Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnant with a big energetic dog with barking issues

• 06-12-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Im nearly 6 months gone and my dog is the type that likes attention so much he cries non stop when he's outside and if he hears the car leave he drives neighbours mad with barking, Im at breaking point with the crying it gets to be too much at times and now Im stuck at home from 5 each day as barking is worse in the dark. He's a big dog (2 year old doberman) and hard for me to walk I really want to sort it out before baby gets here. (he's 100% teddy bear I'v no fear when it comes to baby and him just him crying and me been tired from little sleep with newborn)

any tactics or solutions that has worked for others greatly accepted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your dog is more than likely bored in the garden, and barking. Perhaps leaving him in the house, secluded to one room (like the kitchen), with lots of toys, stuffed kongs and such will help with the barking. He will be much happier with things to occupy him while you are away. You could also leave him in when you are out of the house, he would be fine on his own as long as you keep anything out of sight that could cause a problem (laundry etc.).

If all he wants is to be in, then leave him in! Coming into the winter, and your dog having a very short coat, he will be quite cold and miserable outside. He will be happier and so will you (and your neighbours!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why does he have to be outside? your dog is lonely and bored stupid. Can you not walk him or pay a dog walker to walk him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

the dog gets loads of attention and interaction and hubby walks him he's the type of dog that dont settle when left alone he's always been that way he's the same inside as he is out

But he's barking when he's outside, why can't he be in the house? How often is he walked?

If we leave him in he will bark just as much and our house is joined to another so that wont solve it. He gets hours of exercise even with other big dogs thats not his problem he just dont want to be on his own in any way

• Advertisement

Are you saying even when he's in the house with you he barks? I find that very hard to believe. You are saying he's barking out in the dark, which implies he's outside. Bring the dog in and let him be a part of the family and have company. Get him chew toys, kongs etc to keep him occupied. Is he walked everyday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I had a doberman for 10 years, they are the ultimate people dog in my view and dislike hugely being apart from 'their people': from reading your original post, you have a dog who spends much of his/her time outside (working hours) gets a walk thereafter, and spends more time outside, where he/she then barks.
    If I'm correct, this is not really appropriate for a dog like a doberman. Walk your dog on its 'big' walk in the morning( at least an hour) and bring him or her in during the evening-include an evening walk (big intelligent breeds like DMs love an extra 'look at the world' walks), it helps settle them down for the night.
    Your dog should not be hard to walk, if you find it difficult perhaps change your dog's collar to a dogmatic or canny collar, which makes walking a strong dog so much easier. I understand being pregnant you are feeling vulnerable, but with some training and the right equipment you and your dog will find the right balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Dobies are 'Velcro' dogs they hate being seperately from their people and can suffer with seperation anxiety. I crate trained my guy we got him at 7 months as he used to get so worked up when we went out crying and he was very destructive. Crate trained him and it changed everything! Not one scratch on the crate he goes in no bother with his fav treats and just conks out. Have come home and his chew toys are untouched and he has his 'oh hi I just woke up face on'. He used to sleep in it at night too just until he was crate trained but now only use it when going out. It's a commitment as have to be back to let him out every few hours but its worth it to see the change from stressed out doggie to happy sleepy doggie. It's a relief for me knowing he inside the house safe and sound snoring his face off. Good luck with your doggie.

Im nearly 6 months gone and my dog is the type that likes attention so much he cries non stop when he's outside and if he hears the car leave he drives neighbours mad with barking,

Hes outside and crying, you never said about him being inside. Just bring the dog inside and it will solve your problem, its not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Jesus andreac let up a little will you.

She said he barks inside aswell. Why do you assume she is lying? You don't live with her so we have to assume what she posts is what is happening!

I have seen a lot of Doberman's like this in practice! We had one in that roared (not barked, roared!) from the time he came in until he went home.

OP: Would you consider getting someone in to help you train him and help him with his anxiety? I think it may at the point where you need some professional help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

while it might not be the dogs only issue I have read before that Doberman's are particularly sensitive to the cold and do not do well outside.

just another thought - a few drops of rescue remedy on a treat or in his water can help him feel less stressed as well.

