Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet Ignorance..need help!!

Options
  • 07-12-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, know there are similar threads, but as a non tech head, I started to get lost when the tech talk starts.

We’ve had a laptop which is on it’s last legs. We don’t need a machine for typing/document work. It would be for internet browsing, skype and for kids to watch shows/movies. We would also need something with decent storage for photos/short videos and some music. We feel a tablet would be fine for our needs, and I’m leaning towards a 10 inch screen, though I’d def consider smaller too. For the kids (they are both small so would be for supervised play), they love some of the apps we have on our phones, so if we could download apps to the tablet, and also either download cartoons to it and/or be able to save cartoons to a USB key so they could be played. We regularly have long journeys, and dvd player gets turned on for last leg, so if I can avoid buying a second one and just use it for cartoons it’d be great. So I need:

- Skype use, webcam and speakers
    - Internet Browsing
    - App capable
    - USB capable (not sure if any have this)??
    - Decent storage for pics, videos and kids shows

I’m not anti-Apple, but I don’t like how no other equip other than Apple equip can be used on them. Plus, I know they are a good machine, but just feel as non tech heads, something at that price would be a bit wasted on us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Archos 9Gen, is a nice tablet, it has a USB port at the back of the Tablet. can use it to Watch movies, can also download VLC player

http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/index.html?country=ie&lang=en

as far as i know Komplette is the cheapest around that sell this tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Seems like a decent enough spec for the money, woulld go to D.I.D an look at 9" one there, comes with keyboard/Cover for €149 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Always look a 75% off deal in the mouth.

800x480 is NOT "High Resolution"; it's actually 480p, which is less than half the resolution of 720p, or less than a fifth of 1080p.
    "Packed Full" of half your typical RAM for a tablet and a "A13 Boxchip" which I have never heard of, and I'm going to assume it's not much more powerful than a graphing calculator.
    The storage is 4GB total. About 1GB of that will be used by the OS, leaving 3GB to squeeze apps into, making an mSD purchase essential.
    Given the sellers propensity to fluff and exaggerate this unit's deficiencies, I am also going to assume "Hours of battery life" is quite literally 2 hours, in the best conditions.
    Also considering they've cut corners on the RAM, the CPU, and the Storage, and the Display, I'm going to also wager in order to stuff a 3G antenna into a 9" space they also chose a bare-spec antenna at that, which will net you poor reception, and additionally probably also have a poor Wifi antenna to boot. Which is to say nothing of the speakers which you probably wouldn't be able to hear over your car engine.

Avoid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement