Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting Dog Spayed cost?

• 07-12-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need to get my dog spayed she is six months old, does anyone know where i can get her done cheaper than my local vet (€180), don't get me wrong I don't mind spending the €180 but I am on illness benefit and i only get 188 a week so 180 is a major stretch. she is not a big dog. i am in the midlands.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What breed is she? It will cost more the larger the animal. Where in the midlands would suit you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I would say anywhere else!!

My dog only cost E55. He normally charges E80 - but I got the dog through the WSPCA so there was a discount.

I live in the South East though - so can't recommend any where local to you.

I do know that some SPCA's run specials with vets where, for example, for a couple of weeks it only costs E50 to neuter a dog or cat. You could ring the local SPCA to find out if they run that programe where you are?

Finally, some vets have discounted prices if your on benefits- so if you ring around you might find one like that. I think my local petmania store does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

TillyGirl wrote: »
    What breed is she? It will cost more the larger the animal. Where in the midlands would suit you?
    she is a mixed breed i was told she was jack russel/shiatzu
    but i dont know for sure but there is definitely terrier in her :D
    floor to top of her back is about 9-10 inches.
    i would prefer athlone or roscommon town, i dont want to sound mean about this issue, please dont anyone get the wrong impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Don't be silly OP you are right to shop around. that does sound very dear. what weight is she roughly? my mam was quoted €80 for her 4kg bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Just got my lad done on Wednesday. €100 for the castration, €40 for pre-op Blood tests (liver & kidney function - not necessary but I got it done just to be safe) and €65 for his microchip and passport. Happy Christmas Dog :D

Edit just see the bit about the weight : 11.7Kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You could ring around and see do any of the vets do dogs trust vouchers, some people on benefits can receive them and get the dog done for €20. They would probably be all gone this time of year but a fresh batch usually comes in in January.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Don't be silly OP you are right to shop around. that does sound very dear. what weight is she roughly? my mam was quoted €80 for her 4kg bitch.

no more than 20lbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

OP - you could look inot Dogs Trust vouchers, they do a scheme where people recieving certain social welfare benifits can get dogs neutered for €20. At this time of year, there is very little hope there are any left but it is worth enquiring to see if you could get your dog done in the new year on the scheme.

For a 10kg dog (your dog is around this mark, I think... just over 9kg?!) €180 sounds a quite steep. Defo ask around to see if anyone does it cheaper (you'd be surprised the differences in prices!). When you ask, make sure you know what is covered - some vets will give a quote for only the op and not the buster collar etc. afterwards so just be sure you know what you are paying for and if there are any hidden extras!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

€180 seems VERY steep for such a small dog! I'd definitely be looking at a different Vet. I've paid €100 for my two in Cork. One is smallish & the other was a larger pup but still only €100 each time.

It's not a laparoscopic spay you've been quoted for is it? They can be more pricey. Only two vets I think are doing it though, one in Cork & the other maybe Meath direction so it doesn't sound like it.

as far as i know it's just a regular spaying (is that a word) anyway i was looking at dogs trust and they have a list of vets but you have to call a 1890 number to find out what they are, i dont have a landline, does anyone have a link to the list? sorry for all the Q's :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

A friend of mine availed of dogs trust during the year, cost was 20 euro as she was on social welfare. She had rang dogs trust, they asked what social benefit she was receiving and gave her a list of vets to contact. There are a limited number of vouchers available each year, so you'd be better waiting till January as this years are well gone. If your area is not covered by dogs trust, don't know if its country wide. Contact the social welfare or citizens information office. Vouchers are limited and used up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I paid €155 for nala but she was over 20kg at the time and that covered everything including after care and buster collar. If you go to a rural vet they're usually cheaper. I've changed to a rural vet because of cost. For example my dog at my mom and dads was attacked and had a bad bite on her leg. the rural vet came to clinic at 8 at night gave her injection, antibiotics and shaved and flushed out the bite for €55! If that was the other vet it would've been €70 before they even looked at it because it was out of hours. Definatly look at other vets

Advertisement