Irishchick wrote: »
    Jesus andreac let up a little will you.

She said he barks inside aswell. Why do you assume she is lying? You don't live with her so we have to assume what she posts is what is happening!

I have seen a lot of Doberman's like this in practice! We had one in that roared (not barked, roared!) from the time he came in until he went home.

OP: Would you consider getting someone in to help you train him and help him with his anxiety? I think it may at the point where you need some professional help.

The original post said the dog was outside barking in the dark, not inside. It was only when i said to bring him in that she said he barks inside too. The problem is when the dog is outside, so bringing him in would be the most obvious solution.

Op, are you saying the dog barks when you are not there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

As previous posters have said could he be bored? Does he have anything else to occupy his time other than his humans? There are a few deals on those voucher websites for vouchers for pet shops. Get him some robust Xmas presents!
    (he's 100% teddy bear I'v no fear when it comes to baby and him just him crying and me been tired from little sleep with newborn)
    He may be a teddy bear, completely innocent and harmless, but accidents happen. He won't know how delicate a newborn is. If he's so attention seeking now what will he be like when a new person comes into the house and takes most of your attention off him? Having any pet around children requires active management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Op it is important to deal with this now before the baby comes. Get professional help with a good behaviourist. You owe this to your dog and you won't have time after bags arrives. Where are you based I'm sure we will have some good recommendations. By the way Congrats on your expanding g family :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'm just wondering if I have it right, your dobie barks when left alone regardless of whether inside or outside, and cries if outside when someone is home?

If I have it right then at least one part is easily solved, I'd keep him in as long as someone is in the house and at least cut out that part of the crying. That will give you the mental strength to do some serious training on the other issue. The other sounds like separation anxiety so that will take some slow and steady training to build up his confidence about being left on his own. Given that you've got a short amount of time to do this in I'd suggest getting in a proper behaviourist to show you exactly how to do it so you can get cracking. If being left outside is going to create too many issues it might be easier to begin training him to stay on his own in a crate or another room in the house, that way it'd just be the one separation he has to get used to and hopefully he'd become more comfortable quicker. If, as the others have said, their coat is not really suitable for an outdoor climate then it'd be a double benefit. Also then if you have visitors over to see the baby he will be comfortable being confined to the crate/room if your visitors aren't comfortable with dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

he's the same inside as he is out
    andreac wrote: »
    But he's barking when he's outside, why can't he be in the house? How often is he walked?

He barks inside as well. If you read the OP's post instead of jumping down her throat you would see that.
    If we leave him in he will bark just as much
    Are you saying even when he's in the house with you he barks? I find that very hard to believe. You are saying he's barking out in the dark, which implies he's outside. Bring the dog in and let him be a part of the family and have company.

The dog still barks when he's inside. As the OP has already said, but you were too busy jumping down her throat to read it.
    Hes outside and crying, you never said about him being inside. Just bring the dog inside and it will solve your problem, its not rocket science.

The OP at this point has REPEATEDLY said the dog still barks when inside. Actually reading her posts would have told you that. It's not rocket science.
    It was only when i said to bring him in that she said he barks inside too. The problem is when the dog is outside, so bringing him in would be the most obvious solution.

Again, and maybe you'll comprehend it this time- the dog still barks when inside. So how is bringing him inside the obvious solution?

If you have a problem with my posts, report them, thanks.

If you have a problem with my posts, report them, thanks.

Congratulations on your moderatership! PS, you haven't answered my question as to how bringing inside, a dog that barks inside, is a solution to him barking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There is a little section in the boards and forum charters which states that posters must post in a civil manner.
    This part of the charter is clearly not being adhered to here in the past few posts.
    Another part of the charter clearly states that if you have a problem with a post, report it. Attack the post, not the poster. If posters have a problem with another's post, they must report the post, not take it upon themselves to chastise the poster.
    If there is any more argumentative posting or smart-arsery from anyone, there will be warnings issued and the thread will be closed.
    Do not respond to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Magenta wrote:
    you haven't answered my question as to how bringing inside, a dog that barks inside, is a solution to him barking.

