Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making new friends at 25?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some views or suggestions.

I'm a 25 year old guy and feel that my close circle of friends and myself have really nothing at all in common. A group of people all around 25/26, mostly guys and a few girls. Known some since secondary school and some since college. The problem is all they do, or want to do is drink like mad Fri-Sun and maybe once or twice during the week.

That's it, no dinners, no cinema, no activities, just mindless boozing and the same conversations over and over. I want to get out and get more active with people, other stuff not involving drinking as I'm sick to death of it and the cost builds up. I've just broken up with my girlfriend too so feeling quite isolated at the minute, I also work with no one my own age, all old guys.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

Well it's never to late to make new friends, I suppose you could join a club or take a class. If you were intrested in having dinners maybe you could do a cullinary class in which you could suggest to people doing the class ye could host ye're own come dine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The easiest time to make friends is during your teens when you are at school and college, but then people pair off, go away to work, or settle into a routine and a lot of people find themselves in your situation of suddenly needing new friends.

It is more difficult to make new friends as you get older, but can be done. The only way to do it though is to put yourself out there and meet people. Have a look at what kind of clubs and groups are around you and see whether you would be interested in any of them. Go to a meeting and see what is happening. It will take a while to get involved and get to know people, but it is the only way!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I feel like I'm in the same boat myself. I feel like most of my friends and I have drifted apart since we left college. They go out all the time, just to drink and try to get drunk. No change of scenery, ever. They have the same conversations about the same people and things that we had in college. That's honestly not really my idea of a good time, the same thing every weekend. As a result I've stopped going out with them regularly and we've just grown apart.

It's so hard to meet like-minded people, or even just people who like a bit of variety from the norm. I love the cinema, and going to the theatre, or even just browsing a museum on the odd weekend, but if it doesn't involve drinking and a pub they don't want to know about it. Very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I can only suggest meetup.com and hope you find it as helpful as I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

looksee wrote: »
    It is more difficult to make new friends as you get older.

Couldn't disagree more. I'm in my late 30's and find it far easier to make friends now then I ever did as a teen or in college.

OP if you've nothing in common with your friends then get out there and make connections with people who do share the same interests as you. The only way your getting to change your circle of friends is to expand out of the circle by doing other things other then drinking.

Might be worth mentioning to some of your current friends that your going to go to the cinema or do some other activity rather then just drinking. You might find one or two of them is up for it but just got themselves into a rut drinking every weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 paulap

keep yourself open to new experiances, even if they seem like way out there or something you wouldnt enjoy you might surprise yourself:)
    best of luck

Advertisement