Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Card

• 07-12-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I am 21, living at home with parents. I'm a student

I am trying to apply for a medical card but it keeps asking for parent's medical card number???

They don't have one. Surely I can apply for myself if I am an adult?
    Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

CatEyed92 wrote: »

I am trying to apply for a medical card but it keeps asking for parent's medical card number???

Help!

If you are under 25 and not earning money equal to the current SWA rate then you are deemed dependent on your parents. In that case if they don't have a medical card you won't be entitled either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

The rules were changed in the late 80's or early 90's to stop students getting the medical card unless their parents alread had one.

For a single person the full rate dole payment is one or two euro above the treshold to qualify for the medical card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For a single person the full rate dole payment is one or two euro above the treshold to qualify for the medical card.

Except (not that its relevant in this case), that if your sole income is from SW, you qualify automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

woodoo wrote: »

If you are under 25 and not earning money equal to the current SWA rate then you are deemed dependent on your parents. In that case if they don't have a medical card you won't be entitled either.

You are entitled to be tried as an adult.
    You are entitled to fight and die for you country.
    You are entitled to vote.

You are not entitled to be treated as an equal however! And there ate lots of "good arguments" why this country must adopt such policies of ageism against the under 25's

Of course its easy enough, most of you are leaving anyway and you dont really have the financial resources or established social networks to make a concerted and coordinated play against the powers that be nor the discriminatory practices laid against you!

Unlike the aged who gain support from other groups, as eventually they too will become the aged, youth does not return, and so loses support from the egocentric nature of other age groups.

Solution? Like everyone probably tells you...

Grow up! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Mod can close this thread. Thanks to those who had something to contribute.
    I'll find out information myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I know not everyone should be entitled to a medical card. But why in this country unlike america, why cant people up to the age of 25 or maybe its 27 be on theyre parents health insurance policy for the price of a child. If the government when deciding if you entitled to a medical card and the rules are you cant have one if your parents have one. Why cant they make it the law you can be covered on your parents policy for the price of a child.

It would end the constant moaning of VHI that young people wont buy insurance as it too expensive as they must pay for the claims of the older people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I know not everyone should be entitled to a medical card. But why in this country unlike america, why cant people up to the age of 25 or maybe its 27 be on theyre parents health insurance policy for the price of a child. If the government when deciding if you entitled to a medical card and the rules are you cant have one if your parents have one. Why cant they make it the law you can be covered on your parents policy for the price of a child.

It would end the constant moaning of VHI that young people wont buy insurance as it too expensive as they must pay for the claims of the older people

Health insurers give massive discounts to students. My health insurance with laya was 130 quid.
    The same policy for an adult is 1030.
    I don't have to have the same policy either as my parents (shouldnt need hip replacement cover yet!) just so long as they have health insurance with them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

CatEyed92 wrote: »

Help!

Just like the grant, you'll be assessed based on your parents income. Even if you are financially independent of your parents!

Used to be a nice little loophole for wealthy children to get the grant while getting cash of their parents!

Most colleges offer free/reduced GP care and subsidised physios etc anyway so your medical costs shouldn't be too high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

cfc1988 banned for trolling.

Per the OP's request, thread closed.

OP, you might want to try the state benefits forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement