Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games For Xmas

• 07-12-2012 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Well lads and lasses any recommendations? Usually get call of duty but Want something different. Any good games that you would highly recommend. Anything would interest me as long as its good. I have FIFA but any game from any genre would interest me , whether its a shooter, sports or racing etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sonic 06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sonic 06.

^ or Far Cry 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭dembaba

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sonic 06.
    Sold it to my 6 year old cousin a year ago bud. Was better on the dreamcast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Buy it again. Best game ever.

It was never even good on dreamcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Narrow the criteria a bit please. What platform? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I can vouch for Dishonoured, great game. Playing atm and loving it.
    Also The Walking Dead, it's more of an interactive story, but the story is brilliant.

Other games that I want to have a go at are,
    Assassins Creed III
    Hitman Absolution
    Far Cry 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

RPS are doing a Christmas run down of what they consider to be the most important games of 2012, so far the list is looking pretty good and any would be highly recommended (though I haven't played that Thirty Flights of Loving yet).

Miner Wars 2081 also looks pretty awesome, a new version of Descent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i would recomend farcry3 if you do like SP games. from the sound of it it is fantastic.
    if you are one of those cod/fifa players, then going with new cod maybe is not that bad idea. or you can try getting premium BF3, because new expansion just came out and it is the awesome stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just get Dark Souls and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

penev10 wrote: »
    Just get Dark Souls and be done with it.

For someone who's clearly a casual gamer? Man you're evil :P

I'd recommend Far Cry 3 , playing it at the moment and it's fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭dembaba

Mr E wrote: »
    Narrow the criteria a bit please. What platform? :o
    Apologies., PS3. Anyone here play need for speed or madden nfl? Friend here in college thinks their good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Madden 13, great game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

dembaba wrote: »
    Apologies., PS3. Anyone here play need for speed or madden nfl? Friend here in college thinks their good.

Haven't played the latest few Need For Speed games, but you pretty much get what you expect with that series. Handy, fun, pick-up-and-play racers. You can't really go too far wrong, I reckon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My friend far cry 3 is the only game you need this christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Played the majority of the new releases over the last month and have to agree that nothing comes close to far cry 3's single player.Loads to do in the side quests and mini games if you get abit bored of following the story.Haven't touched (and probably won't) the multi-player , but I hear its decent enough.Its been compared to Skyrim, and I think its a fair enough comparison.Definitely my GOTY,followed closely by Xcom and the Walking Dead.
    Would recommend Dishonoured as well, but you'd have it completed in a day, so not worth the buy unless you'll play through it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Meatwad wrote: »
    Played the majority of the new releases over the last month and have to agree that nothing comes close to far cry 3's single player.Loads to do in the side quests and mini games if you get abit bored of following the story.Haven't touched (and probably won't) the multi-player , but I hear its decent enough.Its been compared to Skyrim, and I think its a fair enough comparison.Definitely my GOTY,followed closely by Xcom and the Walking Dead.
    Would recommend Dishonoured as well, but you'd have it completed in a day, so not worth the buy unless you'll play through it a few times.

Would you need to play the First two before gettting far cry 3?

What sort of game is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

I'd recommend,

Sleeping Dogs( like gta).

Mass effect 1,2 and 3.

Batman Arkham Asylum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Htiman, far cry 3 , sleeping dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Far cry 3 hands down! Also the walking dead if you like epic stories and some of the best gaming characters of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Would you need to play the First two before gettting far cry 3?

What sort of game is it?

Nah, its a stand alone story. Picked up 2 myself just before 3 came out. Its alright but abit dated.End up spending more time travelling around the map than anything else.Got a bit bored of it so jumped into 3 and am loving it so far.

Far Cry is basically a first person shooter but has a brilliant levelling up system and is fairly open world.Along with following the main campaign there's a tonne of side quests or if you fancy it, you can just explore the world and do abit of hunting.Like rpgs you can level up your character and equipment by doing various tasks not connected to the main plot.Its brilliance is in how user friendly it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

For someone who's clearly a casual gamer? Man you're evil :P

Why should that preclude him from probably the best game of the generation?

He clearly has the time to put into COD and FIFA and that's all Dark Souls takes is time and patience.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anybody that hasn't recommended far cry 3 is a bastard of the highest order

the rest of you, good men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

XCOM for XMAS imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Didnt like Far cry 3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Kinda in the same both as the OP too.
    Gonna get a few games for the christman too.
    Recently got through ACIII there,thought it was only ok,Brotherhood is still my favourite of the series.Recently downloaded FFVIII on psn,so playing through that and really enjoying it.
    Gonna stick to the consoles for christmas and from reading through the other tread the most popular games seem to Hitman,Farcry,Dishonoured,Sleeping dogs.
    Right now I'm siding towards Dishonoured even though Farcry seems to be the most popular choice,kinda burnt out on FPS's atm,there just seems to be so many of them.
    Hell even the games I listed there are all close to that.
    I might even get resi 6 if I see it on the cheap

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Catherine for something different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

picking up nba 2k13 meself :) and possible farcry 3 ( not sure yet ) shall decide at the very last moment as usual :D might also pick up madden 13 but im not really a big nfl fan but i liked the game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

saiint wrote: »
    picking up nba 2k13 meself :) and possible farcry 3 ( not sure yet ) shall decide at the very last moment as usual :D might also pick up madden 13 but im not really a big nfl fan but i liked the game
    If ya pick up madden you join the boards league,its good craic,I only started playing this year

Advertisement