Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TOTW suitable for small breed puppies?

• 07-12-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have purchased a bag of Taste of the Wild High Prairie and I am wondering if anybody could tell me if it is indeed suitable for a puppy as it says on zooplus.

I am worried because people are saying on forums they would not give that to their puppies as it has 2.1% calcium and high phosphate content which is bad for their bones?? :confused:

I have a 4 month old small breed puppy that currently weights 3kg.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is it food designed for a puppy or it it adult food?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

It does not say it is a puppy formula.

On zooplus it states:

All Life-Stages Nutrition
    - Taste of the Wild dog food is formulated to meet the recommended nutrient profiles of AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) and fulfils the nutritional needs of your pet throughout all stages of life.

However I looked up their website and their puppy formula which I could not find anywhere in Europe has only 1.4% calcium whhich seems to be what is generally reccomended for puppies.

I don't know why I never do proper research into everything before I buy things like this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt know 100% myself as im not too familiar with the calcium ratio for puppies, but hopefully someone else might be able to advise you.

What breed is your puppy again? If its a very small breed, it might have a lot of its growing done already by 4 months, so it might not be an issue. Larger breeds take a lot longer to grow and mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

She is a bichon frise. I hope that is the case, they really should have clearer guidelines on these foods at least on their websites. Thank you for all your help!

Advertisement