you want the money for the vehicle, or you'll report it stolen.
    its still your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

I have reposted in legal Discussion. Please lock

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement