Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2013.

Options
  • 07-12-2012 9:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

At it is now traditional to open Winter forecasting threads in June then so shall it be that Summer threads appear in December.

My thoughts are that as we are approaching a fairly insipid Solar Maximum that the signs augur badly for a summer that will be any different to 2012.

Of course someone may pull an auspicious set of Oscillations and Teleconnections out of a hat, hopefully ones I never heard about, to prove Sponge Bob wrong at long range. That would be nice.

Bring on the summer. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    At it is now traditional to open Winter forecasting threads in June then so shall it be that Summer threads appear in December.

My thoughts are that as we are approaching a fairly insipid Solar Maximum that the signs augur badly for a summer that will be any different to 2012.

Of course someone may pull an auspicious set of Oscillations and Teleconnections out of a hat, hopefully ones I never heard about, to prove Sponge Bob wrong at long range. That would be nice.

Ah now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

talkabout wrote: »
    Ah now!

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing !!

Poor Bob, he does love the warmth !

Anyway, I am going for a 3 month heatwave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Couldnt agree more! Hate this winter - ground is frozen ****e. Im a golfer and i need my fix dammit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How about "winter rules" being lifted in early March to start things off for you Ricky and not a single plugged ball from then till late October. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I wonder will we get anybody in here posting about the signs of nature that will indicate if it is going to be a warm/wet/cold/cloudy summer??

Nature and its signs seem to only predict bad winters :D

Actually I remember there was a guy a few years ago who used to "predict" the weather, by looking at what dolphins and bees were doing. He has been eclipsed by the postman now though.

• Advertisement

Spindle wrote: »
    I wonder will we get anybody in here posting about the signs of nature that will indicate if it is going to be a warm/wet/cold/cloudy summer??

Birds falling fropm the sky = sign of a heatwave !

How about "winter rules" being lifted in early March to start things off for you Ricky and not a single plugged ball from then till late October. :D

That would be amazing! Can you make it happen ? I would be very grateful!

t|nt|n wrote: »

Birds falling fropm the sky = sign of a heatwave !

I'll be spending my entire summer watching the trees so :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That would be amazing! Can you make it happen ? I would be very grateful!

I can't Ricky. You must WILL it to make it happen. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Actually I remember there was a guy a few years ago who used to "predict" the weather, by looking at what dolphins and bees were doing. He has been eclipsed by the postman now though.

If the ash is out before the oak, you're sure to get a soak.
    If the oak is out before the ash, you will only get a splash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Min wrote: »
    If the ash is out before the oak, you're sure to get a soak.
    If the oak is out before the ash, you will only get a splash.

For the first time ever that I recall, oak trees around us were in full leaf when the ashes were only getting started this year - usuallly, they're coming into leaf at exactly the same time. I think the summer that followed can be relied upon as reasonable evidence that at least in North Kildare, that particular piece of traditional wisdom can be discarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

gothwalk wrote: »
    For the first time ever that I recall, oak trees around us were in full leaf when the ashes were only getting started this year - usuallly, they're coming into leaf at exactly the same time. I think the summer that followed can be relied upon as reasonable evidence that at least in North Kildare, that particular piece of traditional wisdom can be discarded.

+1

Yes the ashes were very late to leaf this year.

Maybe it's back to the frogs and where they lay their spawn.
    In deep pools only is a good sign, the poor auld frogs can't remember the last time they did this.

gothwalk wrote: »

I gave the more common version, my father's version is:

If the oak is out before the ask, you're sure to get a splash.
    If the ask is out before the oak, you're sure to get a stroke.

As in sun stroke...

Hang on, the prefix is Model / Technical !!

Sooo.......

:D

archives-2006-7-18-12-0.png

archives-1887-6-26-12-0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

roll on the warm summer evenings sitting in leopardstown racecourse with the warm breeze on your back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Do I need to start the prep now? Should I be organising Summer Tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

archives-1995-8-2-0-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Procyon

Don't you people realise how little hardship sunny weather would cause people?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

BORING :pac:

• Advertisement

catch.23 wrote: »
    archives-1995-8-2-0-0.png

That was some summer, most days that month in Kilkenny were around 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The well ran dry, the water in the cows water troughs was too warm and gave them legionaires disease, they then starved because all the grass turned brown and died, the milk trucks couldn't get to the farm because the tarmac melted....................

;)

All joking aside, I ended up watching a country Vet series on one of the discovery channels a while back. 70 year old french vet in the US for decades. During the heatwaves the cows were getting twisted guts from gas build up caused by the heat. Flu like sypmtoms too. He'd have to reposition the gut and then from the outside stick a big sowing needle and thread in to the abdomen and sow the stomach to the abdomen wall to stop it floating back up out of position. Ended up watching the whole series through the coaurse of the day. No faming background but found it all very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

That was some summer, most days that month in Kilkenny were around 30C.

27 days in KK above 25C, max of 30.8 recorded on the day of that chart above, according to met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

children cold aah lovley cold ha ha ha

Calibos wrote: »
    The well ran dry, the water in the cows water troughs was too warm and gave them legionaires disease, they then starved because all the grass turned brown and died, the milk trucks couldn't get to the farm because the tarmac melted....................

;)

All joking aside, I ended up watching a country Vet series on one of the discovery channels a while back. 70 year old french vet in the US for decades. During the heatwaves the cows were getting twisted guts from gas build up caused by the heat. Flu like sypmtoms too. He'd have to reposition the gut and then from the outside stick a big sowing needle and thread in to the abdomen and sow the stomach to the abdomen wall to stop it floating back up out of position. Ended up watching the whole series through the coaurse of the day. No faming background but found it all very interesting.

Back then we had one well and we had to ration the water from that for milking and the house. We had to draw water to the cattle, we put in a new well that year, decided after 3 months of little to no rain it was a good time to look for a new well.
    Now we have three wells, I like warm weather, with an odd thunderstorm now and again to wate the grass.

I have seen cattle early in the year - late March/April when let out and if the weather turned warm, they would not be use to it and some would be near panting, probably due to having their winter coats still on. They cope a lot better in the summer heat once they have enough water and shade.
    Be nice to have some summer heat and then a thunderstorm or two, nothing too wet...we had enough of that.

We should surely have a drier summer than what we had for a so called summer this. June will be hard to beat and a bit warmer too.
    A bit of blocking and some nice easterlies off a warm continent would be lovely.
    The snow bunnies would be going mad, wishing it was winter :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

There should be a little give and take... I will support a scorching hot summer if we can have a severely cold, massively snowy prolonged event this winter. It's only fair

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

maw368 wrote: »
    There should be a little give and take... I will support a scorching hot summer if we can have a severely cold, massively snowy prolonged event this winter. It's only fair

This isn't a good part of the world for weather extremes.

But then again, if they weren't as rare, they wouldn't be as interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A common fallacy, Cold predictions get more paper and air time that's why its seems like he only predicts bad winters. The Postman predicted a Mild winter last year and the Postman does give predictions for summers also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A bit of blocking and some nice easterlies off a warm continent would be lovely.

Here in the west, the biggest storms come from the east in Summer. None of your watered down, inept Polar Maritime tripe. I means the real thing. :) Deep easterlies, you can't bate 'em.

tumblr_m8wykn2jjm1qjhilfo1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Just heard Ken Ring in Newstalk predicting a long hot summer. 18 year cycle no doubt. We all remember 1995. Hope he is right for once ;)

Advertisement