Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account hacked?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been done to death elsewhere, but a quick search did not reveal that it has been.

Ok, so I haven't used my PS3 in months and haven't played Battlefield in an even longer period.

I got two strange emails today. Obviously, I will check to see if I can log into Battlefield again, when I go home. I am just wondering what anybody thinks I should do now.

Should I respond to the email now, or is it a phishing attempt?

The email says it is from Origin and the email address is EA@em.ea.com.
    Hi ,
    You're receiving this email because you requested a password reset for your Origin account. If you did not request this change, you can safely ignore this email.
    Click the link below to begin the password reset process:

and:
    Your Origin password has been successfully updated.
    If you did not request this password change or believe you're receiving this email in error, please contact Origin Help
    for immediate assistance.
    Regards,
    Your friends at Origin

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Get on to EA support immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Thanks, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Ah ****e , I had this and I completely lost my account started back at the start at rank 1 lost all my stats and unlocks , get on to them straight away

Thanks, I'll probably try that email address now.

I was still able to play Battlefield. I was at the bottom rank alright, but maybe thats where I was previously. I never really got into it or played it much.

I'm just a bit baffled. What was the point of the whole thing? If my account was hacked, I don't think there was anything to gain tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Do you have any EA games on PC? if so then they are probabaly after your account for those. I'm not sure what they can do with your PS3 BF3 account

• Advertisement

Do you have any EA games on PC? if so then they are probabaly after your account for those. I'm not sure what they can do with your PS3 BF3 account

I don't have any games on my laptop, bar one ancient game by id software.

It's actually BF2 on the PS3. I don't have BF3. I don't have a clue what the attraction would be to a hacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Did the email use your name, or just say "Hi,"

Did the email use your name, or just say "Hi,"

It didn't use my name - just 'hi'.

It didn't use my name - just 'hi'.

Fake so I would suspect. Legit emails from companies will always use your full name.

I'm almost certain that I never set up an Origin account in the first place.

Maybe the email is fake, maybe if I click on the link I'll be asked to provide details and that's how they get you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Looking at the e-mail address you got the mails from would suggest they are fake. The real ones are "****@ea.com" the one you got was: "***@em.ea.com"

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Looking at the e-mail address you got the mails from would suggest they are fake. The real ones are "****@ea.com" the one you got was: "***@em.ea.com"

Thats a subdomain of ea.com, nothing fake about that. Its probably spoofed though.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Thats a subdomain of ea.com, nothing fake about that. Its probably spoofed though.

So is the consensus that I should not bother to reply to the EA@em.ea.com email address so?

So is the consensus that I should not bother to reply to the EA@em.ea.com email address so?

Just go directly to the ea/origin site, don't click anything in the email unless you are 100% sure its legit. From the site you can find the contact details you need to query the email, or try to log into your account and see if your password was changed. The mail might be legit, but not worth the hassle taking a chance it isn't. Like i said before, most places will address you by your username/real name as a way of proving they are who they say they are. A mail just saying "hi" and asking you to click a link to recover your password sounds really dodgy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm almost certain that I never set up an Origin account in the first place.

Maybe the email is fake, maybe if I click on the link I'll be asked to provide details and that's how they get you.

If you've played any recent BF game, you almost certainly have an EA account, and therefore an Origin account.

Spear wrote: »
    If you've played any recent BF game, you almost certainly have an EA account, and therefore an Origin account.

I see. I just don't recall having to set one up. Maybe I did it all from the PS3 with minimum fuss and that's why I don't recall it.

Advertisement