Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it to late to make a Christmas cake?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

I had planned to make my Christmas cake in October but didn't get round to it, the same for November but life got in the way so I am wondering if I made a cake this weekend would it be to late?

If it's not to late would it be ok to still make the normal rich fruit cake and still have time to put almond paste and icing on?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

It will be fine, for extra moistness use a recipe where the fruit is simmered in liquid first, this will get around the short maturing period somewhat. BBC simmer and stir recipe is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Nigella's Xmas cake is an easy one to make and doesn't need to mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

phormium wrote: »
    It will be fine, for extra moistness use a recipe where the fruit is simmered in liquid first, this will get around the short maturing period somewhat. BBC simmer and stir recipe is good.

Gonna try that one. I am very late with my cake this year, as usual! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you don't do that one do the Nigella Simnel cake recipe, just do it the night before even. It is so yum and does have that xmas cake taste, you can always add a bit of booze to the mix or soak the fruit if you like before hand and you don't have to put the marzipan in the center. It's so yum you won't regret it.

Advertisement