Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash For Coins Machine

Options
  • 07-12-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Does anyone know of any coin express machines around Salthill or city center, i'm moving house and have this bag full of coins i wanna cash in. Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

There is one next to Texaco next to the Harbour Hotel on New Dock Road. This charged commission though.

Would you not just bag it up and bring it to the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

Nestor's Supervalu on Fr. Griffin rd. have a coin machine but I think it charges something like 9% which is a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nestor's SuperValu on Fr. Griffin Road have one, and I think Joyce's Supermarket on Kingston Road have one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 meathite

I'm moving tomorrow so haven't time to get to the bank right now. Wow 9 % that's alot are you sure the Nestor's Supervalu on Fr. Griffin rd. still have one i thought it had gone because that suit perfectly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I used the one in Nestor's SuperValu about a month ago. It's in front of one of the tills, near the drinks and wine section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Seapoint now have one as well AFAIK, I'd imagine the % might be lower as they expect you to lose it in there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I used the one in Nestor's SuperValu about a month ago. It's in front of one of the tills, near the drinks and wine section.

+1 to this, also used it about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

just spotted that the one in texaco near th docks charges 12.5%!!!!! AVOID!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

meathite wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any coin express machines around Salthill or city center, i'm moving house and have this bag full of coins i wanna cash in. Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Used to be one in Joyce's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

These threads are a good gauge of unemployment levels:

Two years ago, we'd have been offering to count them by hand well before post 10, and the bidding war on commission charged usually went down to about 5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Shanley wrote: »
    Seapoint now have one as well AFAIK, I'd imagine the % might be lower as they expect you to lose it in there :P

Its Only 2% or 3% max

Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

any of the shops in salthill would take it if it wasnt a huge amount and was bagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My advice, do your shopping in Tesco, use the self service machine, and when it asks for payment, start feeding it the coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Do coin machines in Supermarkets not charge ya for it as well though?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

flazio wrote: »
    My advice, do your shopping in Tesco, use the self service machine, and when it asks for payment, start feeding it the coins.

Be careful with this, one night I broke the machine, the balance went back to zero and I lost out on five euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Do coin machines in Supermarkets not charge ya for it as well though?

I think they mean the 'pay by coin' till as opposed to a 'coin to cash' machine in the supermarket.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

paconnors wrote: »
    Its Only 2% or 3% max

Pa

Thanks for the tip! Nipped out there tonight and exchanged the coins for only 2% commission. Bought some lovely striploin steaks with the proceeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

tesco self service checkout, 0% charge
    Not sure how it would respond to gallons of copper coins though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Oh sorry! D'oh me. :rolleyes:

I'd love to know actually if, when, you dumped in a load of coin to pay for your groceries, and you were due a couple of euro back in change, would ya get it all back in coin?!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Oh sorry! D'oh me. :rolleyes:

I'd love to know actually if, when, you dumped in a load of coin to pay for your groceries, and you were due a couple of euro back in change, would ya get it all back in coin?!? :D

It depends whether the machine has been filled recently or not, if it has you can get euros out but sometimes it'll just be shrapnel. I'd say I've rationalised my coin about 60-70% of the time.

• Advertisement

Well it'll only keep accepting coins up to the amount you owe. You'll only get change from your last coin, then any extra you put in will just come straight through.

Mods seems to prefer multiple threads on the same topic so here goes another new thread on this... :confused:

Anyone got up to date info on the location of coin counting machines around the city? I've tried the one in Nestor's Supervalu and Joyces in Knocknacarra but both are out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I think there's a machine that does it at Sea Point in Salthill

Think there's a commission fee

Thanks! I cycled out to Seapoint and yeah there's a machine just inside the main door. It's fast at counting and only 2% commission. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

2% is good, most of the machines in the supermarkets charge 9.5%!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

J o e wrote: »
    Thanks! I cycled out to Seapoint and yeah there's a machine just inside the main door. It's fast at counting and only 2% commission. :)

Even I wouldn't count it for 2%.

That's great to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Shanley wrote: »

Used the coin counter in seapoint a few days ago, cost is 2%. Very simple to use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco have just installed a coin-counting machine right across from the self-service checkouts.
    Nowhere does it say how much it costs to use it until you 'click on'. It's only 9.9%!!

People must be really stupid to use it, but I'm sure Tesco are aware of this which is why they installed it.

Advertisement