Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

generator

Options
  • 06-12-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

i have to wire up an old three phase genny there was a control panel on it but someone gutted it.all i have is three wires in connecters (phases) i also have a wire coming out of the gen bolted on to the frame which looks like an earth
    my question is can i use the earth connection as a neutral terminal as i assume its connected to the star point

thanks marknjb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

marknjb wrote: »
    i have to wire up an old three phase genny there was a control panel on it but someone gutted it.all i have is three wires in connecters (phases) i also have a wire coming out of the gen bolted on to the frame which looks like an earth
    my question is can i use the earth connection as a neutral terminal as i assume its connected to the star point

thanks marknjb
    have you tried testing to see if it's the star point

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

could not start it no battery. just thought it would have to be connected to it like in a ordinary supply

could not start it no battery. just thought it would have to be connected to it like in a ordinary supply
    with an ohmeter?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

just thought it would have to be connected to it like in a ordinary supply

Not necessarily.

What are you planning to do with it?
    If you are connecting it to an installation that is neutralized will the neutralizing link that is part of the installation be in circuit? Or will it be switched out of circuit when the generator is connected? When the generator is in circuit there should be no more than one neutralizing point.

its just being used to run a 3 phase stake pealer in a farmers yard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

its just being used to run a 3 phase stake pealer in a farmers yard
    So this would be a stand alone installation electrically separate to everything else?

yes it is stand alone .i did not check any thing with a meter as i was just passing in the car at night and just called in to see what i needed it was also pissing rain

I would think that the generator should be neutralized at the star point and this should be connected to a descent earth electrode. However this is not really my area. I am working with a few people that would be considered experts in this field. If I get a chance I will ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

With a stand alone generator powering a stand alone machine, there should be no need of an earth rod.

What rules and regulations say, may be another matter.

if i want to connect something 220 v to this machine eg. contactor coil can i use the earth connection

• Advertisement

if i want to connect something 220 v to this machine eg. contactor coil can i use the earth connection

If has a line voltage of 380VAC then it will be 220VAC between neutral and any phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    If has a line voltage of 380VAC then it will be 220VAC between neutral and any phase.

Im sure 400v/230v will be fine. I think the question is more asking can the earth wire be connected as neutral.

With someone after stripping the control board off the generator, it would probably be wise to test it and check it out properly to see whats what with it.

I think those gennys are wired in 5core
    tn-s
    contactor coil you can use 380/400 obviously if thats all you need the neutral for

need to wire timers as well

Advertisement