From working on separation anxiety with my own dog I find it's easier to do it indoors - I can reassure him from another room, he can hear me in the other room/upstairs while he waits for me to come back and treat him for being quiet, I can spy on him with FaceTime/webcams etc (;)), he settles inside and will go asleep. Also bringing him in could be damage limitation depending on where the OP lives - where I live a dog barking outside is liable to disturb neighbours on my road and the road behind us but inside it'll just be the neighbours on either side so I can time training for when they're at work/gone out etc

• Advertisement

thanks for all the useful posts and special thanks to Magenta :) the way I see it is I dont judge or rip into others here If I think I have something that might help I'll politely say it. And to clear it all up the dog barks when alone inside or out its not from bordum its because we have him since he was 7 weeks old (2 years ago) and he has always had our attention its just when we need to go do shopping or visit someone for whatever reason he just hates been left behind (big dogs not always welcome in other peoples houses, what can I do?) So the people who said seperation anxiety were most helpful and I'm looking into the crate training as suggested by a few (which I'v thanked) He spends much of his time with us while were home (with regular toilet brakes) and we bring him lots of places just cant bring him everywhere and since day 1 he's been the centre of the family and comes ahead of our needs at all times so he's got a great life as was said by one post they are a people dog and like been with them at all times. Just when I'm in giving birth it would be great to know he's ok at home (which is going to be the begining of April so wont be freezing-solves the cold issues) He's already well trained in every other way just not when it comes to been alone we started his training from day one and he's always been content and happy by this alone I just want to solve this one thing and because he's quick to learn I expect the crate will be a success. Again thanks for all the helpful posts its much appreciated

thanks for all the useful posts and special thanks to Magenta :)

No problem :) I was bullied in school so I have zero tolerance for people who bully others. Hope it all works out well with your doggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

thanks for all the useful posts and special thanks to Magenta :) the way I see it is I dont judge or rip into others here If I think I have something that might help I'll politely say it. And to clear it all up the dog barks when alone inside or out its not from bordum its because we have him since he was 7 weeks old (2 years ago) and he has always had our attention its just when we need to go do shopping or visit someone for whatever reason he just hates been left behind (big dogs not always welcome in other peoples houses, what can I do?) So the people who said seperation anxiety were most helpful and I'm looking into the crate training as suggested by a few (which I'v thanked) He spends much of his time with us while were home (with regular toilet brakes) and we bring him lots of places just cant bring him everywhere and since day 1 he's been the centre of the family and comes ahead of our needs at all times so he's got a great life as was said by one post they are a people dog and like been with them at all times. Just when I'm in giving birth it would be great to know he's ok at home (which is going to be the begining of April so wont be freezing-solves the cold issues) He's already well trained in every other way just not when it comes to been alone we started his training from day one and he's always been content and happy by this alone I just want to solve this one thing and because he's quick to learn I expect the crate will be a success. Again thanks for all the helpful posts its much appreciated

As well as the crate I'd look into the Canny collar or Dogmatic if you're finding him hard to walk, it's amazing the difference they make for a dog that pulls, you can hopefully walk him and the new baby together with fear of being pulled off your feet. My friend got one for her over-excitable ( but lovely) gun dog and it changed her life.

yea we have gotten a harness that goes around his mouth (not tight he can open it still) and so far its great once he doesnt try get it off too much which sometimes he tries alot.

thanks again Magenta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My fella suffered terrible separation anxiety the first 8 months we had him.
    Crate training helped, he would go to his crate and snooze or take his kong (stuffed with some of his dinner) and happily stay there. Our only problem was when out, he licked the door and floor so much I thought he'd peed, everything was wet, he also whimpered but not loud.
    We left on radios and gave him kongs, started training him for short times, it was easing his anxiety a bit, but what stopped it immediately was getting another dog. I know that won't help you, but the training was working, it was slow but I could see it working.
    I think you should get a proper behaviorist in, give a general location and someone may know one near you.
    I hope you can sort this fast, its stressful enough without a baby thrown in.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

+1 for the crate, mine go nuts when there's visitors and I can get them to run straight into the crate with just one command and throw in a treat. They sit calmly until they are let out again and everybody is happy. One of them adores it so much he brings pretty much every treat he gets in there for eating and he'll potter in and out when the door is open. It's one of his 'safe zones' as he's a rescue and can be a bit nervous at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

+1 for the crate, mine go nuts when there's visitors and I can get them to run straight into the crate with just one command and throw in a treat. They sit calmly until they are let out again and everybody is happy. One of them adores it so much he brings pretty much every treat he gets in there for eating and he'll potter in and out when the door is open. It's one of his 'safe zones' as he's a rescue and can be a bit nervous at times.

Hi borderline,
    Sorry to overtake the thread but i was wondering how you got your fellas to stay in the crate when you had visitors?
    Our fella loves his crate and lies in there 99% of time but wit the door open and sleeps there(door closed)without any issues but if we have visitors he goes mad if we close the crate door, even wit his full Kong wit him. Same if we are sitting in the room without visitors and we close the door just barks like mad and cries. But like i said not a noise out of him when its bedtime. Any ideas or tips?
    We have done the training down to a tee and he like he said he loves his crate. All advice welcome
    Tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

OK, your dog has separation anxiety, and is frightened and lonely when left alone.

Way I dealt with this when my dog was a pup was to have her inside virtually all the time (as she still is); I'd go and leave her alone inside for a short time, and when I came back, if she was barking I'd ignore her (this doesn't mean a huffy attitude, it just means you behave as if there's really no dog there at all). As soon as she quieted down, I gave her treats and petting.

Soon she got used to me going out for a little while - she knew I could go out but I'd be back.

At the time, I was working 12-hour shifts; she was soon able to be alone in the house for the 12 hours - I didn't like this, but didn't have any choice - and then when I'd come home from work I'd bring her for a nice walk.

I'd be very definite about sorting this out now, OP, because if your dog is so you-centred, it's possible that she may be jealous when your baby comes. Your dog needs to be completely secure, know that you are going to take care of her, and know that she has a balanced place in the family.

I also trained my dog - for reasons of health - that she was allowed downstairs, everywhere but the scullery, where it's dangerous to have a dog under your feet when you're turning around in a small place with pots of boiling water or hot pans; she's never been allowed upstairs. She's perfectly happy with this, and is a really nice-natured, happy, secure dog. She's a collie-lab cross, by the way, naturally bossy but now sweet and tolerant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

nemo32 wrote: »
    Hi borderline,
    Sorry to overtake the thread but i was wondering how you got your fellas to stay in the crate when you had visitors?
    Our fella loves his crate and lies in there 99% of time but wit the door open and sleeps there(door closed)without any issues but if we have visitors he goes mad if we close the crate door, even wit his full Kong wit him. Same if we are sitting in the room without visitors and we close the door just barks like mad and cries. But like i said not a noise out of him when its bedtime. Any ideas or tips?
    We have done the training down to a tee and he like he said he loves his crate. All advice welcome
    Tks

Maybe try putting a towel over it to block the view? He should eventually calm down at what he can't see. I use a towel the odd time if one of my visiting dogs need to eat separately or need to rest after his meal for digestion purposes. One in particular would rather play than eat and then when he does eat he wants to play straightaway when he should be resting. I pop him in with his food and pop the towel over so he can't see the fun outside and I leave him there for about an hour to digest his food. He used to complain at the start but he's used to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

Maybe try putting a towel over it to block the view? He should eventually calm down at what he can't see. I use a towel the odd time if one of my visiting dogs need to eat separately or need to rest after his meal for digestion purposes. One in particular would rather play than eat and then when he does eat he wants to play straightaway when he should be resting. I pop him in with his food and pop the towel over so he can't see the fun outside and I leave him there for about an hour to digest his food. He used to complain at the start but he's used to it now.

Tks, we have tried this aswell but wit no success. Once he can hear us he just wants to be able to see us and be with us. I think we will just need to persist with it. Hard to get people over to test him when they have to listen to him bark for the whole time :-)

Advertisement