Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some tips for a safety razor newbie please...

Options
  • 07-12-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

So after reading this forum and another thread on the gentleman's club a while ago I converted from using a Braun electric razor to a wet shave.

Initially I started off using a cream (I'm using a Proraso cream at them moment which I like) and a proraso pre and post shave. I decided to use a Gillette Fusion razor to start with as I had never used a razor before and didn't want to jump into a safety razor.

I'm now using a badger brush, proraso pre and post shave with a Gillette razor.

I think I'll go for a safety razor now. I would really appreciate your advice on which safety razor to start with and I suppose more importantly which blades to start with. I suppose a closed comb razor is probably the way to go - I was thinking of something along the lines of a Muhle R106?

When it comes to blades I'm totally lost!

Also, should I get some sort of stick to use when I start using the safety razor? I was also considering getting the Proraso razor burn repair - would this be of any advantage over the current Proraso pre and post shaving cream I'm using? I tend to get some razor burn, although it is improving.

Finally, I was watching Skyfall recently and noticed that Daniel Craig had an amazing lather when he was shaving - should people normally get that type of lather? My lather isn't nearly as good!!

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

For razors, your best bet would probably be to look at a few of the starter kits on www.shaving.ie. Even if you don't want the other stuff in the kit you can take a look at what razors are offered with them as they tend to contain razors that are good for people new to wetshaving, ie they represent a good balance between quality and price and usually won't be too aggressive. I use a Muhle R89 and I really like it.

As for blades, definitely get yourself a sampler pack. Blades are a really subjective thing and different people will have completely different experiences with them so you need to try a few brands yourself.

As for lather, it probably has the steepest learning curve IMO, I had pretty good lathers with a boar brush but now I've moved to a badger and am having to readjust to it. I think trial and error is the only way to go, one shave your lather is too weak and runny so next time you add a little less water; next time maybe it's too dry, so in future you add a little more water etc.

I wouldn't take Bond movies as a goal to work towards though. You'll probably never be able to survive being shot with a sniper rifle and falling off a moving train, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

For razors, your best bet would probably be to look at a few of the starter kits on www.shaving.ie. Even if you don't want the other stuff in the kit you can take a look at what razors are offered with them as they tend to contain razors that are good for people new to wetshaving, ie they represent a good balance between quality and price and usually won't be too aggressive. I use a Muhle R89 and I really like it.

As for blades, definitely get yourself a sampler pack. Blades are a really subjective thing and different people will have completely different experiences with them so you need to try a few brands yourself.

As for lather, it probably has the steepest learning curve IMO, I had pretty good lathers with a boar brush but now I've moved to a badger and am having to readjust to it. I think trial and error is the only way to go, one shave your lather is too weak and runny so next time you add a little less water; next time maybe it's too dry, so in future you add a little more water etc.

I wouldn't take Bond movies as a goal to work towards though. You'll probably never be able to survive being shot with a sniper rifle and falling off a moving train, either.

Cheers for the reply.

Re the being shot by a sniper rifle - sure that's just a normal days work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

As for lather, it probably has the steepest learning curve IMO..

A good lather might be out of your reach through no fault of your own. Hard water means you'll get so so results, really depends how hard the water is.

Yet, the same technique/cream, when visiting/staying somewhere else, with soft water, might get amazing results.

Amalgam wrote: »
    A good lather might be out of your reach through no fault of your own. Hard water means you'll get so so results, really depends how hard the water is.

Yet, the same technique/cream, when visiting/staying somewhere else, with soft water, might get amazing results.

Cheers,

Anyone have any other tips for starting to shave with a safety razor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

My advice would be to take your time and slow down with your shave when you first start out. Sounds obvious but it's important.

You'll gain speed using the razor as you get more comfortable with it.

So just take your time and try to relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Get your routine down and make no changes for the first 100 shaves, just work on technique.

I'm now using a safety razor and overall I'm very happy with it.

Just one further question - generally speaking how long do you from a blade?

It depends really. Different blades seemed to last me different amounts of time.

I think in the end before I switched to straight razors I was using each blade for 3 or 4 shaves and then changing the blade.

Ok I'm after shaving there an have a bit of an issue.

For the first few shaves the results were great, I was getting almost baby smooth results. Then today I just didn't get the same results at all.

I tried new blades, relathering etc... but just didn't seem to be able to get a baby smooth result. The result I have isn't bad in that I have a tight shave with no razor burn. The problem is that come tomorrow evening I'll be getting a bit stubbly!

Any suggestions/opinions?

Erh.... Shave tomorrow evening, maybe???

Did you try a different blade type or was it the same as what you got a really good shave from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement