Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just bought an online sex shop any advice?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi guys I just bought an online sex shop comes with stock and everything its dropshipping but has any one at all any advice to get this going good marketing and stuff? thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Test all the gear on yourself first ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

clarbar wrote: »
    Hi guys I just bought an online sex shop comes with stock and everything its dropshipping but has any one at all any advice to get this going good marketing and stuff? thanks

Are you saying that you have bought an online business without any idea or plan as to how you are going to run/develop it? It is trading sucessfully already with existing customers registered? You say stock and then mention dropshipping, two completely different ways of operating.
    Have you in fact just bought a website from the product supplier who will then fulfill your orders? This is not a business yet, it is just a website, when you generate sales it will become a business. Or am I wrong completely?

cheers

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I can't really see the likes of facebook being much good for marketing on this kind of thing:
    "Sandra Likes this vibrator... share with a friend"

You might be better off targeting adult forums or select dating websites or maybe party websites?

This seems a lot different from your last idea of a golden pages website :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

this was just bought on a whim with a family friend :) , I still have the goldenpages website idea but its taking time to do it properly and everything I just want it perfect. Sorry to confuse but I ve seen many adultshops actually advertise on facebook such as ann summers and thelma and lousie sex shop in Limerick. I just wanted any other ideas.

Sorry its dropshipping as to set I ve a deal made with the wholesaler , Its working perfect and everything just want to widen my customer market ,Im researching at the moment but thought why not ask for advice on this.

I know its seedy but still better to be out there starting any business then to be a lazy fecker on the dole and having no ambition :/

Try pinterest and tumblr to get product images and reviews out there.

• Advertisement

Also maybe consider a rebrand. I'd be wary of someone just selling it on like that. Sounds like it's not making money and has no customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Is the business making profit at the moment? Has it got a good customer base?

Going down the fb road I would just be a little bit weary of kids liking the page and posting stupid comments on the page, but it could be well worth trying fb and seeing how it goes. Has it got any fb page at the moment? If your doing fb I would also go with twitter.

Have you got a marketing plan? Where do you plan on marketing? I would get onto a lot of the adult websites and get listed with them. The customers that you have ordering at the moment, keep focusing on them offer discounts if they order again within a set period of time. Get your friends to order off us for an extra discount.

Christmas is almost here, this should be a very good time for the business if you get out there and market it.

What are the long term plans? Is it worth looking at catalog ordering?

Straight away get listed onto sites like vivastreet.ie adoos.ie and all the others that have adult sections.

Rethinking this, it sounds like someone built a site with an affiliate programme feeding products to it and then just sold it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

You often see them on ebay and other quick sale selling areas, with the dropshipping plans forwarded once the sales go through..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Try Google advertising, I guess most people will do a search on google and it's important your shop name is at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

You need to realise that you may well have the best website on the planet but it is no good to you or anyone else unless you get traffic to it....

As for advertising on facebook, you could give it a go, but i would be more likely to try the paid ads on the right hand side, over trying to get new friends on facebook and post these items to your wall....

Google adwords are also very effective, but would be an expensive option unless you target an area in particular....

You are up against the likes of Ann Summers who are huge...

Are your products coming in from outside Europe as if they are they will also need to pay duty on them which I am sure your customers will not like and also they will need to state on the box, what is inside the box if it is being sent to Ireland from outside the EU, which I am sure your friends mother doesn't want the postman to know there is a rampant rabbit being delivered :)

Advertisement