Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleepless in Dublin

Options
  • 06-12-2012 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

What's the longest stretch of no sleep you've gotten?
    We had a week of teething followed by two 'wonder' weeks or so it seemed and now straight back into teething with tonight being the 3rd night of her waking up every 20 minutes and taking 30 to fall back asleep. She has stopped napping during the day so I haven't slept at all in three days and two nights and probably a total of 10 hours in the last 3 weeks!
    I am cracking up :(
    Surely a baby can't go that long without a proper sleep? Surely she will sleep for a few hours at a time soon before we all collapse and die?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

you poor thing - can someone give you a break? Thats a marathon run....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

CaraMay wrote: »
    you poor thing - can someone give you a break? Thats a marathon run....
    Well I only have my partner and we each take a turn but it's so constant and sometimes she cries and nobody's getting any sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I can only sympathise, 13 years away from what you are going through now. I can't remember those days but I know they were hell and no one around to help. We used OTC stuff a lot just to get through. Not sure what you can get now like teething gel, so much has been banned,but talk to a good pharmacist. Best of luck, it is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had it easy!! My little girl never really suffered too badly with her teeth, but my little man is a nightmare.

Dribble, fever, screaming, sleeping on my chest , livinging the carrier, guzzling calpol etc... I'm giddy with lack of sleep today. I tried to back to bed before work but couldnt sleep.

Its so bad I cant spell.

I was falling asleep this morning so I packed up the 2 kids and went off for a walk, it woke them up and no naps were had, I was even more tired....

You have my commiserations...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Our boy slept 9-6 straight through from 6 weeks to 15 weeks, for the last 4 weeks I've been up everynight, it's a combination of teething and starting the solids. Thankfully it's not complete hell every night, he only woke at 12:30, 3:00,3:30 and 5:00 last night. There has been night where he woke at 2-3am and did not go back to sleep, so I spent the night/morning on the couch with him. He doesn't nap the best, but I didn't mind that once he was getting his sleep at night, now he's shattered most days, but still will not sleep.

• Advertisement

Another terrible night last night and that was with medicine! And she's teething but she's not even at the stage where it hurts, it just seems uncomfortable. What will it be?! At this stage I don't even know if it's her teeth or just the way she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

lounakin wrote: »
    Another terrible night last night and that was with medicine! And she's teething but she's not even at the stage where it hurts, it just seems uncomfortable. What will it be?! At this stage I don't even know if it's her teeth or just the way she is.
    What are you giving her for teeth? I was giving Calpol to my wee man and it wasn't doing enough for the pain and now on the Nurofen he's a lot happier! Less pain!

I gave her Calpol but she didn't seem in pain so I'm not even sure that's the solution. And even with Calpol we put her to bed right after and she kept waking up every 10 minutes for a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What age is she lounakin? And which teeth are they?

We found baby neurofen good for the canines and molars.

Is there anything else that could be wrong? I know all sorts of things are assigned to teething. I was changing a baby once, who had the worse nappy rash I have ever seen in my life, and the parent said it was from teething. Poor child, an anti-fungal cream would have sorted them out.

Constipated, sniffles, fever, anything itchy like excema?

She's got the two bottom ones out, they appeared at the same time and now the only symptoms I see are the fact that she keeps stuffing her entire hand down her throat (she did that with the first teeth) and she can't sleep and seems to be hyper all the time. She has no rash, fever, sniffles, she scratches her face a lot but I can't see anything there. She also appears to be slightly constipated. She only poos about once a week so it's hard to keep track but it seems maybe it was over a week ago..not sure!!
    She's a week shy of 7 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It might be a small pain in the tummy upsetting her so maybe? I found pear good for that, if she likes it.

Those top front 2 teeth are big alright. The next 4 after that are easier, if it's any consolation.

I can't think of any other sleep disturbances that happen at 7 months other than maybe growth spurt? Every 4 to 6 weeks my girl would go through a growth spurt, where she would want feeds during the night again. Lasted about a week or so, then back to normal. They seemed to ease off around 14 months.

Usually her spurts never last over a week, actually we always have had a good week in between nightmare weeks so that we were never too tired. THis is a first! But if she's getting the two top teeth I guess it's harder for her. Mine were enormous as a child!
    As for pear, I will go and buy some but she's very reluctant to eat food! She was obsessed with it for months and I started her at 5 months, she loved eating but never wanted to increase the portions and have less milk. Then all of a sudden she didn't want her purees anymore, just nursing. I have a mesh feeder and she'll have whatever I put in there though... she loves it! But it's more of a game to her and I don't think she's getting that much food out of it.
    It is an immense consolation to hear that the next 4 won't be as bad! :):):)

Advertisement