Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automotive photography

• 07-12-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on everything/anything related to automotive photography, be it gear, equipment, shooting styles, post-processing etc.

I know there's a spotted thread which is full of images but very little discussion from a photography point of view, other than the odd comment or where certain cars were spotted.

I also know there are a few great photographers on here who are involved in the area of automotive photography. I have had a long time love for cars and over the past year or two started to get into photography and hope to get more involved shooting cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

jozi wrote: »
    I also know there are a few great photographers

Hope it's about me hahaha :) Joking. I'm only amateur photographer.

Some of you probably know me from this thread -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362586&page=160 .My adventure with automotive photography or car spotting start in 2006/2007 however my first car photo was taken in 2004. Hard to believe but it was photo of Audi A3 and Audi A8. Was also hard to start this hobby because i was feeling ashamed to do it. People were looking at me like i'm a thief. I was always talking about my trip to Monaco. I said that one day i will go there and in 2008 dream come true. Since then i'm going there every year except 2010. Now there is more dreams. For example: Dubai, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Carmel, Monterey and few events:Goodwood Festival of Speed, Palm Beach Supercars Weekend, Wilton House Supercars and many more.

That was about me, no about my equipment. First camera was... TCM ?? Bought from thiefs who robbed wrong truck haha :) Camera was crashed by my dad in BMW X3 by rear armrest after about 3 months. Very bad camera but it wasn't working too long. Second one was Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX12. It's still only small camera but much better than one before it. I took a lot of photos with that camera and i was happy with them. They are good quality but it wasn't enough for me and i decide to buy something bigger. For some reason i took Sony SLR-A350 (Aplha 350). My first camera with replacement lens but the kit one was ok for me so i didn't buy a extra one. All what i bought for for that is tripod and bigger memory card. I had this camera for 3 years with few problems. Some of them were because of staff in PC World are assholes but the biggest problem of Sony is autofocus. It's gone on 2nd day of my holidays. Thanks God it was taking a photos. On last Cannonball (2012) camera stop working. All what it said was "camera error". I send it back to service but thet didn't know how to fix it and after few little fights they change it fo new camera (cover plan rules). Mannager of the shop where i was changing it made a mistake and gave me camera 300e cheaper than it was. I say that was recompense for all the problems they made to me. My newest camera is still Sony but now it is SLT-A57. Problem with this camera is small lens (18-55mm), previous one had 18-70mm. Now i'm planing to buy 18-135mm which should be good for me :)

All my photos are uploaded with imageshack. It's free until you have 500 photos on it. Then i do new e-mail and new imageshack account. I tried google picassa or something like this but it was too hard to take a links from it. Imaheshack is very easy to take a photo links from it. There is also flickr but it's not free :(

About my style: i have no style :) All what i can say is: when i'm taking photos of car i always squat. Cars look better then...

I can write about some situation when i was taking a photos if you want to but not now because i have to go work... I'm late already...

I hope that thread it about all this what i wrote :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

jozi wrote: »
    I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on everything/anything related to automotive photography, be it gear, equipment, shooting styles, post-processing etc.

I know there's a spotted thread which is full of images but very little discussion from a photography point of view, other than the odd comment or where certain cars were spotted.

I also know there are a few great photographers on here who are involved in the area of automotive photography. I have had a long time love for cars and over the past year or two started to get into photography and hope to get more involved shooting cars.

This might be shameless promotion but I'm currently curating a program on Speedhunters (an automotive website) which concentrates on automotive photography. It's still in its youth but I'm trying to encourage people to get out and take photographs, have guest photographers come on to talk about their careers etc. and set up monthly themes.

http://www.speedhunters.com/tag/iamthespeedhunter/

I recently done a short post about shooting the Toyota GT86 which might interest you : http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/behind-the-scenes-shooting-the-gt86/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    This might be shameless promotion but I'm currently curating a program on Speedhunters (an automotive website) which concentrates on automotive photography. It's still in its youth but I'm trying to encourage people to get out and take photographs, have guest photographers come on to talk about their careers etc. and set up monthly themes.

I recently done a short post about shooting the Toyota GT86 which might interest you : http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/behind-the-scenes-shooting-the-gt86/

Paddy, I've a PM on the way about something related to the above in away, just about to head out so not just enough time to read Marcinek's post or the link but will later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Just caught up on the latest IATS posts. Some really great stuff there. Solid idea - hopefully can contribute a bit over the coming months maybe when IDC kicks off. Keep up the good work chief!

I only really got into photography a few years ago when I had the opportunity to buy a Canon 450D, I later got a 50mm f1.8, before this I had a Fuji bridge camera but wanted something better. I try to mostly hit car shows for pics and that more or less seems to be it really. I'm building a e30 at the moment which I plan to take many pics of once done, other than that I've never done a photoshoot with a car(s), have some idea's though for when my E30 is finished.

Gonna put a pic up that I'm using for a poster for a meet next year, C&C welcome.

IMG_7537-6.jpg
    E30 BMW M3 - I'm hoping I might get a chance to shoot this car at some point, it's quite well known if your into E30's (and possibly BMW's).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

jozi we should as for some photosession with this car, i'd like to shoot this car as well :)

i was talking to him about it a few weeks ago but I don't know if anything will come off it. My cousin will prob help me out with some nice L lenses and flashes if I needed :)

Advertisement