Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW 16 Matchday Thread

• 07-12-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Normally double GW's dominate but this one isn't really much of a thriller... Like myself, a lot of people will be concerned with whether Fletcher plays or not. I brought him in mainly to captain this week, and if he was guaranteed to play both games I still would. Will be relying on early reports tomorrow morning if I can drag myself out of bed. Luckily living in Spain I have an hour extra on you lot :)

Bringing Bale in last week for Mata at a 4 point hit was a massive disaster, and it doesn't help that he'll miss at least the next two games. If Fletcher doesn't play and Rafael is dropped (as expected) I'll be struggling with the bare 11, and that's if Tevez starts!

f5bg1.jpg

Injury News

Arsenal
    Wenger rules Walcott, Podolski, Sagna, Koscielny and Santos out of Arsenal's home clash with West Brom http://goo.gl/T5HUj

Fulham
    Kacaniklic back for Fulham, while Davies returns to training http://goo.gl/SYG4r
    Sascha Riether has a minor knee strain ahead of Mondays game with Newcastle on Monday http://goo.gl/sM2Eq
    Martin Jol reveals Bryan Ruiz has suffered a hamstring injury setback and is expected to be out for 4 more weeks http://goo.gl/YDqL4

Liverpool
    Steven Gerrard missed Liverpool's Europa League trip to Udinese due to illness http://goo.gl/mWrAZ

Man United
    Nani and Valencia out for "a few weeks". Cleverley faces scan. Vidic & Kagawa should return for GW17 match v Sunderland http://goo.gl/DIrUl

QPR
    Harry Redknapp reveals Julio Cesar is the only doubt for QPR, though his groin injury is "not too bad" http://goo.gl/3IWsF

Reading
    Pogrebnyak a weekend doubt for Reading. Guthrie is available, while Kebe is unlikely to make Southampton match http://goo.gl/P6pZL

Southampton
    Gaston Ramirez set to return to Southampton tomorrow, having been away on compassionate leave all week http://goo.gl/6HBsO

Spurs
    The Times report that Bale's scan showed the injury was close to a grade two tear and suggest he'll be out until Stoke clash on December 22. AVB quotes on official site indicate that Stoke clash is a more realistic target for Bale's return http://tinyurl.com/c9w6ojn
    Parker and Assou-Ekotto could return for Gameweek 17 match with Swansea http://goo.gl/MeexJ

Stoke
    Tony Pulis hopeful of Peter Crouch return this weekend. Also expects Cameron Jerome (ankle) to be fit http://goo.gl/PesvH

Sunderland
    Wes Brown edging towards a return to training for Sunderland http://goo.gl/aI5m5

Swansea
    Hernandez still a doubt for Swansea. Routledge looks set to return, while Vorm remains out of squad for weekend http://goo.gl/A0YfP

West Brom
    Ben Foster remains out for West Brom but may return next weekend http://goo.gl/xi5sg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I have a decision to make regarding my transfer but I won't bore ye.
    I've also to decide between Begovic(Villa away) and Tremmel(Norwich home)for my goalie spot, what do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Also to add, I realise this threads a day early but with its good to have the injury news at the start of this thread so people can make decisions tomorrow morning...

On that note, Ben Arfa also looks to be back in time for the Fulham match - goo.gl/6sKfm

Also finally some news on Fletcher - O'Neill to make "late decision" on Fletcher & will gauge how player reacts to ankle injections. O'Shea back in training http://goo.gl/3Dh2I

@Swiper - Begovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bale and Walcott injured.

defenders away at Everton and Arsenal.

having to play 4-3-3.

Tevez a rotation risk.

i think i might be a Sad Panda by the time this GW finishes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Cheers for the info Rory. Fletcher is a concern for me also.... the need for ankle injections doesn't sound very promising.

I think I'll be leaving the armband off him anyway. Even if he does play tomorrow I think Chelsea will dominate possession and chances for Fletch will be scarce. I'd nearly rather that he's rested until the Reading game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Injuries to Bale and Walcott and Suarez suspended mean I'll be playing 5-3-2 and hoping Gorkss gets a few minutes in at least one of the matches.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Injuries to Bale and Walcott and Suarez suspended mean I'll be playing 5-3-2 and hoping Gorkss gets a few minutes in at least one of the matches.

are you finding it at all difficult to resist a 4 point hit?

i slightly am.

Surely a 4 point hit makes sense if you are very concerned about having 11 players scoring points? No??

SlickRic wrote: »

are you finding it at all difficult to resist a 4 point hit?

i slightly am.

I'm not to be honest. The only players I want to change are from the 11 that are playing so I see no sense in it.

I could change Gorkks but having seen Reading let in 4 last week I'm hoping he may be recalled.

And clean sheets are so few and far between I can't see the benefit of risking the hit to change him.

Surely a 4 point hit makes sense if you are very concerned about having 11 players scoring points? No??

i have 12 players who can play, so there really is no point.

i'd only be transferring out Bale or Walcott, because no defence is a guaranteed clean sheet that i don't already have covered.

transferring out Bale or Walcott for the sake of a GW or 2, at the cost of 4 points that I'm not at all guaranteed to get back, would be a bit silly. there's just something about 2 injuries to key players on your bench that makes you want to pull the trigger.

i have 12 players who can play, so there really is no point.

i'd only be transferring out Bale or Walcott, because no defence is a guaranteed clean sheet that i don't already have covered.

transferring out Bale or Walcott for the sake of a GW or 2, at the cost of 4 points that I'm not at all guaranteed to get back, would be a bit silly. there's just something about 2 injuries to key players on your bench that makes you want to pull the trigger.

I thought lemlin was saying that he was relying on Gorkks to play to have 11 on the field at the weekend, seems not. It seems when you have the oppurtunity of replacing a premium priced player like Bale and can pick anyone you want you would be hopeful of picking up 4 points at least, a risk of course but if you are only scoring from 10 players otherwise it seems like it must be worth a gamble.

To the great and the good on here, do ye think Enrique will play full back at the weekend or a more advanced role? If I knew for sure it would make up my mind for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

To the great and the good on here, do ye think Enrique will play full back at the weekend or a more advanced role? If I knew for sure it would make up my mind for me.

I think he'll continue to play in a forward role, he's attacking really well and has been very unlucky not to have scored more (had a goal disallowed and a cracking shot saved in the last few games).

Not looking good for City atm, think there will definitely be over 3.5 goals in this game.

Man City
    Mancini "will try" to have Silva ready for United game. Clichy and Milner doubts, Kolarov out http://goo.gl/M1L6T

I thought lemlin was saying that he was relying on Gorkks to play to have 11 on the field at the weekend, seems not. It seems when you have the oppurtunity of replacing a premium priced player like Bale and can pick anyone you want you would be hopeful of picking up 4 points at least, a risk of course but if you are only scoring from 10 players otherwise it seems like it must be worth a gamble.

no way of knowing for sure.

i personally think he'll be LB, with Suso ahead of him, but you just don't know.

if i was manager, i'd play Wisdom RB, Johnson LB, and have Enrique on the wing, but as i say, it just depends on how Rodgers sees it. hopefully he sees a West Ham team that aren't going to scythe through us (one of Wisdom's weaknesses is he gets caught flat footed against tricky players), so the bulk of Wisdom might be helpful. if Wisdom plays, Enrique will be LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Back from my 4 day break. What have I missed?

Bale is crocked? Did his price plummet?

Enriques days of playing in the front 3 are over?

Anything else?

I am relying on Gorkss to play to have 11 but, like I said, I don't think it's worth a 4 point hit to take him out for the reasons outlined above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If Fellaini is essentially playing as a striker these days? (I'm going by word of mouth here don't get a chance to watch all the matches) can FF change him into a striker, or is he locked into midfield for the season?

BroLo wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If Fellaini is essentially playing as a striker these days? (I'm going by word of mouth here don't get a chance to watch all the matches) can FF change him into a striker, or is he locked into midfield for the season?

He's locked into midfield for the season. Most players get changed the following season e.g. Coleman started out listed a defender and was changed to midfielder the following season.

Jon Walters has been getting away with it for years though and I think Fellaini will too.

I am relying on Gorkss to play to have 11 but, like I said, I don't think it's worth a 4 point hit to take him out for the reasons outlined above.

Jaysus, that's a very conservative attitude altogether, you have Bale, Walcott and Suarez out? you can bring in any player you want, I understand it's part of your long term plan but I would certainly differ, each to their own!

Jaysus, that's a very conservative attitude altogether, you have Bale, Walcott and Suarez out? you can bring in any player you want, I understand it's part of your long term plan but I would certainly differ, each to their own!

What's the point of taking a 4 point hit now to take out Bale or Walcott to use another transfer getting them back in next week or the week after?

I want to keep my transfers for changing Tevez and reorganising my defence.

All three players I have out will probably only miss this Gameweek. All three are also part of my long term strategy.

What's the point of taking a 4 point hit now to take out Bale or Walcott to use another transfer getting them back in next week or the week after?

I want to keep my transfers for changing Tevez and reorganising my defence.

All three players I have out will probably only miss this Gameweek. All three are also part of my long term strategy.

I get that, just saying that I would find it impossible to resist bringing in a big player with potential and likelihood to score well over four points, I wonder who most people would agree with, you I presume, can't remember the last time anyone agreed with me on this forum:o:p

It also looks like Bale will miss at least 2 games.

Gorkks to Shorey could actually be worth a 4 point hit in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'm leaving myself very open to being affected by a bad United result against City. I have Evra and Rafael in defence, and RVP captain.

I don't see either team keeping a clean sheet, but Rafael could be played as a winger, or dropped, and Evra has assist potential the way he's been playing recently.

Hard enough to know how it's going to pan out. could be a disaster, or brilliant, but probably somewhere in the middle...

a good policy IMO is not to take a hit unless the player you're bringing in is part of a longer term strategy.

points hits for short term gains are very, very risky.

you're going to get a lot of eejits taking points hits to bring in Sunderland and Reading players this week. i guarantee you most of them will be transferred back out over the following 2/3 weeks. if that.

so you're taking 4 points to get them in now, then at least 4 points i'd imagine to get them back out, depending on the state of the rest of the team. that means that player will have to score over 10 points to justify it, taking into account the player being taken out in the first place will probably at least score 2 (4+4+2).

it'd be another thing is Van Persie, Tevez, Ba or whoever had a DGW. then i'd definitely consider strongly taking a points hit if i needed to, because i could work them into a long term strategy.

it's unlikely those bringing in Sessegnon, Johnson, Le Fondre or whoever have a long term strategy with them. that's just my opinion.

i'm only thinking of Smalling
    > Shorey because Smalling is a rotation risk who will not play every week, and pretty much definitely not this GW. having him in the first place was a stopgap as an alternative to Rafael while Evans was injured...and Shorey is a very good, long term cheap defender.

you have to be careful. points hits for DGW players aren't always as attractive as they seem. i've been screwed in the past.

a good policy IMO is not to take a hit unless the player you're bringing in is part of a longer term strategy.

points hits for short term gains are very, very risky.

you're going to get a lot of eejits taking points hits to bring in Sunderland and Reading players this week. i guarantee you most of them will be transferred back out over the following 2/3 weeks. if that.

so you're taking 4 points to get them in now, then at least 4 points i'd imagine to get them back out, depending on the state of the rest of the team. that means that player will have to score over 10 points to justify it, taking into account the player being taken out in the first place will probably at least score 2 (4+4+2).

it'd be another thing is Van Persie, Tevez, Ba or whoever had a DGW. then i'd definitely consider strongly taking a points hit if i needed to, because i could work them into a long term strategy.

it's unlikely those bringing in Sessegnon, Johnson, Le Fondre or whoever have a long term strategy with them. that's just my opinion.

i'm only thinking of Smalling
    > Shorey because Smalling is a rotation risk who will not play every week, and pretty much definitely not this GW. having him in the first place was a stopgap as an alternative to Rafael while Evans was injured...and Shorey is a very good, long term cheap defender.

you have to be careful. points hits for DGW players aren't always as attractive as they seem. i've been screwed in the past.

I wonder has there ever been a double game week with two such rubbish teams, I've never been tempted to bring in any of them, Shorey is probably the only player who I would have an interest in and that would be as an emergency defender, I wouldn't want the hassle of getting rid of them asap.
    I am tempted to take the points hit to replace Bale, probably with Dempsey, that way I can hold onto a guy with potential for goals and assists(Dempsey) until I am certain Bale is back, thats probably at least two gameweeks, I won't be upset if something comes up and I can't do it immediately, i'll still have Dempsey, slightly less potential than Bale but over a game or two who knows, I couldn't be relying on Gorkks as my 11th player, that is for sure.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Gorkks to Shorey could actually be worth a 4 point hit in this situation.

I already transferred Rafael out for Shorey earlier this week.

That was before I knew Walcott was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Want2know

Guys who would you drop for the weekend from the Below???

Midfield: Silva, Fellaini, Nolan, Michu, McAnuff

Forward: Fletcher, V.Persie, Tevez

Want2know wrote: »
    Guys who would you drop for the weekend from the Below???

Midfield: Silva, Fellaini, Nolan, Michu, McAnuff

Forward: Fletcher, V.Persie, Tevez

If you are sure of Fletcher starting on sat and that is why he and McAnuff are there then you have to take your chances with them I suppose, if I had to pick from that I would probably leave out Silva as he is the one who I can't see scoring this or most weekends, good shout for an assist or two maybe, tough call but that's what I'd do, to be honest I wouldn't have Silve in my team at his price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Schwazer at home to Newcastle or Begovic away to Villa?
    Lallana at home to Reading or Walters away to Villa?
    And who to captain? Fellaini/Cazorla/Michu/RVP/Fletcher/Defoe :confused:

I already transferred Rafael out for Shorey earlier this week.

That was before I knew Walcott was injured.
    Ah right. I'd avoid the hit then.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Ah right. I'd avoid the hit then.

My plan exactly. Gorkss will hopefully get a minute in one of the matches at least.

• Advertisement

My plan exactly. Gorkss will hopefully get a minute in one of the matches at least.

That's the spirit, shoot for the stars, that point could well be the difference in may:pac::pac:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

2 starters from Rafael, Sterling, and Shawcross?? Thinking of starting Rafael, United's clean sheet record at the Etihad is actually good, just a bit worried if he doesn't start and comes on as a late sub for a 1 pointer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

manual_man wrote: »
    2 starters from Rafael, Sterling, and Shawcross?? Thinking of starting Rafael, United's clean sheet record at the Etihad is actually good, just a bit worried if he doesn't start and comes on as a late sub for a 1 pointer

I'd bench Rafael.

After much humming and hawing I've just pulled the trigger on the Bale to Dempsey 4 point hit, it pretty much guarantees me a full 11,

I'll be dead a long time:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sterling (WHU A) or Hughes (NEW H)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

top 3 midfielders for this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Michu, Fellaini and probably Sessegnon because of the DGW.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Sterling (WHU A) or Hughes (NEW H)?

Sterling is the safer option IMO. Can't depend on Fulham to keep a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Brought Sess in for Bale on a free transfer. Still have 1 FT left so it's just a one week punt at no loss really. I was losing a transfer regardless. Switched before Bale fell and Sess will net me .1 mil. Thinking of captaining him too. Tomorrow will be my first time using a 3-5-2 this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bought in Le Fondre and captained him for the hell of it. Had 2 transfers and needed to get rid of ba. If it doesnt work out, ship him out for free again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

have 3 DGW players. could work out well :pac:

94515a2b51dbb8aa3c854f4ca62da9a1.png?1354961250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Jaaskelinen or Berkovic in goals who would you pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

go with the home side (jaask)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any word on Fletcher yet lads?? Thinking of bringing LeFondre in for Defoe for the the dgw

None of my subs can play so at least I can't get stung this week by poor selection of my first eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

The captain choices of the top 5 in my ML:

Larsson
    Sessegnon
    Michu (Me)
    Kone!!!
    Mata

Makes things interesting when RVP isn't the obvious choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

First 4 point hit in ages, thought I might juuust scrape through with 11 until Walcott which forced my hand :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

As a Sunderland fan I don't really see the point in getting in too many players for the DGW. Chelsea will more than likely beat us comfortably without us troubling Cech too much and while we'll be favourites for the Reading game we haven't put in one performance this season that makes me confident we'll be good enough to win the game. A cheap-ish defender like Cuellar may be a decent option but I wouldn't bother getting Fletcher, Sessegnon etc in.

Our fixture list is also awful so more than likely you'd need to get them out from next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Brought in Giroud, come on to ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sunderland AFC ‏@SAFCofficial Steven Fletcher is out this afternoon - Connor Wickham starts up front for the Black Cats v Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Double Drat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Teams:

Arsenal (vs WBA): Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Giroud

WBA (vs Arsenal): Myhill; Reid, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Morrison, Mulumbu; Odemwingie, Gera, Brunt; Long

Villa (vs Stoke): Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Clark, Lichaj, Holman, Westwood, Bannan, Herd, Agbonlahor (c), Benteke

Stoke (vs Villa): Begovic, Cameron, Huth, Shawcross, Shotton, Whelan, Nzonzi, Etherington, Whitehead, Jones, Walters

So'ton (vs Reading): K. Davis, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw, Puncheon, Cork, Schneiderlin, Lallana (c), Lambert, Rodriguez

Reading (vs So'ton): Federici, Cummings, Shorey, Mariappa, Morrison, Leigertwood, Tabb, McAnuff (c), Robson-Kanu, Roberts, Le Fondre

Sunderland (vs Chelsea): Mignolet, Bardsley, Rose, O'Shea (c), Cuellar, Larsson, Gardner, Johnson, McClean, Sessegnon, Wickham

Chelsea (vs Sunderland): Cech (c), Ivanovic, Cole, Luiz, Cahill, Romeu, Ramires, Moses, Hazard, Mata, Torres

Swansea (vs Norwich): Tremmel, Rangel, Chico, Williams (c), Davies, de Guzman, Ki, Dyer, Routledge, Michu, Graham

Norwich (vs Swansea): Bunn; R. Martin, Whittaker, Bassong, Garrido; Johnson, Howson, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Hoolahan; Holt

Wigan (vs QPR): Al Habsi, Kone, McCarthy, Jones, Di Santo, Gomez, McArthur, Boyce, Beausejour, Stam, Lopez

QPR (vs Wigan): Green; Traore, Hill, Nelsen, Bosingwa; Taarabt, Mbia, Derry, Diakite; Wright-Phillips; Mackie

• Advertisement
Advertisement