Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greedy Dog

• 07-12-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Have my dog a shih-tzu for over a year now and have never experienced
    such a food orientated dog in my life.
    I have 3 other shih-tzus and they are happy with their 2 meals a day
    plus treats.
    He has snapped a burger out of my sons hand and in the process bit his hand
    and caused it to bleed.
    He is always at the bin trying to get whatever he can.

He eats so fast that on occassions he vomits it all up undigested.
    He never chews just swallows,he is like a gannet :)
    If you are eating he climbs up beside you,and does his best to get his head in the plate. I have never had a greedy dog like him and I have had a lot.
    Feed him on IAMS Bakers and Hills Science Plus made no difference
    to his appetite.
    Any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You can get special bowls to slow down their eating to stop throwing up, they have a ball or something like that in the middle so the can't just gobble it down straight away so it might be worth looking into something like that. Does he know the leave it command? That could also be something that could be worked on to help prevent food snatching!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you had him tested for the likes of EPI? Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?

I once had a dog who was undiagnosed with it rip the door off an oven to get at the food cooking inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My lhasa apso is greedy too. She can't walk past the bin without smelling it or trying to tip it over to eat whatever scraps might be in there.

The other night I was eating a sandwich and she snatched it out of my hand! Maybe they are just greedy dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

My mums dog is the same. Shes a rescue dog so being in that environment may have caused this behaviour. In saying that shes been rehomed now for 5 years and still the same :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you had him tested for the likes of EPI? Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?

I once had a dog who was undiagnosed with it rip the door off an oven to get at the food cooking inside.

It'd do no harm to get him checked for EPI or other malabsorption problems op. Being greedy is one thing, but your fella sounds like his voracious appetite has crossed the lines of normality! Does he eat non-food items too, like tissues, poop, wrappers etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement