Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnant with a big energetic dog with barking issues

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

my fella loves his bed its a dog bed thats big enough for a great dane and when there is people here even children he will stay in his bed if I tell him stay so all round he's great when told to do something its literally just the crying/barking that I need to solve so were starting to try different things now and were ordering a crate online so will start that ASAP

Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

my fella loves his bed its a dog bed thats big enough for a great dane and when there is people here even children he will stay in his bed if I tell him stay so all round he's great when told to do something its literally just the crying/barking that I need to solve so were starting to try different things now and were ordering a crate online so will start that ASAP

Thanks for all the replies

+1 on the crate aswell, hopefully it will help, your first baby is enough to be dealing with. I have a clingy dog here aswell at the best of times and the barking would really test you. I'm lucky I have no neighbours to hear her but my hubbie is'nt as patient. Most annoying thing is she gets plenty of exercise and attention. Persistance is the trick hopefully. If all fails would you put her into kennells for a week.

oh patience are defo needed for the crying and he has all the attention in the world he's the center of everything like we only ever had him minded 2 nights since we got him we always have him and he's nearly always inside with the exception of us going away. First baby is going to be a big change on its own be nice to settle him. Will think about the kennel maybe when Im going into the hospital keep me from worrying about him when in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Have you started baby training him yet? Putting up baby gates, tapes of crying babies, walking around like an idiot with a baby doll, preferably a crying one. I know it all sounds mad but it is needed. Getting him to leave and not be curious about the baby before it even comes. Better to train with a dummy than a real babs. Also the new equipment like buggy etc. It will be a big change to everyone so best to start it all now so the baby isn't associated with time out of rooms etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Magenta wrote: »
    No problem :) I was bullied in school so I have zero tolerance for people who bully others. Hope it all works out well with your doggy.

Please be advised that insinuating another poster is a "bully" contravenes my mod warning given earlier in the thread. Whilst you might have reason to be annoyed by the way Andreac posted, insinuating that she has bullied anyone is not on, and has prompted a lot of complaints from other posters.
    This is your final warning. No more veiled name-calling, attack the post, not the poster.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

Op would looking into an anxiety vest (like thundershirt) work. There are a couple of threads here on them. Supposed to be helpful for dogs that suffer from seperation anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Op would looking into an anxiety vest (like thundershirt) work. There are a couple of threads here on them. Supposed to be helpful for dogs that suffer from seperation anxiety.

That's a brilliant idea, RubyGirl. Our dog used to be terribly anxious when anyone let off fireworks in the neighbourhood; the Thundershirt calmed her right down.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Have you started baby training him yet? Putting up baby gates, tapes of crying babies, walking around like an idiot with a baby doll, preferably a crying one. I know it all sounds mad but it is needed. Getting him to leave and not be curious about the baby before it even comes. Better to train with a dummy than a real babs. Also the new equipment like buggy etc. It will be a big change to everyone so best to start it all now so the baby isn't associated with time out of rooms etc.

He's been rared with kids and babies its not a problem we have with him. We socialized him with every situation we could since he was a puppy even walking threw large crowds. He's a lot calmer with children than adults.
    Plus I will NEVER leave the baby and him alone even though I have the fullest confidence in him (maternal instincts)

As for thundershirt Im keen to find out what they are and Im sure as hell gonna get one if they work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

He's been rared with kids and babies its not a problem we have with him. We socialized him with every situation we could since he was a puppy even walking threw large crowds. He's a lot calmer with children than adults.
    Plus I will NEVER leave the baby and him alone even though I have the fullest confidence in him (maternal instincts)

That's brilliant :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

As for thundershirt Im keen to find out what they are and Im sure as hell gonna get one if they work

I find it works really well with my guy - eg he was very afriad of traffic last year when we started walking again after an operation and it made a big difference in claiming him - I was worried about him pulling so much (he doesn't normally pull) in case he hurt the leg. Around Halloween he broke his dew claw one weekend so I decided to chance the thundershirt in the vets since we wouldn't be seeing our own vet and I knew he'd be afriad - again he was much calmer in the waitin room - normally he cries to go home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The time of greatest danger is when children are between 18 months and seven, when dogs that may have been kind and protective towards them can see them as a challenge.

Thundershirt http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thundershirt-Best-Solution-Anxiety-XLarge/dp/B003RAXHTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355058383&sr=8-2 or you can get them in Breffni pet shop in Windy Arbour, near Dundrum, if you're in Dublin.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80448527

Here's a good thread on it, if you type in thunder shirt in the search bar above it will throw up a few thread's on it.

Advertisement