Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSN and/or Y

Options
  • 07-12-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to give me the down low on these guys? These guys being Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

My sister has the Deja Vu cd, which I'm listening to now. I quite like it. Some songs stand out a lot more than the others, typically the ones I've already heard. I'm quite liking them at the moment. Not a full on experience by any measure, but still suitably rock enough to interest me. And their musical heritage interests me as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pretty much anything any of them did in the late-60s and early-70s is worth checking out. Neil Young's records are pretty well known, but I also recommend David Crosby's "If I could only remember my name" and Steven Stills' "Mannassas" albums

First two Buffalo Springfield albums are well worth listening to. Although, most of the Neil Young songs on the first album had Richie Furey singing as the producer, or someone, thought Young's voice was too weird sounding.

Crosby did some good stuff with The Byrds, comes to the fore around the 'Younger Than Yesterday' album and was involved briefly with 'The Notorious Byrd Brothers' album. 5th Dimension is good too, their first couple of album are more pop-based and would have more Gene Clark contributions as opposed to much Crosby stuff. Wouldn't recommend the album original Byrds did in '73.

Can't say I know too much of Nash's stuff pre-CSN but The Hollies did have a couple of hits.

Never really got into any of the solo albums or later CSN/Y albums. As loyatemu said Crosby's 'If I Could Only Remember My Name' is decent, as is Stills' Mannassas stuff with ex-Byrd Chris Hillman.

Stills' first solo album has it's moments but never really got into the rest, which is disappointing since I'm a big fan of his stuff on both the CSN and Buffalo Springfield albums.

There's an album of recordings of just him in studio playing tracks that would end up on solo albums and CSN albums, recorded after Buffalo Springfield. He played on a 'Super Sessions' album of Al Kooper's that has Mike Bloomfield on it as well. Some good guitar work and it's from around the same post-Springfield time.

There's an interesting collaboration knockin' about where Stills and John Sebastian are playing guitar, Jimi Hendrix is on bass, and Buddy Miles drums around some Timothy Leary speeches.

I'm leaving out Neil Young because you could list off all of his albums, from '68 for the next ten years, and they're all good.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Advertisement