Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminids

Options
  • 07-12-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

With just some days to go, its a good time to be reminded of one of the best celestial shows of the year, the Geminids. And I had a timely reminder this morning about 6:45 waiting for the train along the beach in Wicklow, when not one but two meteors flashed by Venus. Beautiful site. The morning sky is amazing these days, Jupiter, the moon, Mercury, Venus and Saturn all visible. Its also good being able to explain to other people on the train platform, when they say to each other, whats that 'star' over there!!! :)
    Anyway...
    Here's a decent article, 10 tips for watching the Geminids...
    http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/ten-tips-for-watching-the-geminid-meteor-shower

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Good article, hopefully we get a clear evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

The forecast looks great for clear skies, cold though but I'll be watching with my mate Jack Daniels!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Tonight looks to be the clearest night for the next few. COLD but clear. Worth venturing out with the camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Tonight looks to be the clearest night for the next few. COLD but clear. Worth venturing out with the camera?

Where are you getting the cloud cover forecast Iancar? Might head out this evening too but no idea where to escape the light pollution....Dublin mountains?

keith16 wrote: »
    Where are you getting the cloud cover forecast Iancar? Might head out this evening too but no idea where to escape the light pollution....Dublin mountains?

I use the paid for service on Net Weather .tv as my main interest is Meteorology but ye here's the met's one http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-atlantic.asp .

Sadly i dont drive so it will either be just out my back or i might be lucky to get the bro to drive up towards St.Margarets for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TheZestyLemon

Yeah lads, not looking good weather wise. There's a rain due coming in from the east, it'll be there for a while.

Can someone tell me though, is it the night of the 13th til the morning of the 14th or the 14th to the 15th? I've heard different things from different people.

According to the rather excellent Skynotes thread it's the evening of the 13th for the peak, though they should be slowly building towards then. I've been freezing my gizzard off the last few nights and haven't seen one - I'm optimistic though so looking forward to a lovely spectacle - and a break in the clouds - any night now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Set your alarm for 11 p.m. ET on Thursday, as that's when the Geminid meteor shower peaks. It could deliver dozens (or even hundreds) of visible meteors per hour until about 3 a.m. on December 14. Keep your eyes (and scopes) toward the constellation Gemini for the best view of the shiny shower.
    Related stories

What causes the Geminids? The consensus among astronomers indicates that the light show originates from the remnants of an extinct comet known as 3200 Phaethon. The unusual object 3.2 miles in diameter once contained ice and the usual components of a comet, but gradually shed many of those features due to its extremely close orbit with the sun (it gets even closer than Mercury). However, some astronomers remain on the fence about the specific details of the Geminid shower's origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Lovely clear night now in the Midlands ...

I looked up in the Southern sky at 00.37 and by 00.45 I had seen 10 meteors.

That's a pretty decent shower.

Bloody cold though ....

Hopefully tomorrow will be clear again after midnight.

'Nite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

i am interested in this =] look amazing

so i just go outside, l@@k up at the sky around 11pm

Tonight unfortunately doesnt look good at all for star gazing, a large front moving in off the atlantic will bring cloud to pretty much all areas by 10pm or so , those in the NE MIGHT get an hour or so in before the horribleness rolls in.

PS This will also bring alot of rain and wind come sunrise!

BUT ... 2moro , as the front clears off to the NE the sky should clear for most of the night ! :D

232565.png

WHOS EXCITED?! :D

tumblr_mef2kuMGA41qefvyko1_500.gif

i WAS untel i heard this bad news, i wanted to see it tonight with my girlfriend and she is working tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

No hope tonight in the Dublin area so?

Thecon21 wrote: »
    No hope tonight in the Dublin area so?

and limerick county

Nope , sorry lads, no hope tonight at all.

http://www.sat24.com/

Feck sake :(

Looks like a good chance of clear skies later tonight - fingers crossed! (eyes crossed too if I start on the JD early enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

If you see my post above from Wed night/Thurs morning, one day before the peak, there was quite a high rate of meteors, so if it's clear tonight it still should be pretty good.

Bring out the deckchair, sleeping bag, quilt, coats, hat, gloves, hip flask, some time after midnight and enjoy ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Did any of you actually believe that a fortnight of clear frosty nights wouldn't end on the night of the geminid peak?? You lot haven't been doing astronomy in this country very long have you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Calibos wrote: »
    Did any of you actually believe that a fortnight of clear frosty nights wouldn't end on the night of the geminid peak?? You lot haven't been doing astronomy in this country very long have you. :D

Yep. Clouds, clouds and more clouds! :mad:

Ah yes to the nay sayers but I'm lucky as anything lately so you may all get a rub of it later on - trust me! I foresee a great spectacle (in Newcastle anyway, the axis of luck)
    btw, as we're on winter time does that make it 23h instead of midnight for that 'after midnight' effect?

LOL at the weather lastnight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Awful weather. Cloudy wet and then foggy.

I have missed the last 3 meteor showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Starting to see some breaks in the cloud cover. Tiny breaks but breaks none the less.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Once again , use sat views for hope folks! :)

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Its looking good , probably not 100% clear but it looks like ill be happy from what i see .

will there still be two every minute

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

will there still be two every minute
    Its clear now in the south east. so which direction am i to look. i saw one earlier passing under Jupiter. but am i supposed to be looking north west.

• Advertisement

Yes, you're too look north east towards the Gemini constellation. Considering Jupiter isn't too far off from Gemini you're looking in the right place.

Advertisement